It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Katkin - playing guitar??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-26-2005, 07:20 AM   #1
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
    Katkin - playing guitar??

Hi Katkin,

The weirdest thing just happened and I wondered if this has happened to you when singing or when doing the band thing. I just dusted off my guitars and really got stuck in for the first time in ages. The biggest attempt and session since labs. I was of course concentrating trying to remember a lot of old songs I used to play etc...anyway, I put the guitar away (acoustic) after about an hour of having a bash and realise I now feel really disorientated...a little stoned almost...and a little bit shakey/trembling....slight heart palps. It's not unlike the feeling I get from the ipod. Do you reckon it's the concentration factor and the music that is sending the brain south? Can't believe this monster can even get me doing that!! So I have to do guitar VRT now...what a joke. I just can't believe the extent to which this thing alters our lives.

Scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
    dizzy2
    (female)

dizzy2 HB User
    Re: Katkin - playing guitar??

Scott, Just to add my two cents, I do find that anything that requires a high level of concentration bothers me. I do not play guitar, but don't you have to look up and down at the guitar while playing it? I get dizzy if I have to look up and down or back at forth at something. I know what you mean about how this robs you of lots of everyday stuff. I was just having a bad day yesterday thinking about the loss of running that had happened to me. I can't yet seem to get back to the level of fitness that I was at and I am frustrated. Yeah, I can go walking, but it is not the same!!

Old 04-26-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi, I would agree with dizzy2 about the looking up and down. As well, when playing guitar, the head might just be canted at the right degree that could precipitate symptoms.

My suggestion....don't stop, but continue at shorter amounts of time. The other syptoms could be anxiety exacerbating the symptoms.

I think you're getting overload. Auditory input of a very high level will affect your eyes from the vibrations within the ears -- registering the info, etc.

Earplugs will help you immensely. Try it at your next session.

You might still feel out of sorts because of the "lack of input" because earplugs leave the information a bit muffled. But I think your brain will have an easier time receiving it.

Worth a try.

You won't have to stop playing guitar. Just KNOW that you might feel a bit differently afterward....change your head position a bit, maybe wear sunglasses or non-glare glasses to prevent too much visual input as well. You'll figure it out...but gradual information to the brain will get it used to your sessions.

Allow it to take time, try not to let your emotions get the better of you, and please don't keep reminding yourself cognitively that you will never be the same again.

Anxiety will exacerbate everything and make you think it's all hopeless. Start breaking down the process and seek options so that you can adjust to doing what you love.

Things have changed, you have to adapt to a new situation...adjust accdordingly and create the new way of playing guitar. The results may not the the same as before, but it's not hopeless from my perspective.

Enjoy what you love....just in another way.

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 04-27-2005 at 09:48 AM.

Old 04-27-2005, 05:35 AM   #4
    Katkin
    (male)

Katkin HB User

Yeah I think I do/can get that actually.
    I had a bit of a band practice yesterday and was feeling really weird. Often it makes me feel a bit better though as it takes my mind off things. But definately concentrating when playing the guitar can make me feel weird.
    Lol re. quincy's post... I was holding my hands over my ears and was on and off wiht the sunglasses yesterday. Even trying diff. coloured sunglasses. Glad I'm not a freak lol.
    I'm so worried about going back to college today after feeling so odd and upset yesterday. Maybe I'm really over-tired as haven't exactly been sleeping too well or getting early nights lately. Plus I had bad jaw-ache yesterday. Then at night I had uncomfortable/painful jaw, teeth, sinuses and ears. Maybe that week of antibiotics didn't kill the infection (that I possibly had on top of usual junk).

Do any of you ever get it where the "atmosphere" seems wrong? I don't mean like the weather... but I mean things "feel" wrong? Or a bit like the feeling of a past memory? And you don't know how you SHOULD be feeling. That's part of what I felt yesterday, along with trying not to feel disorientated/worry about the direction of the college/roads and feeling a bit funny balance wise. *sigh* Quite upset me actually.

Anyway... sorry to waffle on!! Basically yes Scott lol! Hope you're feeling a LOT better today.

Katkin xx

Last edited by Katkin; 04-27-2005 at 05:38 AM.

Old 04-30-2005, 12:26 PM   #5
    Katkin
    (male)

Katkin HB User

Hey Scott... haven't seen any posts from you since you said you were feeling disorientated... Are you feeling a bit better yet?
    Katkin

Old 04-30-2005, 04:04 PM   #6
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hi Katkin,

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for asking. I am ok...the weird feeling following the guitar playing vanished within an hour or so and I slept normally too. That's a good sign as a stir like that would - in the past - usually ruin my night as well. I've been writing and really putting my head down lately. Also, got another dose of the dreaded herpes which has left me feeling really flat (as it always does) and not very positive (or chatty) but I've been here lots of times with it before and it will lift in a day or two.

Glad (well not glad but you know what I mean) that you experience what I do with the playing guitar singing etc. At least someone else can relate to this. It seems we really have similar stuff going on when the inner ear is stimulated by sound and concentrating at the same time. It still freaks me out sometimes that this is even possible to have the strange "effects" occurring.

Thanks for the comments quincy and dizzy2. Don't think with me the head movements precipitate anything - it's the concentration plus the playing that set it off. It's the walk and chew gum scenario which seems to be quite hard (depending on the challenge) post inner ear disorder.

Scott

Old 04-30-2005, 05:00 PM   #7
    Katkin
    (male)

Katkin HB User

Oh so glad to hear you're ok! That's brilliant that you slept ok and recovered quite fast!
    I think that tiredness can really really really make it worse too. I stayed up all night on Wednesday night concentrating very hard on college work and I am still feeling it today. (Albeit it's also 1am here and I didn't go to bed last night 'til about 2am as well.) I'm feeling really disorientated. Bit like what jet lag must feel like plus the direction (possiblt the worse bit) and confusion thing booo. As I just said to my friend it's a nasty vicious circle because you need sleep because you feel weird... but you feel weird so you cant sleep... but you need sleep cos you feel weird etc etc bah!!

Anyway WELL DONE!! Keep up the good work hehe.

Last edited by Katkin; 04-30-2005 at 05:01 PM.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:07 PM   #8
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hi Katkin,

I can really relate to the effects of being tired. The other night I stayed up until 2.30 am on the PC and then got up the next morning at 8.30 am. Six hours of sleep is not enough for me at all and so for the rest of the day I was really light-headed and out of it as you describe. Not the same as pre-labs that's for sure. Hopr the disorientation thing goes quickly for you. I must say I'm not really all that clear in the head right now myself.

Once this writing is out of the way, my girl and I are going to north Australia for a couple of weeks to this place called Fraser island. It's essentially a giant sand dune about 175 km long. I'm just focusing on that today . Check it out on w***pedia for some pics.

Scottie

Old 05-01-2005, 04:16 AM   #9
    crazylabyrinth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

My mum and dad love fraser island - have fun scott and relax!

Im being assessed this wk (the school) so been working all weekend as I will have people observing me. A v tough week ahead for me. Will be glad when it's over.

xxx

Old 05-02-2005, 02:57 PM   #10
    Anastasia
    Inactive
    (female)

Anastasia HB User

i had to jump in on this post because i'm a heavy metal guitarist!
    i find i get a more rexaxed kind of stoned from playing as opposed to a barfy, sick kind of stoned that i get from VRT. i also vibrate a bit after...? i miss playing in front of an audience! thats my next obstical to jump over.

Old 05-02-2005, 03:26 PM   #11
    Katkin
    (male)

Katkin HB User

Yeah I often feel shakey/buzzy but good during/after a gig. I think the adrenaline really helps me feel better. Very tired the next day though. My main band have split up now (which was a relief as it was getting harder and harder to go to gigs) but I'm still in the college band. SO scared about our end of term concert (which is also an exam) for which I have to travel. I'm hoping so much that the performing will make me feel a lot better but oh man I so don't want to do it. Why couldn't it have been at our flippin' campus?

Just went to work and did well- even stayed extra 'cos a girl was off and there was more work to do! Yay go me.. hurrah for those little victories!

Last edited by Katkin; 05-02-2005 at 03:26 PM.

Old 05-14-2005, 06:34 PM   #12
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hey guys,

Just had another session on the guitar and feel totally off my face again - AARRGGHH. Does this ****** ever end? All I was doing was working out "Patience" by G 'n R for a break and now I'm totally spaced out. Looking at this monitor is even worse. Going for a walk.

Scott

Old 05-15-2005, 08:36 PM   #13
    Anastasia
    Inactive
    (female)

Anastasia HB User

ahhh! i've been dying to learn that song! what album is it on? lies? i'm going to start playing again soon. i've managed to go to small shows like tavern rock and stuff. hopefuly i can play live again soon too. don't give up scott! it'll get better. walking it off is a good idea. i find playing in the dark hepls too for some reason...?

Old 05-15-2005, 08:47 PM   #14
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hi Anastasia,

It's a great acoustic track isn't it? Yup, it's on Lies. Make sure you drop the guitar's tuning down a 1/2 octave and start the song on C.

So are you able to play for a while without feeling cr*ppy afterwards? I'd really be interested to know how this affects you as I want to put it behind me quickly if you find an easier way around it. I might try playing with some earplugs in to reduce the impact on the brain and then ease into it over time by letting more and more sound in. I just can't believe this illness has even tried to destroy something I love like that. Playing is supposed to make you feel chilled out not stressed out!

Best...Scott

Old 05-16-2005, 09:54 AM   #15
    dizzy2
    (female)

dizzy2 HB User

Scott, I read your post this weekend but could not reply cause I was at work. I feel your frustration! As I posted earlier in the week, just working in the garden for a short time caused me to be sick for like 3 days!! I am still feeling that sour, indigestion feeling in my gut! I try to be positive, but it is really hard! It has been 6 months now for me and I want it to end!! I want to plan some fun activities with my kids in the summer, but everything I think of involves driving, flying or amusement park rides!! Got to be always thinking about, what if I get dizzy??? It gets me down too! All I can say is, I am hoping for a good outcome for us all!

Closed Thread