It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Hydrops - low salt diet - anyone with advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-28-2005, 02:08 AM   #1
    giw9892
    (male)

giw9892 HB User
    Hydrops - low salt diet - anyone with advice

Hi

I was recently diagnosed with Endolymphatic Hydrops and was told to go onto a low salt diet. But I wasn't given any boundaries. I have seen on the web that 1500mg of sodium should be a maximum but how do you easily select food off the shelf?

Has anyone been advised of a diet which can be easily employed to select suitable foods. At the moment I have to look the food weight multiply by sodium content etc..etc. This makes shopping a nightmare! and turns a quick trip to the supermarket into a long affair.

Is there a ratio that can be used i.e. 0.2mg/100g that is suitable for people on low salt diets?

Any advice greatly received..!

Thanks

GIW

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2005, 05:40 AM   #2
    giw9892
    (male)

giw9892 HB User
    Re: Hydrops - low salt diet - anyone with advice

Thanks Rick I'll look into that, it's good info

Cheers

GW

Old 07-28-2005, 06:48 AM   #3
    Jill43
    (female)

Jill43 HB User

GIW,

I don't know anything about the diet but I was wondering what your symtoms are? I was told I have Menieres but I don't have the typical symptoms.

Thank you,
    Jill

Old 07-28-2005, 01:22 PM   #4
    giw9892
    (male)

giw9892 HB User

Hi Jill

My symptoms don't fit menieres exactly as I don't have vertigo although I suffer from dis-equilibrium at times. My symptoms are:

I have varying tinnitus
    fluctuating sensorineural hearing the greatest variation being at 500Hz
    At times aural fulness
    And sensitive at times to certain noises like clicking a knife on a plate when eating a meal.

I don't have an attack, my symptoms come on over a couple of days, and I notice I get a 'bong' in my left ear when I do something like click on a light switch. I can actually rub my good ear (right) and get a 'bong' in the left?

I had every test done by a top Neurotologist in London and I wasn't diagnosed with Hydrops (menieres), it was only on my follow up consultation that diagnosis was changed based upon a discussion of my symptoms.

Out of interest let me know your symptoms. Menieres, is a very controversial subject and seems to be a default diagnosis for many ENT consultants and Menieres mimics many other disorders. So don't hesitate in getting a second opinion.

Let me know what happened to you..

regards
    GIW

Old 07-28-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
    Jill43
    (female)

Jill43 HB User

GIW,

I had a trauma to my ear from a flight I took several months ago. I do not have hearing lose in fact my hearing is excellent. I have terrible pressure in my right ear that seems to be on a cycle, every other day the pressure or fullness is really bad.

I have dizziness but not true vertigo, I feel like I have been on a boat and this goes on 24/7. I have tinnitus that is a high pitched ringing or sometimes it is a low rumbling sound. I also have a burning pain in my ear and sometimes it feels like it burns down the side of my face and neck. My ear is also very sensitive to certain sounds any high pitched sounds just kill me.

I have had many tests too and been to alot of Drs. I am getting very tired of this it has been going on for about 20 or 21 months now and nothing seems to help.

How did yours start?

Thank you,
    Jill

Old 07-29-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
    Jill43
    (female)

Jill43 HB User

GW

I was wondering if over the counter health supplements would help. I haven't tried them yet. I went to a local health food and supplement store but nobody there had ever heard of menieres and didn't know what to recommend.

Have you tried water pills? I was on Aldactazide for quite a few months. This is a potassium sparing water pill but it didn't help so I figure why take it? I also try to watch my salt intake but that doesn't help either. My neuro oto gave me an oral steroid as well as steroid shots directly into the ear.

Nothing I try seems to help me at all and the Dr. told me he really has nothing more to offer me. If I could at least get rid of this pressure or fullness in my ear as well as the lightheaded feeling I think I would feel alot better.

Thank you for the information and I hope you are feeling better.

Jill

Last edited by Jill43; 07-29-2005 at 01:40 PM.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:30 AM   #7
    giw9892
    (male)

giw9892 HB User

Jill

I guess my last post was deleted. But I've heard Vinpocetine (which I'm trying to get hold of in the UK) is supposed to be good for tinnitus and I've seen a similar thread on the hearing disorders healthboard which totally alleviated one persons tinnitus. But I've also read that it was given to the russian astronauts for motion sickness (I don't know if this is true or not?). But the thrust seems to be to improve the circulation of the micro-blood vessels in and around the inner ear. There may be no clinical evidenace for these products but I'm willing to try and see if it improves my situation. Generally, over the shelf health supplements don't have any side effects.

I'm also looking Lemon Bioflavanoid and a few others but It's difficult in the UK to get a hold of some of these products.

Take Care

GW

Old 08-01-2005, 04:32 AM   #8
    giw9892
    (male)

giw9892 HB User

Thanks for trying anyway Gloria, it's appreciated!

GW

Closed Thread