It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Anyone Here Know If An Ssri Is Good For Mav

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
    jbbrocky
    Veteran
    (male)

jbbrocky HB User
    Anyone Here Know If An Ssri Is Good For Mav

my neurotologist said i may have Mav. I am Wondering What Treatments Are The Best For This. I Am Currently On Paxil For The Anxiety, Hoping It Also Helps With The Migraines.

Thanks For Any Input

Last edited by jbbrocky; 06-03-2005 at 11:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2005, 07:57 PM   #2
    crazylabyrinth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crazylabyrinth HB User
    Re: Anyone Here Know If An Ssri Is Good For Mav

Bit confused...did the doc actually say it was MAV?

xx

Old 06-02-2005, 08:48 PM   #3
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi jb,

Dealing with your anxiety is definitley a great move for recovery, however I was under the impression that MAV was treated with a different medication to relieve the headaches and thus the dizziness and anxiety. Maybe someone else who understands MAV well can chime in here.

Best...Scott

Old 06-02-2005, 08:49 PM   #4
    jbbrocky
    Veteran
    (male)

jbbrocky HB User

THE DR 6 MONTHS AGO SAID IT WAS BPV, AND ANOTHER SAID IT WAS LABS, AND THE RECENT ONE RULED BOTH THESE OUT AND SAID MAV AURA. WHO KNOWS.

Old 06-03-2005, 01:24 AM   #5
    hbep
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User

Sometimes the newer SSRI anti depressants are used to treat migraine, but as far as I know there is little evidence that they are an effective migraine treatment. I think doctors try them when other migraine preventatives have failed. The anti depressant and anti anxiety drugs that are known to be an effective migraine treatment for some - (everyone responds differently to the different therapies so it's v. hit and miss) are the older style anti d's called trycyclics - two of the best known ones are amitriptyline and nortiptyline. They are also effective against anxiety. That said the older drugs can sometimes (not always - depends on the individual) have more side effects.

In short, it could help, but it's not one of the more proven migraine treatments. Obviously you are taking it for anxiety - so it's also important to get that under control in the treatment of any vestibular illness. You could ask to switch to amitriptyline (elavil) in which case you'd stand more of a chance of treating both conditions. The other MAV drugs are beta blockers (propananol) they also help with anxiety. There is a drug called sandomigran (pizotifen) altthough I tried this and had the unfortunate rare side effect of extreme anxiety - so don't know about that one for you. The there are the calcium channel blockers - like verapramil. There's also the anti seizure meds - not sure of all of the names of these - I think topamax is one.

If you're still seeing the doc who diagnosed MAV, you could mention the anxiety and see if they can put u on a drug that might treat both,

best,

best,

Last edited by hbep; 06-03-2005 at 01:30 AM.

Old 06-03-2005, 07:31 AM   #6
    jbbrocky
    Veteran
    (male)

jbbrocky HB User

thanks very much that is a big help. one dr actually did prescribe nortriptalyne for me and another paxil, i decided on the paxil because i thought it had more anxiety help. i will try out paxil for a couple more weeks and if nothing helps then switch over to nortriptalyne. thanks a lot for all your guys input

Old 06-03-2005, 10:25 AM   #7
    jbbrocky
    Veteran
    (male)

jbbrocky HB User

One Question: If I Am Already On Paxil And Wish To Switch To Nortriptalyne How Long Do I Have To Wait To Make The Switch Or Can I Just Switch Whenever. Do I Have To Ween Off The Paxil Then Start The Nortriptalyne?

Old 06-03-2005, 05:58 PM   #8
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi jb,

I think you should ask your doc about this. Also it can take up to 6 weeks before you notice any positive changes from an SSRI like Paxil. Not sure how long you've been on it but don't expect any results quickly.

Scott

Old 06-03-2005, 06:17 PM   #9
    jbbrocky
    Veteran
    (male)

jbbrocky HB User

thanks scott, i plan on sticking with the paxil for at least a couple months, its only been 10 days for me.

your comments are much appreciated

thanks

JB

Closed Thread