It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Undiagnosed Dizziness, Getting Worse

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2005, 01:07 PM   #1
    stcarlsen
    (male)

stcarlsen HB User
    Question Undiagnosed Dizziness, Getting Worse

I HAVE HAD A CONSTANT DIZZINESS FOR THE PAST 7 MONTHS AFTER A COUPLE OF EAR INFECTIONS, AND A REALLY BAD PANIC ATTACK, FOLLOWED BY A NASTY STOMACH FLU. I HAVE BEEN TO 3 ENTS, 2 NEUROS, CARDIOLOGIST, PSYCHOLOGIST, ETC. AND HAVE HAD A BRAIN MRI, ENG, BLOOD TESTS, AND MORE, WITH NO FINDINGS. I HAVE TINNITUS, WHICH IS WORSE IN MY LEFT EAR. THE ENG I HAD SHOWED NO INNER EAR CAUSE, WHICH I KNOW ISN'T ALWAYS ACCURATE. MY CONCERN IS THAT IT SEEMS TO BE GETTING WORSE, ALTHOUGH THERE ARE DAYS WHEN IT FEELS LIKE IT COULD BE GETTING BETTER, BUT OVERALL IT HAS DEFINATELY GOTTEN WORSE. IT FEELS LIKE I AM ROCKING BACK AND FORTH, LIKE THE GROUND IS SINKING. DOES ANYONE NOTICE THAT CERTAIN THINGS MAKE IT WORSE FOR A COUPLE WEEKS, AND THEN IT CHANGES TO SOMETHING ELSE, LIKE SOMETIMES ITS WORSE WITH ACTIVITY, OR VISUAL STIMULI, OR WALKING OR STANDING STILL, OR HEAD MOVEMENTS. BUT IT SEEMS TO CHANGE EVERY COUPLE OF WEEKS? ALSO THE DIZZINESS CHANGES ALSO, FROM SINKING TO LIGHTHEADED, TO MOTION SENSITVITY, SO IT IS KIND OF HARD TO DESCRIBE SOMETIMES. AND SOMETIMES IT FEELS LIKE I MIGHT PASS OUT FOR A COUPLE SECONDS AND LEAVES MY WITH A TON OF ANXIETY. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2005, 05:54 AM   #2
    Wowwwweeee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Wowwwweeee HB User
    Cool Re: Undiagnosed Dizziness, Getting Worse

Hi Carlsen,

Welcome to the Boards. If you have taken some time to read through this Board, you will find MANY people dealing with the same or similiar kinds of symptoms and sensations - this includes me. I have had my symptoms for almost ten years with no firm diagnosis. Like many of us, I understand completely the fear and uncertainy you are experiencing.

First, you need to calm down a little more, because all the worrying and stress that you are going through as a result of your symptoms will just make coping more difficult and will make your symptoms feel worse.

Secondly, it appears that you have been pretty thoroughly checked out for the obvious medical/physical reasons that can cause these types of symptoms, and you have been given a clean bill of health - that is GREAT news, because some of the things that can cause our symptoms are harsh diagnoses, so try to find some thankfulness that you are a healthy individual, so many others are less fortunate.

Most people who have some sort of inner ear or balance problem usually always develop anxiety along with them. You are not alone. It's horrible to feel so funny all the time, and all of a sudden the head and body that you know so well don't seem reliable. It's difficult at times to do much of anything, even if you want to - and with these symptoms come so many fears and limitations. You feel almost foreign to yourself and to your surroundings.

Along these lines, adding anxiety to these already scary symptoms, can make you feel all sorts of additional symptoms. So you are dealing with a lot of changes. It's understandable that you feel so much, because you are going through so much.

Not everyone is helped by the same thing - however, what helped me THE most was getting some counseling to learn better how to cope with the fears that came with these symptoms. I needed to accept that I was healthy despite my symptoms, and the find a way to "be calm" during the worst times, which for me took a lot of time and practice. Learning to live with these symptoms is hard to begin with - learning to live with my anxiety was even harder on some levels. My anxiety had me in a grip, and it was a lengthy struggle for me to find a way past it.

I bought a little book called "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" by Dr. Claire Weeks, and saw a therapist once a week for about a year to learn to find a better balance in how I reacted and coped with things that came my way.

I also found a lot of solace in prayer, which helped me quiet myself down and provided me reassurance and comfort when I was beside myself with fear and symptoms.

Some people also have tried anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medications. I tried an older anti-depressant medication called "Amitriptyline" for my symptoms, which DID help a lot, but I was allergic and needed to get off of it. The nice "plus" though, about this medication was that they were using it to treat my symptoms, but it also alleviated my anxiety. If you are interested in trying out a medication to help you with your anxiety, you may find something at the same time to help you with your symptoms. Currently, I will take plain aspirin mixed with Liquid Dimetapp or Benedryl, which takes the edge off my symptoms - you need to speak to your doctor about what medication(s) mght be helpful for you.

You've had your symptoms for a while now - so you are probably familiar with these feelings and sensations even if you are afraid of them. Being afraid is normal and natural - but you are in control of how much you will be afraid. You may want to find something that you can relate to that will help YOU learn to feel less anxiousness.

Remember that you are not alone.
    Remember that you have had your symptoms long enough to know that they are scary and limiting, but they are not making you fatally ill.
    Remember that you are healthy.
    Remember to test yourself so that you see and feel the inner strength that you have to get you through the scariest moments, and to allow you to persevere. Baby steps will get your there, so move your muscles. Exercise in any form is beneficial.
    Remember, coping with something scary is difficult, so go easy on yourself when you just cannot do or don't want to do something, and keep trying.
    Remember to pat yourself on the back when you do do something that you are nervous about.

Post here often - it's helps a lot. On really bad days for me, I just read through the posts as a reminder that I am not the only one!

You'll be okay.

Take good care.

Last edited by Wowwwweeee; 01-18-2005 at 05:55 AM.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
    groovyk

groovyk HB User
    Re: Undiagnosed Dizziness, Getting Worse

hey Carlsen

Sorry to hear you have been suffering. My case is very similar to yours. I too have had constant dizziness for 7 months. Mine all started with a viral ear infection.
    I have very similar symptoms too...feeling like I'm moving constantly, when I stand still I feel like I'm sinking into the ground, sensitivity to motion and visual stimuli. I have seen 3 ENT's and its only the latest one that has pinpointed that there is a problem and I need testing.

I too get anxiety. Very bad at times. The dizziness makes me feel so sick and like I'm gonna pass out..it gets the nerves going. Most of the people with an inner ear disorder get a little anxious because of the way it makes us feel and the worry of not feeling normal again. I haven't been diagnosed yet..which is very scary...but as I've heard from people on this board...it does take time in some cases..never give up.

Maybe a neurotologist would be a good idea. I just got referred to one who is apparantly very good at diagnosing unusual inner ear problems.

Closed Thread