It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Vestibular Travel experience

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-31-2004, 12:22 PM   #1
    jadeearth
    (female)

jadeearth HB User
    Vestibular Travel experience

Hi All,

Just got back from a 10 day trip to the UK from California. First time I have travelled by air since the Vestibular Crisis of September 04. What a trip. I was soooo scared and had bad anxiety when I started off but did ok, my acupuncturist gave me a patch to put on my belly for any motion sickness. I travelled 3.5 hours and changed planes in Chicago, very busy airport, but made it to next flight to Manchester and landed in morning, not much sleep and then rented a car to drive 3 hours. Lots of motion. My body just rocked and rocked in bed that night

Anyway, my jetlag the entire trip was horrible. I was barely sleeping. I think it must have had something to do with the inner ear problem because usually I am over it in a few days. I felt stoned, drugged. But I think it was all helping with compesation a little. I find the aftermath of vestibular challenge hard if I,ve had a busy day.

The day before we were to go back we drove to Manchester and stopped of at a Tescoes. For the UK members, those places are crazy, the lighting!! (My brother wanted to stock up on Branston Pickle) And Manchester airport, ugh, I almost had a full blown panic attack, the floor was moving, I was tilting. And I just kept trying to feel my feet dig into the floor. anyway, made it to departures where it was quiet and felt better. Made it from Manchester to Chicago where we changed planes, and in chicago had to go threw customs, change terminals (this involved train transport) and trying to make the plane. I was praying, praying we would make it because all the stimulation in the aiport was making me feel out of my mind. We made the plane. I know you all can appreciate the anxiety these slight travel issues cause to someone with vestibular issues.

And I sit here feeling stoned. But,,, I did it. There is no was 1 month ago I would have been able to even think of getting on a plane. This is hard because I was a very independant travler prior to this. I had a few break downs on the trip. cause family really try and understand but there not in your body. I appreciate this forum so much. Because though I felt crazy I kept telling myself this is normal vestibular stuff.

Crazy Labrynth reading your post about your London trip was very interesting and inspiring. I had been wondering why my compensation was taking so long, but I get it now as my dizziness has never been extreme. So we really do need to challenge ourselves despite the anxiety. You sound really positive, I am so glad you have found the support you need to get threw.

Does anyone else rock like your bed is on an ocean after particularly challenging days?

Thanks for listening!!! I missed you all while I was away and with no internet access.

Jade
    To a Dizzy free, or at least mangeable anxiety free 2005

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2004, 03:50 PM   #2
    crazylabyrinth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crazylabyrinth HB User
    Re: Vestibular Travel experience

Just a quickie but sooo glad ur flying trip was quite successful - much more successful than mine by the sounds of it! Never again! Still have nightmares about it!

Yes I get the rocking big time - got it bad today - constant ferry..........makes you feel like you're going mad but its all vestibular!!!!!

Glad u did it jade xxx

Old 12-31-2004, 07:00 PM   #3
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Well done Jade. I have no doubt you'll get over this completely with that sort of courage. You really just have to force yourself through the discomfort to come out the other side of this thing and you are clearly doing that.

Happy 2005 to you too.

Scott

Old 01-01-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
    ASLme
    (female)

ASLme HB User

Good for you brave Jade. I would've hidden in my hidey hole and called off the trip...but you didn't...Yay!
    Elisabeth

Old 01-17-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
    Phila
    (male)

Phila HB User

Can relate to the travel experience. I first took a one hour flight 6 months after my lab/ or whatever it is I have began. One hour after I landed this overwhelming feeling of being stoned and totally out of it hit me. It lasted three days. Neuro told me to take an extra quarter of a tablet (Rivotril) which helped a little. I was OK after the return leg but I certainly won't be hopping on a plane again in a hurry if I can help it. Cheers

Old 01-18-2005, 05:17 AM   #6
    Katkin
    (male)

Katkin HB User

Jade!
    Woooow!!!
    You're so brave!! How amazing that you managed to do that!!!
    And yes - I totally know what you mean about Tescos' lighting! I actually put my sunglasses on last time I went there with my Dad!! It helped.

Anyway well done! You're amazing!
    Katkin xxx

Old 01-18-2005, 05:23 AM   #7
    Wowwwweeee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Wowwwweeee HB User
    Cool Re: Vestibular Travel experience

Hi Jade,

Congratulations for making the flight and for taking the time to post right after about how you're doing - endorse yourself!!

I flew for the first time in almost ten years this past May. (4+ hours one way, straight through). I went to Las Vegas with some family and friends. What I had trouble with the most was the gentle sensation of motion the plane had naturally. The gentle side to side or up and down motion was awful for me. As soon as we started to take off, my head and my body felt like I was tipping up, up, up, (pendulumn) to one side that almost felt like I was going to spin, and then to the other side. It was AWFUL. The whole plane ride there was completely anxious for me, and I was moved to tears a few times. At one point, I turned to my brother and told him that I simply needed to get off the plane and they would have to land. It made me calmer to *think* I had that option - but in reality, I don't think they would have landed for me anyway. I took a lot of aspirin and antihistamine during the flight there and back. For most of the first three hours, I sat with my hear still and my eyes looking straight ahead reading the warning of the back of the seat in front of me. It was all I felt that I could do. I couldn't read or relax or shut my eyes. I basically held my ear plugs in and held my head. I think about all of this and feel ill! By the last hour, I felt used to this scary sensation enough to look out the window, take a few pictures, and get up to use the bathroom.

I was extremely panicked upon landing because I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to walk or what once the plane stopped. By the time we landed, I was wound up pretty tight. I was the last one off the plane at my request because I just didn't know how my symptoms would feel.

I was surprised however, that I was able to walk off the plane fine, although I needed to sit down in the airport for a while to get a grip!

I was no worse for wear during my vacation, and in fact, walked everywhere without problems. I had a panic attack the night before I was flying home because I remembered how awful the first flight was. But this time I knew what sensations to expect, and I borrowed my sis-in-law's headset, and listened to music for most of the flight home (wearing my ear plugs).

I had an increase in the gentle swirling or pendulumn sensation for about 4 days after I got home, which was unnerving, but tolerable. I was able to go to work with it and it finally subsided.

Good for BOTH of us for doing something so scary and uncertain!

Closed Thread