It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Xanax Advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2004, 06:14 PM   #1
    jadeearth
    (female)

jadeearth HB User
    Xanax Advice

Hey, Need more advice. So I took .25 of Xanax today, 1st time ever , felt pretty stoned and out of it, but when I did go out I new I was not going to have a Panic Attack, I could feel all the visual stimulation underneath and slight dizziness but did not feel so over come by it. It's been over 4 hours since I took it, do you start to feel more normal as you stay on it? Is is somehting I should use in situations or perhaps while dealing with this inner ear thing for a little while. Supposed to see ENT on Friday should I try and take it easy with the Xanax before seeing him? Trying to figure out if I should take another one tonight?

Anyone done the xanax thing? How did it work?

Jade

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2004, 01:15 AM   #2
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
    Re: Xanax Advice

Hi Jade,

Thought I'd give you some info on Xanax - a benzodiazepine.

Quote:
    Peak plasma levels showed a two- to threefold variation within individual treatment groups. The plasma half-life of alprazolam after single doses in healthy subjects has ranged from 6 to 25 hours. The mean half-life of individual treatment groups ranged only from 10 to 14 hours. Alprazolam and its metabolites are excreted primarily in the urine. About 50% of the dose is excreted within 24 hours, and 94% after 72 hours. With chronic dosing, the apparent elimination half-life increases by about 50%, possibly because of compartmentalisation effects.

In general, benzodiazepines should be prescribed for short periods only (e.g. two to four weeks). With the exception of the use of Xanax for the treatment of panic disorder, continuous long-term use of Xanax is not recommended. There is evidence that tolerance develops to the sedative effects of benzodiazepines. After as little as one week of therapy with recommended doses, withdrawal symptoms can appear following cessation of treatment, e.g. rebound anxiety following the cessation of an anxiolytic benzodiazepine.
    Looks like you should only take it once in a while and NOT continuously. Also, continuous use would probably slow compensation. Don't be scared off by this info, just use it wisely.

Best....Scott

Old 11-11-2004, 06:16 PM   #3
    treefarmer
    (female)

treefarmer HB User
    Re: Xanax Advice

Jade,

I did do the Xanax thing in the first early throes of my BPPV. Like Scott, I agree that it's not something that should be used for the long term. Xanax is addictive and is also a vestibulo-suppressant, so long term use will disable your brain's ability to compensate and get better from your vestibular injury/issues by suppressing your brain's ability to respond to the signals it gets from the inner ear. It is something that is prescribed for people who are in the early, horrible stages of an inner ear disorder, and for me, just like you said, it provides a break from the "omg I'm freaking out!" feeling. I took it for a month and took the same dose as you too (.25 mg). It's not a big dose, but over time you still don't want to become dependent on it (which you can because of its addictive properties), but only use it when absolutely necessary to get you out of (or through) a rough spot.

T

Closed Thread