It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Light-headed from The Incredibles!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
    Light-headed from The Incredibles!

Hi All,

Just back from seeing The Incredibles and, for the first time in a long time, I have some lab symptoms from a film. It was non-stop action and movement on screen for those that haven't been and at about the 3/4 mark I started feeling slightly uncomfortable. Even feelings of depression came with the light-headedness...how weird is that?? Seems like there is a direct link in my head from increased eye symptoms to feelings of being low etc. Crazy...on walking out I kind of floated out of the cinema....even now I feel like I'm slightly stoned. All just a friendly reminder that some labyrinthitis "left overs" are still lurking. Anyway, the film was excellent and worth the fallout.

Scott

Last edited by studyin; 01-04-2005 at 11:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 07:36 AM   #2
    Rick49
    (male)

Rick49 HB User
    Re: Light-headed from The Incredibles!

...Your experiance sounds very similar to some of mine from this last summer and one at Christmas. I now (when I get home) do and Epley Maneuver to see if the dizziness is positional or not. That was throwing me off when it first started happening, I thought it was dizziness from Meniere's and it turned out to be positional.
    ...One of the things that I have had to learn, over the years is that, when I get dizzy, it's not necessarily because of my Meniere's. We can still get dizzy just like anyone else. My wife developed an anxiety/panic disorder a couple of years ago, and at one point she was getting 24/7 dizziness (no vertigo) and her doc was going to refer her to an ENT. Before he did, he adjusted her anxiety medication and the dizziness went away within an hour. Made a believer out of me that there's lots of things that can mimic an inner ear disorder.
    ...I'm not saying that you have an anxiety/panic disorder, it's just the only personal example I have of another condition triggering dizziness.
    later,
    Rick
    ps did I ever reply that I am in the USA?

Old 01-05-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
    suzyisdizzy
    (female)

suzyisdizzy HB User

My boyfriend's friend worked on that movie!
    I'm always the party pooper because I can never go to the movies because of my dizziness. I can barely watch tv let alone a big movie! No way!
    Glad you enjoyed it. I will see it when it comes out on DVD.

Old 01-05-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
    crazylabyrinth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

Rick - Im afraid I will have chime in here and say...anxiety related dizziness is VERY different to inner ear dizziness...and infact inner ear dizziness is in a league of its own and is not comparable to "lightheadiness". Am not having a go in any way - it just frustrates me when people compare the two - I DO believe anxiety can hinder recovery from an inner ear problem but I do not believe anxiety and inner ear dizziness are similar.

Unfortunately people use the word "dizzy" to desacribe a variety of sensations - thats why I tend not to like the word having suffered inner ear "dizziness", imbalance and vertigo for 2 years.

Glad scott that you survived and that you enjoyed it. There is only one way out of the the whole cinema-dizzy thing - go every week as VRT!!!

xxx

Last edited by crazylabyrinth; 01-05-2005 at 12:32 PM.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:13 PM   #5
    Rick49
    (male)

Rick49 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazylabyrinth
    Rick - Im afraid I will have chime in here and say...anxiety related dizziness is VERY different to inner ear dizziness...and infact inner ear dizziness is in a league of its own and is not comparable to "lightheadiness". Am not having a go in any way - it just frustrates me when people compare the two - I DO believe anxiety can hinder recovery from an inner ear problem but I do not believe anxiety and inner ear dizziness are similar.

Unfortunately people use the word "dizzy" to desacribe a variety of sensations - thats why I tend not to like the word having suffered inner ear "dizziness", imbalance and vertigo for 2 years.
    xxx
    ...I've seen the world revolve around me( vertigo-illusion of spinning), I've watched and seen no movement and yet felt the world move around me(vertigo-sensation of spinning), I have walked and every step is like walking on a mattress or those inflateble things, I've been light headed, I have felt like I was miles away from people around me (brain fog), and i would challenge you to describe any type of dizziness, lightheadedness, vertigo, nad brainfog that I have not experianced in my 20+ years with this inner ear disorder. I know I'm new to the board, but I'm not new to vestibular disorders.
    ...I came to this board to learn and I have already learned a great deal, but I also will share my learnings. Putting the symantics of "dizziness" aside, what I was trying to say was that other things can cause the same symptoms. I've proved it with myself and my wifes condition reinforce my "opinion". I have had the 24/7 symptoms and I've had intermittant symptoms, and the most important thing I have learned is to take every occurance as if it's the first time it's ever happened to me. I pretend that I don't have an inner ear disorder and I start to analize every detail leading up to the event.
    ...If I accepted that every event I had was caused by my Menieres, I would be disabled and on ssd. I am a member of several boards regarding dizziness as well as some others like diabetes, fibro, CFS, anxiety, etc. I have been able to gleen bits and pieces of info at every site. There's so much info and every one of us has a little piece of it. I in my quest, is to assemble as much of it as I can and it's helped tremendously.
    ...But if there's one thing I have learned over the years, is that we can agree to disagree and this is probably one of those times.
    Rick

Old 01-05-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
    crazylabyrinth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

Rick

Wasnt having a go in any way and of course it is important and valuable to hear different opinions on here and your thoughts are valid.

I am just saying that because you have an inner ear disorder, you can't completely relate to having solely anxiety - as in if you have menieres, then anxiety is of course going to increase your symptoms but anxiety dizziness when you have an inner ear problem is different to someone who has JUST anxiety dizziness. As for your partner, I dont doubt she had anxiety related dizziness but was it vertigo, bouncing, imbalance like you get with an inner ear disorder?

I can see what you are doing when you dont put other "dizziness" you experience under the Menieres umbrella - this is effectively CBT and a wise coping strategy but I'm not sure if you can presume the symptoms arent related - as I know - inner ear stuff can bring up a host of bizarre feelings.

I only cite what I have heard from others as I too gather knowledge - a Neurotologist told me just 2 weeks ago that inner ear dizziness is "entirely different" to other types and I hasten to agree.

xxx

Last edited by crazylabyrinth; 01-05-2005 at 02:19 PM.

Old 01-05-2005, 02:50 PM   #7
    jadeearth
    (female)

jadeearth HB User

Hey All

Totaly agree with you scott, increased visual stimulation gets the brain working overtime and reminds us of the inner ear!!

On the anxiety/dizzy front the bottom line is for me, as my vision, dizziness, improves so does the anxiety. I get nervous but not full blown nervous with the dizzies. It is a circle. But I really beleive if its inner ear there are some particulars that show up. And it is less controlable. All the CBT, therapy in the world won't completly stop the eyes bouncing when its the ears.

I get where your going CL, its so hard to beleive its the inner ear, hard enough for ourselves and so often we get tagged as being neurotic, anxious, depressed ext, but we need to accept that the inner ear has an anxiety all of its own. In my opinion, as a former PA/anxiety person, the inner ear is much harder to deal with.

Thanks, Cheers
    Jade

Old 01-05-2005, 05:35 PM   #8
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hi Jade,

Glad you chimed in here because I think you are the one person who has probably experienced both dizziness from anxiety and dizziness from inner ear garbage and have found that there is a discreet difference between the two in your situation.

However, I'm not sure it can be as clear cut as you might think CL. Dizziness and the feelings associated with it are so subjective that perhaps it can be be very similar dizziness experiences in both situations. I've never had the bouncing or the walking on sponge feelings with my inner ear thing. If my anxiety should go off (which hardly ever happens now) up go the dizzies with it. Whether that's anxiety related dizziness or some slight decompensation I really don't know to be honest. The whole thing is circular as Jade said. But I do know I can invoke identical dizzy symptoms by simply flicking my eyes quickly left to right or watching some action-packed movies (like Incredibles). The feeling can last for over 24 hours. As Subs says time and again, no two people experience the same thing with this junk.

Scott

Old 01-05-2005, 09:46 PM   #9
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hi Julianne,

Haven't seen you on here for ages until recently! Totally agree with what you are saying re that it depends on the day. Most other times at the cinema nothing has happened and then out of the blue I got hit in the Incredibles. And your pretty incredible I might add for surviving IMAX - that might be the next "VRT" session for me!

Best...Scott

Old 01-06-2005, 03:34 AM   #10
    crazylabyrinth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

Hi scott - yep get your point entirely - what I mean though is if you have an inner ear problem, the "anxiety" dizziness you get is vestibular but triggered by vestibular and can be slightly more of a lightheadiness - but you still have a vestibular cause...thats different to people who have no vestibular cause but anxiety related dizziness. Im waffling, hpe u get me! xxx

Old 01-06-2005, 03:38 AM   #11
    BennyGibb
    (male)

BennyGibb HB User

I'll chime in too...

I used to experience panic attacks and dizziness years before my vestibular problems, I would describe it in a similar way to how I now describe my inner ear problems. However, having experienced both, they are very different.

When I first got my inner ear problems I actually thought it was somekind anxiety thing, because it seemed similar to waht I had experienced before, after a few days I became convinced that it was different. While the anxiety did cause "floaty" sensations and lightheadedness, the inner ear problem was much more pronounced and was all related to balance and spacial awareness.

Technically anxiety cannot cause vertigo (as that can only really come vestibular/central mismatach), but it can cause what feels like more than lightheadedness. Anxiety problems also never affect the balance..

However, I do often wonder if what I always thought were anxiety symptoms which occured years before my vestibular problems got going, were infact also vestibular related (albeit milder), because they were very similar.... which is partly why I think migraine might be playing part in my problem.

Of course since my innerear troubles have become constant anxiety sends my symptoms through the roof, for example I had a near miss in the car other day, which got my heart pounding, I had to stop for 10 minutes or more before the spinning/floating slowed down...

Old 01-06-2005, 03:54 AM   #12
    Katkin
    (male)

Katkin HB User

Hello! It's SO reassuring to see that other people feel the same as me about going to the cinema! I also feel anxious when I go and at stages through the films feel VERY uncomfortable. During Return of the King I felt very ill/off balance during the sweeping arial shots but it was so worth it I made myself go 'cos I could NOT miss it!

BennyGibb: Yes I wonder that about myself and many of the people on here - that the anxiety we have felt earlier in life is actually due to our current conditions. I have read so often of people that have balance disorders and related anxiety now who have also suffered anxiety when they were younger.

Hope you're all having good days

Last edited by Katkin; 01-06-2005 at 03:55 AM.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:30 AM   #13
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hi BennyGibb,

Interesting take on this. As much as I hate it, I find the whole anxiety thing quite fascinating actually. I thought it would kill me last year and here I am this year totally intrigued by its origins. I'm thinking that I have never experienced dizziness from anxiety per se. Rather any anxiety I feel simply revs up the symptoms I am still recovering from post labyrinthitis - like a temporary decompensation event as you experienced in the car. I hope in time that even an anxious situation will not cause symptoms at all.

Cheers.....Scott

Old 01-06-2005, 09:41 AM   #14
    crazylabyrinth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

hey guys

Gosh ive started sumthing havent i...sorryyyyyyyyyyyy

Thats exactly what I mean scott re: ur anxiety dizziness. Uve got it in 1

Agree BG completely. I KNOW that inner ear dizziness can consist of lightheadiness/spaciness as well as other dizziness and this CAN be similar to anxiety dizziness BUT vertigo/balance problem cannot be anxiety and are specific to the oh so lovely inner ear

cant comment on the anxiety prior to inner ear stuff as never had anxiety in my life before...am not an anxious person at all generally........plus labyrinthitis is a 1 off event so vestibular symptoms could nt come b4 it...MAV on the other hand is different...

xxx

Last edited by crazylabyrinth; 01-06-2005 at 09:42 AM.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:25 PM   #15
    Rick49
    (male)

Rick49 HB User

I've read some reports that anxiety/ panic, and vestibular disorders are related. From the dialog here, I would say that might be a distinct possibility. While the ativan "cured" my wifes dizziness, maybe her anxiety and panic order are of vestibular origin and the assumption that it wasn't becasue it went away with the treatment was false. Here's a report that I think really hits home with this thread.
    Rick
    Anxiety affects vestibulospinal function of labyrinthine-defective patients during horizontal optokinetic stimulation.

Monzani D, Marchioni D, Bonetti S, Pellacani P, Casolari L, Rigatelli M, Presutti L.

Unit of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy. [email][email protected][/email]

Comorbidity of vestibular and anxiety disorders was suggested by epidemiological studies and, recently, new insights into potential neural circuits which subserve both balance control and emotions, appear to support this hypothesis. In particular, disorienting visual surroundings, such as those generated by full-field moving scenes, equally disrupt postural control of patients with vestibular or panic disorders. In the present study, behaviour of body sway was assessed in response to an optokinetic stimulation by means of static posturography in 20 patients with vestibular neuritis (10 patients with normal affect and 10 with generalized anxiety disorders, as diagnosed according to the American Psychiatric Association criteria), and 20 normal subjects who served as controls. Optokinetic responses and vestibulo-spinal function during a full-field, bi-directional horizontal optokinetic stimulation, were recorded simultaneously. Labyrinthine-defective patients with low and high level of anxiety showed a common pattern of asymmetric optokinetic reflexes. On the contrary, body sway was found to be increased more by eye closure and optokinetic stimulation towards the defective labyrinth in patients affected by high level of anxiety as compared to those with normal affect and controls. These data confirm the combined effect of anxiety and labyrinthine dysfunction on vestibulo-spinal function which is disclosed by both visual suppression and disorienting visual contexts.

Last edited by Rick49; 01-06-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Closed Thread