It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Bacterial versus Viral

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2005, 07:43 AM   #1
    gloria2936
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gloria2936 HB User
    Bacterial versus Viral

If it is bacterial would the doctor see signs of infection? If they don't see infection then would one assume it is viral? Just curious how they would know if it is bacterial or viral labyrinthitis. I'm confused because it seems like doctors don't even know when it is Labyrinthitis to begin with.

Thanks,
    Gloria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2005, 08:03 AM   #2
    Howie2
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Howie2 HB User
    Re: Bacterial versus Viral

Gloria, Joy:

I saw my Neuro-Otologist last night and asked him about the diagnosis of Lab. He said that is the most popular diagnosis. All that is is the inflamation of the ear. However what we all have is Vestibular Dysfunction or disorder which no one knows the cause. It could be initially from a virus like lab but its guess work. He said more importantly is to treat it correctly with VRT and meds if needed if VRT does not help. He said I could tell you that your diagnosis is lab but it really does not matter.

Howie

Howie

Old 06-21-2005, 09:13 AM   #3
    firechick
    Veteran
    (female)

firechick HB User

HI There, from some reading I had done when Ifirst came down with this,
    I believe bacterial labs is very rare and much more dangerous, most cases are viral and because of that antibiotics don't usually help. When I had it I also got pneumonia and was sure I had bactirial but my doctor assured me it was a virus.
    You would definitely be showing symptoms of the infection if it wasn't viral, you would probably be pretty sick.

Old 06-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #4
    gloria2936
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gloria2936 HB User

Thanks for all your input.

Howie - Did he say if it is correctible or not. I guess is what I'm asking is does he think it will cure itself?

Thanks,
    Gloria

Old 06-22-2005, 05:48 AM   #5
    Howie2
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Howie2 HB User

Gloria:

Doctor could not guarantee anything but said VRT and diiferent things work. Everyone is different to how much this will work and how long. They try at least to make it as managable as possible. One thing he was rather confident about was he really doubted it can be anything else. Basically saying something this long would get worst not better not matter how slow the improvements are... Plus I have had a billion tests to rule anything else out.

Howie

Old 06-22-2005, 10:11 AM   #6
    crazylabyrinth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

I think Howie is saying - that you can get vestibular dysfunction from many things but you CAN also get it from labyrinthitis (I did). The inner ear, as discussed before, doesnt heal itself, it is the brain that compensates.

As for bacterial labyrinthitis - you would know - a lot of pain etc - and it's rare...

xxx

Old 06-22-2005, 11:22 AM   #7
    Howie2
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Howie2 HB User

CL is correct.... You can get this from many things one being lab. So it really does not matter how you get it as most of the time they do not know. What matters is how you fix it and cope with it. Thank you for your help CL

Howie

Closed Thread