It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• migraine meds question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2005, 12:51 AM   #16
    hbep
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User
    Re: migraine meds question

Hi Elisabeth,

I take ranitidine and a drug called domperidone for eosophagul motility. I can't tolerate proton pump inhibitors.

Re your questions: 'I have never taken any kind of Birth control pills or anything...so maybe they might help at this point?'

My neuro otologist suggested to me this could help, I took it before, prior to being dizzy and had a bad time with it, so I said no. If you have MAV, it's possible it could help you.

'Do you notice when you are having reflux pain that your headache/pressure/dizziness seem to get worse? '

No, not for me, when my stomach problems were at their worst, my dizziness problems were at the best level they've ever been.

And also, since Migraine is vascular, do you have any other vascular problems?

Not as far as I know,

best,

hbep

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 01:04 AM   #17
    hbep
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Moogeneric,

I think if it wasn't for my stomach problems I would have tried re introducing things by now. Dairy is bad for my stomach anyway, so chocolate and cheese are probably best avoided. That said, I'm not imagining a life time of these restrictions. Too depressing a thought. At some point I envisage attempting to eat normally again.

Re - 'it was a comfort to be able to think that there was KNOWN cause behind it. Know what I mean? '

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I felt the same way when I adjusted to the contacts and the adjustement took the same time frame as you. I also dumped wearing my glasses. It's a bit of a drag as it means I am basically wearing my contacts too much, but when I put my glasses on I feel horribly uncomfortable. I tried getting used to them again, but then I had a relapse so gave up on it.

Touch wood I am feeling a fair bit better since stopping the pizotifen (migraine drugs) so they v. clearly weren't the right drugs for me. Please don't be put off trying them or any other drug by my saying that. I will almost certainly try a different one at some point, it really is trial and error.

best,

hbep

Old 01-05-2005, 07:30 AM   #18
    ASLme
    (female)

ASLme HB User

Hi hbep:
    Thanks for the reply. Hope you are getting sorted out and will have a better time of it this year...Let that be for everyone on the boards!
    Elisabeth

Old 01-05-2005, 09:29 PM   #19
    jtiegs
    Veteran
    (female)

jtiegs HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hbep
    Hi Julianne,

Very interesting about the gene thing. My grandmother was the migraine sufferer, it seems, although she isn't alive any longer so can't ask her, that she may have had MAV. Undiagnosed, almost certainly, but my mother told me that alongside classical migraines, she suffered intermittent dizziness all her life. Hmmm. Seems I'm the lucky family member that inherited that bad gene.

I have read a lot on migraine, there are a lot of article specifically on MAV available on the net. I haven't, however, read specifically on hormonal migraine, so will certainly seek some of those books out. Like you, it does seem that, that is going to be the most difficult piece of the equation to resolve. Every single month, even in my better 3 months, I'd hit my period and wham, it's back with greater or lesser intensity. Infurtiating. The hospital did suggest trying the contraceptive pill, but have had a bad experience with that in the past. I'm sure you're aware of this, but some people kick their migraines completely (and indeed MAV) by coming off the pill. Others manage to kick them by going on it.

Anyway, keep me posted on your experience with the verapamil. I know what you mean about the frustration of it taking so long to see results. Having said that, I took myself off the pizotifen after, I think, 5 and a half weeks, as I was getting so much worse. I don't mind a drug not working, but as I didn't know, but suspected the pizotifen could be playing a part, I felt enough was enough. There are enough other drugs out there to try.

best,

hbep

Hi Hbep,
    The hormones are playing a huge factor in my symptoms. The longer I have this the more evident it is. I too have heard about using or not using birth control to change hormone levels in hopes of having some relief. I have actually been on and off birth control.

Ironically when this whole thing started for me I had just gone on birth control pills after being off of them for about 7 years because of having babies and breast feeding. I actually thought my dizziness was due to the birth control but my doc insisted I had labyrinthitis. They never put two and two together on all this. Anyway, I stayed on the pill for a while, and then decided to stop. Unfortunately it didn't make much difference at that point. I remained off the pill for many months and then decided to try the nuva-ring which releases hormones intravaginally. It was suggested because it was more topical and also the absorption of estrogen (the culprit in theory) would be less. I didn't notice any difference once I started using that. I stopped using the ring about a month and a half ago because my husband is out of town and I don't need it for a while. With that change, my symptoms increased! So..what do you make of it all? I can't say for certain if these things are coincidence or not. I can only say that hormone shifts are definitely related correlating to my dizziness. So I don't know if I am better off ON the darn hormones or off. It's maddening. My Mom has gone threw menopause and still has migraines although many docs say it ends once you go through menopause. So...who knows what to think of any of it!

Have you or anyone else tried the various hormone therapy tests? I feel like such a guinea pig. Sometimes I wish I could just stop taking all medications and just see what happens.

Julianne

Old 01-06-2005, 03:44 AM   #20
    BennyGibb
    (male)

BennyGibb HB User

Being male, hormones aren't much of a problem for me...

Hbep: Yes thats right, I'm still chasing up london, it's like banging your head against the wall...

Old 01-06-2005, 08:53 AM   #21
    jtiegs
    Veteran
    (female)

jtiegs HB User

Hi Benny,
    It is interesting that some men have migraine at all! I don't understand it and I think the docs just understand it a little. My son has migraine headaches. From what I've read, it's occurence is about equal in children, maybe slanting slightly toward boys, but once girls hit their teen years the numbers for females skyrocket. So, I guess hormones play a roll for some people, but clearly not everyone with migraines. I read a book called "The Hormone Headache" and found out a lot about how it all works (as best as then know!). It's a stinker. I've heard some women get better after menopause or a hysterectomy. My grandmother had a hysterectomy and she hasn't had a migraine since. However, my mom went through menopause and still suffers. What a mysterious and tiresome affliction.
    Sorry you have this mess. Do you get actual headaches, or just the dizzies?
    Julianne

Old 10-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #22
    HIM
    (female)

HIM HB User

wow, i never knew migraine associated vertigo existed. last night i felt a migraine coming on, and i laid down, and with my eyes closed was experiencing this dizzy feeling. i felt it the day before while i was eating dinner, awake, and i felt really woozy like i had rocked from side to side real fast. but back to when i was laying down... i got the dizziness, had the head pains, then my face twitched. this has concerned me because i have never had this happen before. it twiched in both cheeks and around each eye all at the same time. a very strange feeling. i figured it was migraine related, but am not sure. does this sound common? would this be... MAV?

Old 10-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #23
    hbep
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't know about the twitching, but dizziness associated with your migraine headache (and even if it's not associated - can happen separate from headaches and even without headache at all) is almost certainly MAV. Migraine can change over time - symptoms you didn't get previously can suddenly surface.

best,

Old 10-18-2007, 04:08 PM   #24
    HIM
    (female)

HIM HB User

i figure that it has to do with new migraine symptoms coming on. something that sticks out in my mind is when my doctor told me "when you get a migraine for the first time, your brain knows how to have one so it will happen more often...and possibly more severe" ... generally speaking. it has been true.

i have been more stressed than normal and have been experiencing a lot of anxiety. this most certainly brings on a migraine eventually. i was curious for a while if the dizziness had to do with sinus, which is possible. but one of my migraine symptoms is sinus pressure...or sinus clicking (where it feels like i have clicking going on in my upper cheek area) this is almost always a sign i'm going to have a big one. lately i have been getting the aura, and seeing trails off of things in certain light. i don't want to have the mav! such an uncomfortable feeling... i am afraid i might have this whilst driving... it has only lasted for a matter of seconds for me. is it known to get worse, such as having it last longer?

Closed Thread