It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• question about decompensation/setbacks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-05-2005, 11:00 AM   #1
    nc1323
    (female)

nc1323 HB User
    Question question about decompensation/setbacks

Hi,

Recently, like for the past week, I have been feeling worse. My symptoms feel "stronger" and all I want to do is lay down. When I walk things feel like they are swaying a lot more, in general I just feel worse and I have no clue why. I guess this is just a period of decompensation, but my question is since I never fully recovered, well I never really recovered at all, but can I still experience decomp. and setbacks??? I hope to feel better soon, as my anxiety has GREATLY increased because of this, but I hope everyone is doing 'better'

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
    joy78
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

joy78 HB User
    Re: question about decompensation/setbacks

Hello,
    I'm sorry you are feeling worse. I was wondering what your symptoms are? I can very much relate to the feeling that things are swaying. That's what I feel like when I walk sometimes. I'm still not 100% sure what kind of an inner ear thing I have, but I have had this before. About four years ago, I felt the whole room spin for about a minute or so, and then I was left with swaying sensations for 6 months. Towards the end of it, it did come and go. It did go away though. Now, I have had a relapse, and it is going on 3 months. I have good days and bad days. Not as bad as before, and I'm hoping that my feeling that the good days are outweighing the bad days continues. Try not to let this freak you out. I know how hard it is to feel better (even though better doesn't mean normal) and then to have it come back stronger. It's a horrible feeling, but you will feel better. Let me know what they diagnosed you with, and what your symptoms are. I have these swaying sensations, but i don't actually see things moving.

I hope you are feeling better.
    Take care,
    Joy

Old 07-05-2005, 11:58 AM   #3
    nc1323
    (female)

nc1323 HB User

Thanks for your reply Joyb77.
    So far I haven't been diagnosed with anything, when I initially went to my family doctor I was told it was labs, but when referred to a ear nose and throat doctor, who honestly seemed to lack any knowledge about inner ear disorders, I was then passed off to a neurologist who told me it was all in my head. After that I gave up for a while on the doctors. My symptoms are consistant with labs, it started gradually, I feel off balance, and have had a constant sensation of movement (tilting, turning, swaying, bouncing, rocking) for nearly 8 months. I have some visual symptoms when I try to focus on distant objects, and I have trouble in the dark. Those are my problems in a nutshell. I am young, only 21, and so this is hard to deal with because I don't know anyone, aside from ppl on these boards, who have this problem. I am a college student, but I recently dropped to half-time because this thing is just so stressful, I also lost my health insurance because I couldn't handle going to school full-time. Its tough. I am supposed to start back school full time in the fall, but since this thing has gotten worse, I am seriously considering just taking a semester off, but that is a really hard decision to make. I honestly dont know what else to do other than just trying to get through every day. But thanks for your advice hope you get to feeling better.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:35 PM   #4
    joy78
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

joy78 HB User

I understand being young and having this problem. I'm 27 now, and was 22 at the time it first started. Mine came on more suddenly, but the symptoms sound about the same as mine, especially the first time I had it. I was just out of college, but this relapse found me at the end of my semester at a new school (doing pre-reqs) to get into graduate school. I made it through as this time was not as bad as the first. The first time I had this, the swaying was intense, I felt very weird, and very scared. I took dramamine for a while. It helped calm things down but didn't get rid of it. I also can have problems in the dark, and have to fall asleep with the tv on. This is NOT in your head... it's in your ears (okay, not the best time for stupid jokes... ). Find a doctor that can help you. You are not crazy, and this is a problem that needs help and support. Keep looking for doctors,don't give up.You should get an ENG (inner ear test done) to see what is going on in your ears. Find a doctor that can help, they are out there. It can last a while, so don't get discouraged. How long have you had your symptoms?

The first time I had this, I thought it would never go away. BUT IT DID. 6 months later.... it started to subside and eventually left. You are young, and will feel better. Try to hang in there.
    Hugs,
    Joy

Old 07-05-2005, 01:38 PM   #5
    Tesss
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tesss HB User

HI
    Sorry you are feeling worse. Its so frustrating to be feeling bad and not know why you feel bad, but I would guess that you are definately suffering some decompensation. Your symptoms do sound a lot like mine, the focussing on things far away, staggering around in the dark, constant sensation of movement, swaying, tilting. I have been diagnosed with labs although I haven't had any tests yet, and I have had this for 8 months also, although mine started suddenly with vertigo.

Maybe its a good idea to take a bit of time off if its not going to set you back school wise, but actually it is a form of vrt to keep doing stuff, and to keep having to do stuff. Im glad I didn't resign from work, although I really felt like it.
    This will get easier over time as Joy said. Decompensation will not last for ever as your brain will get used to the latest decompensation and begin to adjust to it. Try to keep doing some stuff, try to avoid swinging your head around too much but try to keep active - go for a short walk.

There are some exercises that you can do - do a search on this board or search on the net for Cawthorne exercises - they involve gentle repetitive movements which force your brain to get used to the movements. they do help, although it would be better to try to see someone to get some exercises tailored to you.
    You will be okay though, you will get through this, and you will get better and get your life back.

Best wishes
    Tesss

Closed Thread