It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Vestibular (inner ear) problems while flying

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2004, 07:04 PM   #1
    Fi2004

Fi2004 HB User
    Vestibular (inner ear) problems while flying

Hi, having been diagonsed with vestibular neurontitus after viral infection 15 years ago, I am relatively symptom free on a day to day basis.

My only ongoing problem is that I become quite dizzy and disorientated while flying which in turn causes me somewhat distress. Whilst some people might say that this may just be a case of a nervous flyer, as far as I am consciously aware, I have no fear of flying.

Are there any other people out there with similar diagnosis and experience the same when flying? If so, have you been able to control it i.e with medication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2004, 07:33 PM   #2
    stitcher

stitcher HB User
    Re: Vestibular (inner ear) problems while flying

Fi2004
    It;s good to hear from someone with the same disorder I have. I was diagnosed in April, 03, did Vestibular Rehab and was great until 2 months ago when I started feeling dizzy again. Have you had problems on/off for the past 15 years? I also have some tinnitis and pressure feelings in my ears. Loud voices, restaurant noice and parties drive me crazy. I have to wear ear plugs.
    As for flying, I haven't done this since my diangosis. ENT told me this week that if I do fly I should do the following:

Afrin nasal spray 1 hr prior to take-off and each hr thereafter until landing.
    Antivert 25 mg 1 hr prior to take-off (sold as Bonnine over the counter) Generic name is Meclizine.
    Ativan (Lorezapam) 1 mg l hr prior to takeoff. Ativan is for anxiety which I get when I start to feel dizzy.

How long did it take you to start feeling symptom free on a daily basis? Does it return from time to time?. Do you have any pressure sensations in your ear(s) And lastly, do you take any medications. What worked for you?

Hope my formula works for you. I am dying to fly down to Florida to visit. Son is an airline pilot and I get free passes. Too scared at present to use them. What a waste!!

Feel well....

Old 08-13-2004, 04:50 AM   #3
    Wowwwweeee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Wowwwweeee HB User
    Cool Re: Vestibular (inner ear) problems while flying

Hi,

I have been diagnosed with MAV, but I can relate to hesitations about flying. I recently flew for the first time since I had these woozy head symptoms. If you do a search on my user name, I believe there are a few replies from me to others about flying, as well as my own experience from May 2004.

Prior to onset of my symptoms, I enjoyed flying. Now, I would do it if I HAD to, or for a vacation that I really wanted to go on, but it's not my top ten for travel.

Hugs!

Closed Thread