It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Head pressure, dizziness, detached feeling

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2004, 03:23 PM   #1
    Stewaroo

Stewaroo HB User
    Head pressure, dizziness, detached feeling

I'm new here and have read some of you having similar problems to myself. About 4 weeks ago I went out clubbing and took some ecstacy, something I hadn't done for a good while and hadn't planned on doing again. Anyway I thought nothing of it but about 4-5 days after the weekend I woke felling slightly dizzy and sort of detached from everything, everything just didn't seem quite right. I then came down with a nasty head cold and was very congested, this then moved down into my chest. In the next few days I started getting feelings of pressure in my head, it was difficult to localise it precisely but it seemed like it was kind of behind my eyes or right in the middle of my brain. Things escalated when one night the pressure feeling got much worse, it felt like my head was going to explode! At this point I started getting pretty anxious about it all thinking the drugs I'd taken recently were causing this. The cold symptoms cleared up but the pressure feeling, dizziness and detached feeling remained. I was also noticing that my vision seemed different when the pressure was bad. I could focus fine but if things were moving fast etc like football on the TV it was hard for me to watch.

I booked an appt. with my doctor and told him everything including the fact I'd taken some drugs recently, he brushed this off as not relevant and made me realise it was indeed unlikely that it was the cause of my problems. I'd had similar amounts many a time when I was younger and suffered no ill effects whatsoever. Anyway, the doctor looked in my ears and noted that they were full of wax, and that one of my glands was swollen. He thought this and the fact that I may have fluid in my euthesian tubes or whatever they are called were causing my problems, so I booked to have my ears syringed which was a week wait.

In the week following the same routine happened every day, I would wake still feeling slightly dizzy (no room spinning, just sort of lightheaded, yet heavy headed at the same time?! Its so hard to describe.) and detached, but with no pressure feeling. Withing an hr or 2 of getting up the pressure feeling would start to surface and grow in intensity, as it got worse I would also get a feeling of numbness across my nose and some parts of my face sometimes. The pressure usually peaked at around 9-10 pm. I went and had my ears syringed two days ago and it did nothing for me at all. I am still in the same routine of getting up feeling slightly better then the symptoms increasing through the day.

Its taken over my life, I am about to sit the first of my uni finals on tuesday and I can hardly concentrate, when the pressure starts its impossible to think about anything else its so intense. I will go back to my doctor tomorrow or the day after but am expecting any of a hundred or so reponses from him from what I have read of other people's experiences on here.

Has anyone else had the same symptoms as me and could hint at what could be wrong with me? I don't think my doctor appreciated how bad I was feeling when I saw him last and things have worsened if anything. When I mentioned it was stopping me concentrating he said it shouldn't affect my study?! How the hell would he know, i know for a fact it is! It wasn't asif I could just tell him he was wrong as he'd probably think I was just lying trying to get extenuating circumstances for my exams.

Besides all the stress etc I think I'm coping as best I can with it and don't feel particularly anxious often. It seems to me that when I do get anxious it is purely as a result of the feelings starting and not the reverse.

Any of your comments are massively appreciated!

Stewart

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2004, 05:12 AM   #2
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
    Re: Head pressure, dizziness, detached feeling

I too have felt EXACTLY how you are feeling! And I know how hard it is to describe the feeling to someone else. You just wish your doctor could crawl inside your body so they could feel and understand the sensation.
    Though I haven't done any illegal drugs, (and whether or not that has anything to do with how your feeling) I felt the same way you did for over two weeks before they figured out what was wrong.
    I had been to the ER and my regular doctor and then back to the ER. It was then I had two CAT scans: One of my head to check for any brain abnormalities and one of my sinus cavity. Now keep in mind I had no signs of sinus problems (green things coming out of my face, sneezing, coughing,,,,) But the CAT scan showed a chronic sinus infection. Same symptoms: Dizzy, pressure in the middle of my brain and eyes, hard time with vision, ear ringing etc,,,, They put me on a strong dose of Augmentin. (A sinus antibiotic) and Allegra. It took about a week, but now I feel great. All symptoms are gone. I am still taking the Allegra and probably will for weeks as these types of sinus infections can take months to clear up.
    I would ask your doctor about having a possible infection of some sort. They HATE to prescribe antibiotics these days, but I will tell you I feel great now. Good Luck - I know how you feel!

Old 05-14-2004, 09:19 AM   #3
    Stewaroo

Stewaroo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by susieq0726
    I too have felt EXACTLY how you are feeling! And I know how hard it is to describe the feeling to someone else. You just wish your doctor could crawl inside your body so they could feel and understand the sensation.
    Though I haven't done any illegal drugs, (and whether or not that has anything to do with how your feeling) I felt the same way you did for over two weeks before they figured out what was wrong.
    I had been to the ER and my regular doctor and then back to the ER. It was then I had two CAT scans: One of my head to check for any brain abnormalities and one of my sinus cavity. Now keep in mind I had no signs of sinus problems (green things coming out of my face, sneezing, coughing,,,,) But the CAT scan showed a chronic sinus infection. Same symptoms: Dizzy, pressure in the middle of my brain and eyes, hard time with vision, ear ringing etc,,,, They put me on a strong dose of Augmentin. (A sinus antibiotic) and Allegra. It took about a week, but now I feel great. All symptoms are gone. I am still taking the Allegra and probably will for weeks as these types of sinus infections can take months to clear up.
    I would ask your doctor about having a possible infection of some sort. They HATE to prescribe antibiotics these days, but I will tell you I feel great now. Good Luck - I know how you feel!
    It makes me feel so much better to hear you've had the same problem susie and are feelling better. I could very much imagine it being a sinus infection now as it did start when I got a nasty bunged up head cold. I hadn't thought this would be possible as I too have no runny nose etc now, and my airways seem pretty clear. I will go to my doctor tomorrow and mention this to him and see what he says. Hopefully he will send me for a CAT scan as I have my exams starting on Tuesday! I don't think my doctor grasped how bad I was feeling when I saw him last time and he seemed sure it would clear itself soon.

One question, did you find the pressure and dizziness you had were constant or was it worse at certain times etc? Mine seems better when I first get up but starts soon and gets progressively worse through the day?

Old 05-14-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Yes - My dizzyness would hit me whenever it felt the need! I would be fine when I woke up, go to work and then it would hit. I would have to sit at my deck and not move until I felt safe enough to drive home. The problem was when it hit it lasted for HOURS. Sometimes into the next day. I would be OK for a day or two and then it would hit me again. It was a weird dizzyness too - Not the kind that makes you sick to your stomach, just a weird unbalanced feeling and I felt very weak. I also had to be careful when moving my head as that made it worse.
    The doctor gave me Antivert which is a dizzy medicine. It helped with the dizzyness, but made me feel funny - Kinda like having "medicine head".
    You might want your doctor to do some ear tests too just in case. If there is something going on in your inner ear, he won't be able to tell just by looking in them. There are all kinds of different tests to check for deeper problems. Let me know how your doctors appt goes. Hope your feeling better soon. I know,,,,it sucks feeling so lousy.

Old 05-14-2004, 07:02 PM   #5
    Ninamarie

Ninamarie HB User

The drugs might not be the cause of your problem, but keep doing them and they could be the cause of your death...problem solved.

Old 05-15-2004, 05:31 AM   #6
    dizzyblonde1

dizzyblonde1 HB User

Hi stewart, it seems almost impossble to give any definite kind of diagnosis for smptoms like those you describe as so many conditions manifest themselves in this kind of vague, but overwhelming way. From what you describe however - especially the head pressure, the facial numbness, the visual problem and the difficuly concentrating, that you may be experiencing atypical migraines (migraine without the headache).

I would suggest keeping a detailed log of your symptoms and then getting back to your Dr for further investigation. If it does turn out to be migranous there are many things which can be done to help including drugs and diet modification. Good Luck, x

Old 05-15-2004, 02:05 PM   #7
    Emsybobs
    Inactive

Emsybobs HB User

Dizzy blonde - good to see you on here again - how are you doing - are the drugs working? xxx

Old 05-17-2004, 02:37 PM   #8
    Stewaroo

Stewaroo HB User

Well I went back to see my doctor and it was a waste of time as expected, partly my fault though I feel in hindsight. I had a load of things I wanted to tell him but forgot most of them as soon as I walked in and kind of just sat there and got talked to. He still thinks my problems are caused by blocked eustachian tubes and told me to keep steaming my head in a bowl and told me to get Sudafed tablets which are over the counter decongestants. I've been like this for a month now and I'd bet my bottom dollar I'll be back at the doctor in 1 or 2 weeks time feeling exactly the same. I'm think I may have a chronic sinus infection as susie suggested and would like a CAT scan, I didn't have the guts to mention it to the doctor as he seemed to belittle my symptoms somewhat and I very much doubt he would have gone for it anyway. It was a pitty as I saw the same doctor who I saw last time. I was hoping for it to be a different one, sods law I suppose.

Susie, if you're around, I was just wondering what the dosage of augmentin it was that your doctor gave you? My housemate had a gum infection a few weeks back and has some augmentin left over, only seven tablets though which I doubt is enough, as he was taking three a day! I'm just tempted to try them to see if they help at all but perhaps its a bad idea.

I have my first exam tomorrow whilst dealing with this, really worried but hopefully I won't feel too dizzy of full-headed. Was hoping to go and see my tutor to warn him in advance that I may experience some effect on my exams from being ill, but that went out the window when my doctor again insisted I just have 'eustachian catahrr'.

I think it has been a bit better overall the last two days but I often wonder if im just dealing with it better, hard to tell. Still, trying to stay positive and determined to get better soon!

Old 05-18-2004, 05:10 AM   #9
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi
    Yes I am still here and wondered how you were doing. I took 14 days of Augmentin 875 mg each pill. I took them every 12 hours. I think I should have taken them an additional week, but my doc decided to give me Allegra instead which has really helped. I also take 800 mg of Motrin that helps with the pressure in my head.
    I have been dizzy free now for almost two weeks. Every once in awhile I feel a little weird, but it goes away quickly and does not bother me too much.
    My regular doctor did not order the CAT scan - I went to the ER as my really bad spell happened over a weekend. I DEMANDED they do something as I was sick and tired of them telling me it was really nothing. I know how I felt and I knew something was wrong. They did two scans: one to rule out anything wrong with my brain (it was good to know I had one!!!!) and the other was a sinus scan. This is where they found the infection, and said I had probably had it for a long time.
    Basically this is what I would suggest: You need to start ruling out things. Have your ears checked. If it's not that, have the CAT scan. This way you can start to "weed" out possible issues. I was sooooo worried I had a brain tumor and the not knowing made it worse. Once I had the scans and I knew what was wrong, I knew what actions I had to take to get my self better. If in fact you have an infection, it won't go away by itself. And since you had a nasty cold prior, you very well may have an infection. I know I am not a doctor, but if you start the process and have the tests done, you will feel better about what you're dealing with. Don't be afraid to ask for these tests. It's your health and you KNOW your not feeling good. Don't let your doctor tell you it's nothing. If it were him feeling the same way you are, you KNOW he would do the tests! Keep me posted - I am cheering for you!

Old 05-20-2004, 05:21 AM   #10
    Stewaroo

Stewaroo HB User

Quote:
    Hi
    Yes I am still here and wondered how you were doing. I took 14 days of Augmentin 875 mg each pill. I took them every 12 hours. I think I should have taken them an additional week, but my doc decided to give me Allegra instead which has really helped. I also take 800 mg of Motrin that helps with the pressure in my head.
    I have been dizzy free now for almost two weeks. Every once in awhile I feel a little weird, but it goes away quickly and does not bother me too much.
    My regular doctor did not order the CAT scan - I went to the ER as my really bad spell happened over a weekend. I DEMANDED they do something as I was sick and tired of them telling me it was really nothing. I know how I felt and I knew something was wrong. They did two scans: one to rule out anything wrong with my brain (it was good to know I had one!!!!) and the other was a sinus scan. This is where they found the infection, and said I had probably had it for a long time.
    Basically this is what I would suggest: You need to start ruling out things. Have your ears checked. If it's not that, have the CAT scan. This way you can start to "weed" out possible issues. I was sooooo worried I had a brain tumor and the not knowing made it worse. Once I had the scans and I knew what was wrong, I knew what actions I had to take to get my self better. If in fact you have an infection, it won't go away by itself. And since you had a nasty cold prior, you very well may have an infection. I know I am not a doctor, but if you start the process and have the tests done, you will feel better about what you're dealing with. Don't be afraid to ask for these tests. It's your health and you KNOW your not feeling good. Don't let your doctor tell you it's nothing. If it were him feeling the same way you are, you KNOW he would do the tests! Keep me posted - I am cheering for you!
    What do you think I should say to my doctor Susie? I'm going to make sure I see a different one to the one of seen previously but I'm worried he'll just shrug it off as being blocked eustachian tubes like the other guy, which I'm sure it isn't. Surely just having blocked eustachian tubes could not make me feel dizzy, give me extreme head pressure and affect my eyesight?! Incidentally, one of my friend's apparently has blocked eustachian tubes at the minute and the only symptoms he has are slight fullness in his ears and sometimes clicking in his ears when he moves his jaw. My problems don't even feel like its my ears, its my head!

I'm only 20 so I'm thinking they may be reluctant to send me for scans etc as it is obviously very unlikely I have a tumour etc at this age. The doctor did press on my forhead and cheeks last time I went presumably checking my sinuses, but I have no pain there. Did you have pain/pressure in your cheeks or forehead as mine seems to be further back somewhat. I'm guessing its perhaps rare to have a chronic sinus infection without any 'sinus' symptoms otherwise surely he would have considered it as a possibilty.

Unsurprisingly, the Sudafed he told me to take have done nothing for me, infact, I seem to have slept less well while taking them which it lists as a possible side effect, so I think I'll stop taking them.

Its so annoying how there are no obvious physical symptoms with this to make people realise how you are feeling. My housemates must be sick to death of me mentioning it and I can tell they just think I'm overreacting to whatever I have. I wish they could feel what it is like just for a few moments, then they would understand.

Old 05-20-2004, 05:56 AM   #11
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I agree. Sometimes the doctors can be such jerks. I didn't have any pain in my face either. And NO common symptoms of a typical sinus infection. None at all. The pressure I had was also way back in my head. It felt like it was in the middle of my brain.
    From your words you use I can tell you live in Europe somewhere. I don't know what your health care is like there, but if possible, I would go to an emergency room in a hospital. They will be able to do the CAT scan right there in the hospital. I would tell the doctor that you have been suffering from this for weeks now and that you can't take it anymore. I would tell him that you have tried everything and nothing seems to help. Also tell him that you know someone (me :O) that had similar symptoms and after my sinus scan it was found that I had a bad chronic sinus infection. Tell him that it is affecting your studies and you are having trouble focusing on what you need to accomplish.
    The first time I went to the ER, they just said it would go away and gave me Antivert for the dizzyness. The second time I went back and DEMANDED they do a CAT scan. I tell ya,,,,the look on the doctor's face was priceless when the scan revealed an infection. He kinda looked like he felt like an idiot for not doing it the first time.
    Stewart, it's your health and your life. Living like you have been living is not acceptable and at least if you have the test you will know. It sounds to me that you may very well have an infection and like I said before, it won't go away by itself. If it's not, you can rule it out and move on to the next thing. Just take charge and don't let them tell you it's nothing.
    Hang in there, and take care of yourself! Keep me posted and let me know what happens and how your feeling. I am your biggest fan!

Old 05-20-2004, 06:58 AM   #12
    Stewaroo

Stewaroo HB User
    Smile Re: Head pressure, dizziness, detached feeling

Quote:
    I agree. Sometimes the doctors can be such jerks. I didn't have any pain in my face either. And NO common symptoms of a typical sinus infection. None at all. The pressure I had was also way back in my head. It felt like it was in the middle of my brain.
    From your words you use I can tell you live in Europe somewhere. I don't know what your health care is like there, but if possible, I would go to an emergency room in a hospital. They will be able to do the CAT scan right there in the hospital. I would tell the doctor that you have been suffering from this for weeks now and that you can't take it anymore. I would tell him that you have tried everything and nothing seems to help. Also tell him that you know someone (me :O) that had similar symptoms and after my sinus scan it was found that I had a bad chronic sinus infection. Tell him that it is affecting your studies and you are having trouble focusing on what you need to accomplish.
    The first time I went to the ER, they just said it would go away and gave me Antivert for the dizzyness. The second time I went back and DEMANDED they do a CAT scan. I tell ya,,,,the look on the doctor's face was priceless when the scan revealed an infection. He kinda looked like he felt like an idiot for not doing it the first time.
    Stewart, it's your health and your life. Living like you have been living is not acceptable and at least if you have the test you will know. It sounds to me that you may very well have an infection and like I said before, it won't go away by itself. If it's not, you can rule it out and move on to the next thing. Just take charge and don't let them tell you it's nothing.
    Hang in there, and take care of yourself! Keep me posted and let me know what happens and how your feeling. I am your biggest fan!
    I'm in 'sunny' old England so our health service is pretty poor as far as I'm aware. I'd like to go to the ER if it meant getting it sorted straight away but I worry that perhaps I shouldn't go there as I'm not strictly an emergency case. I think I will try the doctor again first, I will see a different doctor and will tell him the things you recommended and also about your experiences and see what his response is. It must have been a great feeling when your infection showed up and you finally knew what was making you feel so bad! I'm reminding myself that mine might not be a sinus infection because although our symptoms do appear remarkably similar, it seems there are 101 different reasons people get these sort of problems. However, like you said, even if I manage to persuade my doc to get me a sinus scan done and it comes back all clear, at least I will know that isn't the problem and can think of other ways of tackling it.

On another note I do seem to have felt slightly better the last coulple of days, but this has happened before only for it to come back just as bad if not worse! Thanks again ever so much Susie and everyone who has responded, your comments are a great help to me! I'll keep you posted on my developments. I think its great how you still come on here even though you are feeling pretty much recovered as you can help others who are still struggling. I look forward to doing the same when I've conquered mine!!

Old 05-20-2004, 07:16 AM   #13
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yeah I went to the ER because it happened over the weekend. Both times. I know about feeling better for a couple of days and you think it's gone, only to return again and it's usually worse.
    Like I said, I am no doctor but at least you can start the weed out process. The ears and sinus cavity are so close to each other that who knows. I have also found that alot of the people that post on this board with ear trouble have had it for a long time and like us, have had a hard time finding a doctor that can give them some answers. I think in my next life I will be an ENT so I can find a cure for all of us!
    Go back to the doctor - to ANOTHER doctor and don't stop until you get some relief and/or answers. You will get better!

Closed Thread