It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Inner ear problem

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-12-2004, 12:19 PM   #1
    monarchangel
    Veteran

monarchangel HB User
    Inner ear problem

I had a question: I feel like something is wrong with my ears because they are always stuffy and I wake up every morning with moisture. I saw an ENT who told me npthing was wrong and gave me a hearing test, he said it's just allergies. Also, my PCP examined me and said my ears look fine, just a bit of fluid. She told me if there was anything wrong, she could tell. I am not convinced. Has anyone ever told they were fine and then later found out something was wrong???I am also constantly lightheaded and foggy, which everyone keeps telling me is allergies. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2004, 02:16 PM   #2
    crazylabyrinth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crazylabyrinth HB User
    Re: Inner ear problem

Sounds more like a middle ear problem - look up eustacian tube dysfunction xx

Old 11-12-2004, 02:26 PM   #3
    Anastasia
    Inactive
    (female)

Anastasia HB User

have you tried anything like flonase for your apparent allergies? it could be but a foggy head is a big red flag for an inner ear problem. how long have you been like this? any other symptoms?

Old 11-12-2004, 03:03 PM   #4
    monarchangel
    Veteran

monarchangel HB User

I have felt like this for a few years now. It's like your head is in the clouds 24-7 and it really makes it hard to function. If I had an inner ear or middle ear problem, would my doctor have already seen it? She says it is just allergies and I have tried everything and I mean everything. I know the sinuses and ears are connected and I am wicked stuffy ALL the time and so maybe it is my sinuses draining into my ears. Does anyone know hoe they diagnos this eaustachian dysfunction? Can my dr see it when she looks in my ears?? Thanks because this has just been on elong journey that depresses me so much

Last edited by monarchangel; 11-12-2004 at 03:10 PM.

Old 11-15-2004, 05:42 PM   #5
    monarchangel
    Veteran

monarchangel HB User

Does anyone know how they diagnose an inner ear problem if they can't see it when they check your ears?

Old 11-15-2004, 07:50 PM   #6
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi Mon,

Check this link for some of the tests they do:

Vestibular Testing - Timothy C. Hain, MD

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/testing/engrot.html

(preapproved by Mod1)

Cheers....Scott

Old 11-18-2004, 12:14 PM   #7
    Anastasia
    Inactive
    (female)

Anastasia HB User

hi monarchangel

i meant to reply sooner but have been busy. the doctor CAN NOT tell if you have an inner ear disorder just by looking in your ears! thats why it took so long for me to get a diognosis. you have to see a doctor called an "oto-neurologist" or "neuro-otologist". they will give you a chloric/ENG test to check if there is vestibular damage. i have it and so does Scott and a few others in here. it's a pain in the rear to diognose but you sound pretty similar to us. basically, it starts off as a respratory virus but some how gets into your inner ear (i'm assuming the eustachian tubes) and stomps all over everything. my recovery time is 2-6 years with therapy. you'll prebably do physio too if its a vestibular disorder that you have.

Old 11-18-2004, 01:20 PM   #8
    crazylabyrinth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

Hi anastasia - who told you 2-6 years? xx

Old 11-18-2004, 02:42 PM   #9
    BennyGibb
    (male)

BennyGibb HB User

some how gets into your inner ear (i'm assuming the eustachian tubes)

The current theory is via the blood stream, as there are membranes separating the inner ear from the middle ear then things don't get transmitted between the two (unless the membrane ruptures - which unless you have a bad bacterial ear infection isn't likely). It's thought to be a particular type of virus (or reactivation of a dormant virus) which attacks the inner ear, in the same way as certain types of viruses attack the heart or kidneys, or eyes etc. There is some evidence that the viruses which effect the innerear may have some relationship to the herpes family, but this is only a theory as nothing has proved it....

Old 11-25-2004, 08:22 PM   #10
    Anastasia
    Inactive
    (female)

Anastasia HB User

hi crazylabyrinth

my otologist and physio therapist told me 2-6 years. i have minor damage on my right and moderate on my left. this was 1 year after my onset of symptoms. i'm only 20 months into it. long road ahead. they said it will get easier as time passes.

Closed Thread