It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• a few more things..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
    robbie888
    (female)

robbie888 HB User
    a few more things..

HI again,
    Thanks to Scant and Crazylab for your replies, Much much help. The last few days I have been feeling a different type of sensation along with the dizziness of course. It feels as if I had just gotten off an elevator. Like I've said, the dizzy feeling has been here for about 6 weeks now but this is fairly new. Of course my mind drifts to thinking the doctors missed something serious, which is stupid but I guess this does this to all of us! I've had more headaches lately too, which dont seem to help with motrin, tylenol, etc. Are these common symptoms of a viral ear infection also? Any info would be great, Thanks again

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2005, 04:55 PM   #2
    scant5
    Veteran
    (female)

scant5 HB User
    Re: a few more things..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robbie888
    HI again,
    Thanks to Scant and Crazylab for your replies, Much much help. The last few days I have been feeling a different type of sensation along with the dizziness of course. It feels as if I had just gotten off an elevator. Like I've said, the dizzy feeling has been here for about 6 weeks now but this is fairly new. Of course my mind drifts to thinking the doctors missed something serious, which is stupid but I guess this does this to all of us! I've had more headaches lately too, which dont seem to help with motrin, tylenol, etc. Are these common symptoms of a viral ear infection also? Any info would be great, Thanks again
    You might want to take a look into MAV especially with headaches. As far as changing symptoms, that is very common. No two days were ever identical for me. I think we all worried in the beginning that there was something that was missed and of course you always want to rule out any serious possibilities, but rest assured, probably 98% if us on these boards had nothing that was going to cause us to die.

all the best,
    Kathy

Old 05-28-2005, 12:53 PM   #3
    emily915
    (female)

emily915 HB User

Hello,
    I've also been experiencing some different types of symptoms and was wondering if anyone could share what other symptoms they have besides the dizzines, such as the feeling you just got off a boat, or something is in your head kind of moving around (sorry for the weird examples) and what they were diagnosed with, just to compare. Like I have said, the doctors I have been to so far just say its a viral ear infection. Does this sound accurate based on your diagnosis?

Old 05-28-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
    crazylabyrinth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

ROBBIE/Emily

I have inner ear dysfunction from labyrinthitis and my symptoms are:

- dizziness in the head - like a spinning.
    - faintness.
    - imbalance.
    - motion. Motion of the environment - nothing is still - this includes the ferry feeling - plus motion of my body.
    - world looks surreal - as if I am looking through odd lenses.
    - cognitive symptoms such as brainfog.
    - tiredness when dizziness bad. Soem of my tiredness is stress related with having to deal with this disorder...
    - some ear symptoms though much much less than they were. Occasional tinnitus with decreased hearing, blocked feeling, popping.

Hope this helps xxx

Old 05-28-2005, 09:55 PM   #5
    robbie888
    (female)

robbie888 HB User

Thanks that definitely helped out. Just another question too (I have a ton) haha, but does anti-vert work for anyone? I have tried it and it does not help, but I know it is supposed to suppress symptoms related to the inner ear. I know everyone is different and not all meds work for everyone, but could this indicate a diff problem aside from inner ear, or is it common for anti-vert to not always work well.

Old 05-29-2005, 02:53 AM   #6
    crazylabyrinth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

I thought antivert was for anxiety? Its not a vestibular suppressant I dont think. Oh and just cos vestibular suppressants dont work, it doesnt mean its nt inner ear. I tried serc and stemetil and both made me worse! xx

Old 05-30-2005, 03:50 PM   #7
    robbie888
    (female)

robbie888 HB User

Hi Crazylab,
    It says on the pill thing that Antivert is the same as meclizine, so i think it may be a suppressant, but at least i feel better that its ok if it doesnt work. Taking those actually made me feel worse also. Has any meds helped for you? I know you said that they aren't good to take, but just wondering.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:55 AM   #8
    crazylabyrinth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

Have never given them a chance as wouldnt like to get stuck on them as in reliant...as I know they are not good to take. I prefer to give my brain the maximum chance to compensate and to also "feel" my symptoms and not mask them if you know what I mean. I only ever take cinnarizine (stugeron in uk) if I am HORRENDOUS but I only take a few tablets - probably in the 2 1/2 yrs ive had this, I must have taken about 7 tablets...

xxx

Old 05-31-2005, 10:32 PM   #9
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robbie888
    Hi Crazylab,
    It says on the pill thing that Antivert is the same as meclizine, so i think it may be a suppressant, but at least i feel better that its ok if it doesnt work. Taking those actually made me feel worse also. Has any meds helped for you? I know you said that they aren't good to take, but just wondering.
    Hi Robbie,

Anitivert is meclizine and is an antihistamine. It's very similar to dramamine but produces fewer sdie-effects. Drowsiness is a side-effect with most anti-histamines and it's probably best to take them only when really necessary as you want to avoid "clouding" your brain as it tries to sort out the balance hassles. I believe there is room for these sorts of drugs when used only occasionally and that it won't significantly slow compensation when used this way.

Best...Scott

Old 05-31-2005, 10:42 PM   #10
    robbie888
    (female)

robbie888 HB User

HI Scott,
    Thank you for your info. I was just wondering what your symptoms are/were and what you did to help yourself. Thank you!

Old 05-31-2005, 11:02 PM   #11
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi Robbie,

I had viral labs that hit me like nuclear blast in Aug 2003. I was pretty non-functional for the first 6 months. Symptoms were strong disequilibrium, dizziness in the early days (like I just jumped off a merry-go-round), nasty anxiety which lead to sporadic depression and tremors. My eyes were unable to fix on distant objects - everything moved all the time and cognitive impairment (memory trashed, quick thinking was blunted - felt like an "airhead"). I had tinnitus too for 4 months.

Two drugs were my saviours: Valium and Cipramil. Valium was used once or twice a week when things were nasty through most of the first year. I started Cipramil at month 4 and am nearly off of it now at month 21. I'm at about 95% now. Another thing I did was to remain active. I road my mountain bike almost daily even when I felt terrible. I walked a lot and kept using the PC to force compensation even though it was really tough sometimes. I didn't stick to VRT much at all but probably should have. At one stage I did the MEP exercises for about a week as I had a BPPV episode once in the night at month 9. It seemed to clear up and I haven't had another since.

You'll get there...it just requires enormous patience.

Cheers....Scott

Closed Thread