It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Caffeine, anxiety, depression......Help!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-01-2004, 08:59 AM   #1
    kendallbella09

kendallbella09 HB User
    Red face Caffeine, anxiety, depression......Help!!!!

Hello,

I have posted before, but just to refresh you:

I have been experiencing dizziness, fatigue, anxiety, mind fogginess, headaches, depression and visual disturbances now for 2 1/2 weeks. I recently had an MRI which came back normal, and I have an ENG test tomorrow. My symptoms do seem a little bit better, but I have a constant feeling that gravity is trying to pull me over to the left. I am learning to deal with the balance and visual stuff, but my anxiety and depression are aout of control. I cry at least once or twice a day and I cannot even tell you how edgy I am. When my symptoms started, I quit drinking caffeine and I also quit smoking because they made me feel sick. Now if I have just a little bit of caffeine it sends me into an immediate panic attack! Last night I had a pop and it sent me into anxiety mode almost instantly. I didn't even get any sleep b/c I felt like I was gonna die! When I think about it logically, I know that I am just freaking out and I try to relax. I also have this really salty clear nasal drainage emptying down my throat, which is making me sick to my stomach. I have not been able to work for the whole time, and I can't even imagine going back anytime soon. I do try and get out a couple times a day to go to the store or to run an errand, but I can only handle a little at a time. I am starting to really worry now, because I do ot feel like myself. It's almost as if I am some alien looking out of my body. I have lost all interest in my hobbies and friends, and I feel completely empty. My questions for you are:

1) Does caffeine affect anyone else like this?
    2) Does anyone know why my clear nasal drainiage tastes so salty?(not to be gross)
    3) Did anyone else feel completely depressed, this fast, and what so you suggest?

I really would apprecite some insight, because I feel like I am going crazy!

Kendall

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2004, 11:19 AM   #2
    CaptainUtah

CaptainUtah HB User
    Re: Caffeine, anxiety, depression......Help!!!!

Hey Kendall, that is totally normal what's happening because the balance stuff through you into and anxiety panick state and so you're body is charged up with adrenaline all the time... So when you drink caffeine it stimulates it even more and sends you into those attacks...it's prob better to stay away from caffeine for quite awhile... I went through the exact same thing and my interest levels in life are still really glum...and I absolutely know what you mean when you say you feel like an alien looking out of your body... boy do I know what you mean.... It's hard to tell you what to do except try and keep things a little simple but keep running errands and doing that as much as you can.... you're gonna have to force yourself to do things and it'll be hard but keep doing it anyway. when the panic comes on just remember how you've had it before and it's not gonna do anything more than scare you....It's not gonna hurt you even though it feels like you're outta control and gonna drown or something... take walks if you can and try and eat somewhat healthy... you're body and mind are just over sensitized and you gotta talk it back down off the building. maybe a counselor or therapist could help as well... It's so hard cuz I know exactly how ya feel. stay strong and try to just yourself float through the anxiety instead of full on fight it...it's the hardes thing ever I know... and the depression is secondary to all this because it dramatically changee your life so fast...hang in there and things will get better......keep talking with the people on here cuz they can be very helpful... God Bless.... Utah

Old 09-01-2004, 12:10 PM   #3
    Mica09
    Veteran
    (female)

Mica09 HB User

Hi Kendall,

I have an idea of how you feel. I've never felt really depressed but I know how anxiety feels because I had it. At the time I didn't have any inner ear problems. When I first got anxiety/mild panick attacks I didn't know what was going on. What helped me a lot was reading about it. I learned that it gets to a point were you are afraid of being afraid. Just thinking about the anxiety/panic attack gives you anxiety. By knowing what was going on in my mind and body I was able to control it. If you feel you can't cope alone GO see your doctor. You can try something like Xanax that just works for a few hours to calm you down. Some people that I know that had very bad panick attacks would just carry them around without touching them. Just knowing that it could control their attacks calmed them.

Here if what I found about the symptoms of cafeine withdrawal

Caffeine withdrawal symptoms following brief caffeine deprivation
    BG. PHillips-Bute JD. Lane
    Department of psychiatry and behaviral sciences; Duke University, Meducal Center, Durham, USA

CAFFEINE is one of the most popular drugs in the world today, but its habitual use is not without side effects. One of them is the clear pattern of physiological withdrawal symptoms that appears when habitual consurners abruptly stop their intake. The best known symptom following, sudden caffeine abstinence is headache, which was described as early as 1952. Studies in the late 1960s reported that ahnornial sleepiness and irritability were also common symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms are not associated only with high levels of chronic caffeine intake. It was noted that withdrawal symptoms of headache, fatigue, sleepiness and decreased vigor, alertness and activity can occur even in people who normally consume as little as 100 mg, of caffeine per day. More severe symptoms have been reported as well. For exampie, a study of light to moderale coffee drinkers reported increased scores for clinical symptoms of depression and anxiety and the presence of flu-like symptoms, in many individuals, after 2 days od caffeine abstinence.These symtoms of caffeine withdrawal can clearly be clinically signifian, and the may be quite common given the widespread consumption of the drug.
    Most experimental investigations of caffeine withdrawal symptoms have involved several days or more of caffeine deprivation. While extended periods of deprivation provide the opportunity to observe the full range and intensity of clinical symptoms, extended deprivation is relatively rare in everyday life. Much more common are shorter periods of deprivation, for exainple when someone misses his or her regular morning coffee. Even such brief periods of caffeine deprivation can leadto clinically signifiant symptorns of headache and fatigue.

Don't give up

Old 09-01-2004, 01:01 PM   #4
    kendallbella09

kendallbella09 HB User

Thanks so much for replying, the information that you shared with me has made me feel much better! It's nice to know that other people know exactly how you feel. This is such a terrible thing, I would never wish it upon my worst enemy! I admire all of you on this board for being so strong and for giving others hope. It is really important to have some kind of support system in times like this, and I definitily found mine!

It is so strange to me that I have never heard of inner-ear or vestibular disorders until recently. This topic deserves some more attention, because I do not think that many people even know the struggles of living like this. It is as if my life has changed before my eyes. I will say that this has taught me a good lesson and that is to be grateful for ilving a healthy life. Health is something that you take for granted, especially when you are young. I know that I have (I'm 25), and I will not continue down that path. I am gonna fight this to the bitter end. I know that there will be many obstacles to overcome, but I am gonna do it. After I am better, I would really like to get involved in some way on educationg people about this disorder. I bet that there are a lot of people living with this, who do not even have a clue as to what is wrong with them.

So again, thanks for the helping hand in hard times. I will definitely keep posting in the future!

Last edited by kendallbella09; 09-01-2004 at 01:03 PM.

Old 09-01-2004, 04:46 PM   #5
    Mica09
    Veteran
    (female)

Mica09 HB User

Way to go! Keep in touch.

Old 09-01-2004, 07:28 PM   #6
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi Kendal,

Just read your posts and like Utah said, I have a really good idea about where you're at. It's simply unbelievable how this thing transforms your life in a second. I have thought all the same things as you such as helping others, educating, appreciating health - the lot. Maybe we'll be better off than the average Joe once this thing runs its course...but what a way to learn! I'd rather pay for a course thanks very much

Oops, forgot to mention something about coffee. I was an avid coffee connoisseur until this wiped me out and sent me to anxiety hell. But I found this excellent cafe in Sydney that does a brilliant decaf cappuccino. I'm so used to them (and they taste fab amazingly) that I don't even miss the caffeine. look for "swiss water" decaf.

Cheers...Scott

Last edited by studyin; 09-01-2004 at 07:32 PM.

Old 09-02-2004, 09:18 AM   #7
    kendallbella09

kendallbella09 HB User

Hey Scotsman,

The coffee thing is the worst part! It is my routine everyday to wake up and have 2 nice big cups of coffee. Yesterday I went and bought some decaf hazelnut and it isn't too bad. Do you think I will have to give up caffeine forever? I sure hope not, but I would give anything up just to feel normal again.

Last night I finally went to sleep without my heart feeling like it was gonna fall out of my chest, or just completely stop. I slept for 12 hours and it's the most rest that I have gotten in a long time. I have been off work for almost 3 weeks and I have not rested once until last night.

I have my ENG test today, so if everyone could send me some luck, it would be helpful. Have a great day and I will definitlely post my results, because I know I will be confused.

Kendall

Last edited by kendallbella09; 09-02-2004 at 09:19 AM.

Old 09-02-2004, 04:47 PM   #8
    Mica09
    Veteran
    (female)

Mica09 HB User

Good luck Kendall!!

Old 09-03-2004, 03:42 AM   #9
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

...Do you think I will have to give up caffeine forever? I sure hope not, but I would give anything up just to feel normal again.....

Hi K....I don't know the answer to that one. I'm not even sure if I'll ever be able to drink fully caffeinated coffee again. I'd like to think so but, on the other hand, I'm probably better off without it for good....I wouldn't EVER want to trigger the anxiety again....just not worth it for me....I'll just stick to the decaf for now.

How was the ENG...hope you survived OK...it nearly killed me.

Cheers....Scott

Old 09-03-2004, 09:06 AM   #10
    treefarmer
    (female)

treefarmer HB User

Kendall,

How was the ENG? Did they give you any results yesterday, or are they making you wait until you have a consult with your regular doc? I hope all was well.

As for the coffee thing, I used to LOVE having a cup of coffee in the morning. I never really drank more than one, sometimes two, and so I was never one of those people who drank it specifically for the caffeine jolt, but I drank regular coffee nonetheless. Then, about 3 months into this junk I had a cup of strong coffee and a little while later I was slammed with an anxiety rush out of nowhere (which I know now was related to this inner ear crap). I stopped the caffeine intake COLD right then and there, mostly out of fear. Luckily, I live in the Pacific NW where Starbucks was born and coffee reigns supreme, so like Scott, I am able to find excellent decaf. I've been on decaf ever since (17 mos) and it's fine for me. You adjust just fine and somehow over time the thought of never having caffeine again doesn't bother you. As a matter of fact, about a month ago I woke up with a headache, and it felt like one of those headaches where if I just drank 1 cup of regular coffee, the caffeine would get rid of it. I did, and it did, but then later as it wore off, the caffeine after effects made me feel kind of sick. That cured me of even thinking I cared about regular coffee!

Best of luck. Keep us posted on the ENG.
    T

Old 09-03-2004, 09:53 AM   #11
    kendallbella09

kendallbella09 HB User

Hi all,

The ENG was horrible! The audiologist did not give me any results either, what a bummer! I have to wait until the 15th, to know anything. I did get a peek at my chart and my preliminary diagnosis is basilar migraines or Meniere's. That really freaks me out! My vision is somewhat better now, but I still feel like someone is trying to pull me over to the left. My anxiety is not even controllable, I thought it was bad before and now I can't sleep. I feel like ther eis a constant lump in my throat and I have having trouble swallowing. I really want to kick this thing's butt, but I am really feeling really nervous and panicky. I also feel a little weakness in my hands and arms. I hope that I don't end up in the mental unit. But, I hope that everyone else is having a great day and I will keep you posted. Thanks for all the support!

Kendall

Old 09-03-2004, 10:04 AM   #12
    Billy1234
    Inactive

Billy1234 HB User

Kendall:
    "basilar migraines" ??? An eng wouldn't show that!!! nor menieres for that matter, did you have hearing tests too?

Old 09-03-2004, 12:50 PM   #13
    treefarmer
    (female)

treefarmer HB User

Kendall,

I'm so sorry to hear that. I know how you feel about waiting; I had to wait a week, though the ENG doc was at least kind enough to let me know that yes, something was going on, and I wasn't feeling weird for no reason. I'm sure the sensations in your hands and arms is stress-related. Try to relax a bit; if it's that out of control, maybe you should see your doc for something to help you relax in the short term. Lots of people here have found that to be helpful until you can get a grip on what's going on with your inner ear. I myself took Xanax (a small dose, but effective enough) for a month when all this crap started. Be kind to yourself. Things will get better.

T

Old 09-03-2004, 05:28 PM   #14
    kendallbella09

kendallbella09 HB User

That's what I find so strange, the Doc's initial diagnosis (without the ENG or MRI) was basilar migraine disease or Meniere's. I think that's strange b/c my hearing test that they performed on the very first day came back normal and the Doc knew that. Oh well, I guess we'll see what the ENG says and then myabe I'll know a little bit more. Oh I started taking Celexa today in a very low dose for the depression and anxiety. Hopefully it will give me some relief.

Kendall

Old 09-03-2004, 06:28 PM   #15
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hi Kendal - You're brave to have made it through the ENG - well done. For that you deserve a massive piece of chocolate and a triple long black!! Don't we wish? Seriously though, there's NO WAY any doc can diagonose meniere's disease from an ENG. That's absurd. He would at least have to run you through an ECoG test and even that's not definitive. Take what he said with a massive grain of salt and try not to let your thoughts stress you out. When the thoughts come, distract yourself with another positive thought to stop the stress response from happening in your body if you can. The weakness in the arms, the lump in the throat is all anxiety related. Don't worry about this stuff at all....it can't harm you whatsoever. I've had it all too and it's gone now.

Keep me posted on how you feel on Celexa. I'm on it too. BTW, it will really sort you out. The anxiety will go and you'll feel MUCH calmer, happier, energised soon. And the dizziness will probably drop quite a bit too. Are you taking a half (10 mg). That's probably the minimum dose to see any beneficial effect. Littlemiss was considering it too so might be good for her to know how it goes for you too.

Terri - I'm with you exactly on the coffee thing. Totally agree. I don't even miss caffeine anymore. Luckily Sydney had a major Italian influence decades ago and so there's GREAT coffee here.

S

Closed Thread