It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Propanolol - urgh!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-01-2004, 10:52 AM   #1
    dogologist
    (female)

dogologist HB User
    Propanolol - urgh!

Have any of you guys taken propanolol? Hbep - I know you didn't get on with it. I've been taking it for a week now and I do not like it! I feel even more spaced and foggy-headed on it (which I didn't think was possible!), and it's giving me the most horrific nightmares - horribly real and vivid. I wake up not knowing where I am, and feeling as if I've not slept at all, and the nightmares are making me tense my jaw in my sleep (which I rarely do normally), so I've got a vague migraine-ish feeling all the time even though that's what it's supposed to be treating, and the diziness is worse! It's as if all the anxiety that it's physically suppressing is coming out in my dreams, which are all about getting uncontrollably dizzy and spaced in public places. My GP says to persevere with it for a bit longer - will this pass? I'll give it another week, but if it's still this bad, I'm going to go back and ask to come off it (which is scary in itself - what if I get a big adrenaline rebound?!) and try something else.

Hbep and Phil - how are you getting on with the pizotifen?

Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 12:22 PM   #2
    Mica09
    Veteran
    (female)

Mica09 HB User
    Re: Propanolol - urgh!

I know what your talking about. At the beginning of this dizziness thing my doctor prescribed me Effexor. After about 4 days I started getting major panick attacks. I went to see my doctor who told me to hang on (because they say it takes 3-4 weeks for your body to adapt) but I didn't want to. She asked me to try a different kind - Celexa. After a few days I started feeling the anxiety creeping up so I stopped. My doctor was NOT very happy with me. In 20 years, it was the first time that we disagreed with each other. She told me that my dizziness was due to anxiety but I was not totally convinced (I had not done a lot of testing at the time). I was not ready to go through hell to see if it would help my dizziness. Three years later, I'm still sure my dizziness is due to inner ear, I feel stressed but don't have major depression or anxiety symtoms but sometimes I wonder "what if she was right". What if my inner ear problem IS DUE to a chemical imbalance? I'm still debating if I should try them again.

My cousin - who just had her doctorate in psychology (experience with post-traumatic stress and anxiety) said that it is possible to take something like Xanax with the SSRIs to relax you while your body adjusts to it. That might help to get through this. Ask your doctor.

Old 12-01-2004, 01:41 PM   #3
    dogologist
    (female)

dogologist HB User

Thanks, Mica. I'll have a chat with her. I'd rather not get into the situation where I'm takign oen thing to ease the side-effects of something else, though. I'll persevere with these a bit longer.

Ann

Old 12-01-2004, 04:12 PM   #4
    Bncinlove
    (female)

Bncinlove HB User

I was prescribed propranolol last month for migraines. I took it for about a week and during that week felt light headed, confused and still had the headaches. I was at work one day and all of a sudden felt like my heart was coming out of my chest, dizzy, sweat from head to toe, shortness of breath, blood pressure of 140/90 and pounding headache. My boss was going to call an ambulance and I told her to call my husband. We went to the clinic and they told me that those were side effects of propranolol. I will NEVER take that again. I know it works for some, but not me. Good luck to you.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:20 AM   #5
    hbep
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User

Hi Anne,

I have tried propanonol and so has my friend, known as Dizzyblonde on the board. She had a worse time than I did. I felt v. foggy headed/dizzier - she just felt utterly dreadful. When I came off it, I experienced a sudden burst of palpitations, which did subside quickly but worried me. I talked to the neurotologist recently about the drug side effects Id experienced. She suggested that I try taking much smaller doses of drugs to start with as I have such a violent reaction to even the lowest dose. She also said I probably should have come off the propanonol more slowly - I guess cutting the tablet in half for a few days to avoid the palpitations. Although I wouldn't worry, Anne, it really only was a minute or two, I was absolutely fine after that. Its possible I should have started even lower on the propanonol cutting a 10mg tablet in half. Side effects with propanonol are meant to be unusual, but in my opinion, when it comes to dizzy people, the rules are a bit different. If fluctuations in hormones can have such a dramatic effect on me, then it makes sense that another change in my body the introduction of a drug, could do the same. Dizzyblonde stuck it out longer than I did on the propanonol, but then junked it. I stopped it faster, (couple of days I think) so can't tell you if it would have been ok if I'd stuck with it, it's possible my foggy headed phase was a coincidence, impossible to say. I also have to factor in that I was very anxious about taking the drug, that may have played a part in increasing my symptoms too. It is sometimes worth sticking with a drug for a little while as your body can adjust to it given time.

Dizzyblonde now takes pizotifen and it basically cured her. I am taking it - a tiny dose daily. I think they are reluctant to give this drug out due to the eating like a pig side effect, people get fed up as they put on weight, but to be honest, for both Dizzyblonde and I, this passed after week one. It also makes me sleepier than usual in the evenings, (now getting better) but other than that, miraculous for me as I react badly to everything, it's been fine. I can't say yet whether it's working as I am a) Taking a tiny dose to start - half the smallest dose by cutting the tablet in half and b) My symptoms are currently episodic, so I'm in a good spell at the minute, but I need to see if this holds up. Im not counting my chickens yet. Dizzyblonde did experience a bout of horrible depression as a side effect, but this came after v. suddenly increasing the dose, she thinks she stepped it up too quickly, and the depression did pass.

I wouldn't usually give advice re drugs, but I can only speak from my and Dizzyblonde's experience, personally, If you choose to chuck the propanonol, Id try not to get lumbered with amitriptyline - this is one of the other ones they use there for migraine. (I actually took notriptyline, very similiar) We both had a bad time with it. . I was a flipping zombie, literally could barely function for the entire 3 weeks I stuck with that horrible drug and I got dizzier. So was she, and it did no good whatsoever. It's an old style tricylic anti depressant also used to treat migraine, and now I know why they invented newer anti depressants. In a way its stupid of me to warn you off it, as everyone is different. For example I know Wowweee tried this drug and it entirely stopped her dizziness, although she experienced some side effects so stopped taking it. I guess what Id say, based on my own experience, is try to get pizotifen. Although its hardly proof of anything (too random) I do know 3 people with MAV who have had amazing results with pizotifen.

Last edited by hbep; 12-02-2004 at 01:23 AM.

Old 12-02-2004, 05:33 AM   #6
    Ruby2
    (female)

Ruby2 HB User

I just thought that I would reply to give the other side of propranolol. To give you a brief background, I have been diagnosed with decompensated labyrinthitis. I have been suffering for over 41/2 months (my first bout was 2 years ago and lasted about a month). Initially, the doctors gave me various medicine but nothing helped with the dizziness, I have not felt sick just very bad vertigo which has now lessened. I have seen an ent doctor who then took me off all of the medicines and did various tests including MRI, hearing tests, ear pressure tests. He sent me for VRT which I have been doing for about 2 months. I have also seen a neurologist, I take herbal medicine; go to a cranial osteopath; receive CBT; have a low salt high water diet (SO EVERYTHING!). Anyway, to get to my point, my GP doctor prescribed propranolol because I felt a couple of weeks ago that my heart was racing and she found my blood pressure a little high. I have been taking 40mg twice daily for the last 2 weeks and strangely I feel that my dizziness has improved. I do not know if this is a coincidence or not? I have not had any unwanted side effects other than a sore stomach for the first couple of days and my heart rate has now gone back to normal.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:26 AM   #7
    Mica09
    Veteran
    (female)

Mica09 HB User

Duh!!! Blame it on this dizziness. Sorry Dog. I guess I was paying more attention to your symptoms that the name of the medication "Propanolol". I was thinking of SSRIs not about migraine medication.

Last edited by Mica09; 12-03-2004 at 12:24 PM.

Old 12-03-2004, 04:18 AM   #8
    dogologist
    (female)

dogologist HB User

Thanks, everyone! it's always good to hear other people's experiences. I really don't know what to do about this stuff. My anxiety has improved massively, but I feel so groggy and tired all the time. I'll give it another week and then see my GP again, I think. She may be able to give me a lower dose to try. Does pizotifen have any action on anxiety? I don't fancy the souind of amitryptaline, although I was on a tricyclic (dothiepin) for a while a few years back with no problems at all - in fact, it probably saved my life at the time. Not keen to go back down that route, though, and I've been standing helplessly by while a friend has struggled unsuccessfully to come off an SSRI for the past three years, so I really don't fancy those!! I wish I could do this with just the herbs.

My right ear's killing me today, as well, so I'm a real bundle of joy. Still, I'm about to ring up and book my VRT session for January. Still no word on my immunology referral.

Mica - I was wondering why you were suddenly talking about SSRIs!!

Ann

Old 12-03-2004, 04:43 AM   #9
    hbep
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User

Hi Anne,

What dose of propanolol are you on? As I said, I cut my 10mg tablet of pizotifen in half. I just use a knife, but a friend told me you can get a special pill cutter from the chemist. I am meant to step up my dose every two weeks. The idea is that the body has acclimatized by the time you go to the next level of dosage. Maybe you could quite literally cut your dose in half. As I said, on the pizotifen I initially thought how the hell am I going to cope feeling this tired, but it did subside. I am a little more tired in the evening, but it's totally manageable now. If you cut the dose and still don't get on with the propanonol, you probably already know this, but you can just phone The National and ask to speak to LL or one of her team, they'll phone you back. If you say it's about problems with a drug they will understand that you need to speak to them a.s.a.p I know Dizzyblonde did this when she was struggling with dosages etc.... In your shoes I'd probably cut the dose first, then if that failed, try calling them, get on a different drug.

Pizotifen does nothing for anxiety at all - as you probably know, amongst all the other things it's used to treat, propanolol is also used to treat anxiety - it just happens to be a bonus that it has that action along with treating migraine.

You know I probably shouldn't have said that about the tricyclic, the fact that you took one and had no problems a few years back is an indication of how different people's reactions to these drugs are. What makes one person feel ill could be the cure for another. I guess when you wish someone the best, you want to warn them, but in doing so you could actually be scaring them off the drug that could cure them. Also, when treating migraine, they give you much lower doses than they give you for depression - I really, really doubt you would have a problem with addiction to it.

There is an irony to my talking about propanonol. You may or may not know that I have been experiencing stomach problems. Anyway, my GP wants me to go back on propanonol for my stomach. Long story short but some people's digestive disorders are impacted on quite heavily by anxiety. Of course, the irony is that digestive disorders cause anxiety - and it is causing me quite a bit. I am so desperate to get rid of this stomach hell that I am actually thinking of trying the propanonol again at a tiny dose. My GP is phoning me today to tell me whether it's possible to take it as well as pizotifen. Soon I'm going to be on so many drugs I'll be rattling when I walk. I am on some other drugs for my stomach. I can't say I'm happy about this, but I thought I might give it a try. One thing I will say about propanonol is that when I came off it the side effects went away v. fast - so I suppose there's no harm in giving it another go.

Hope the drug works out for you soon, and if not then I'm sure another one will prove helpful.

best,

hbep

Closed Thread