It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• How to treat Brain Fog associated with Inner Ear Disorders?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2005, 07:03 PM   #1
    tr3
    (male)

tr3 HB User
    Unhappy How to treat Brain Fog associated with Inner Ear Disorders?

Hello,

How do you treat brain fog that comes with inner ear disorders? I know for dizziness, Vestibular Rehabilitation works really well to retrain the brain for balance.

Right now what I need most is for this brain fog to dissipate or go away completely. I think the brain fog is causing a lot of problems for my brain. I'm always confused and lose trains of thought. I can't carry a long conversation. I have difficulties choosing words. I forget things really easily. I feel disconnected and my head is just blank most of the time.

I can handle the dizziness that I'm having, because it isn't that bad. But the brain fog is just a killer for my relationship with my fiance'. When she talks to me, she said that she often feels like she's talking to a wall, or sometimes it's like I'm not even there, because often my head is just blank and I can't reply with anything meaningful! I do feel like a wall, because I can't do all the normal things that normal people can do so effortlessly!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2005, 10:29 PM   #2
    joy78
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

joy78 HB User
    Re: How to treat Brain Fog associated with Inner Ear Disorders?

Try talking to your doctor about taking ginko biloba. It supposedly can help with compensation by increasing blood flow. Plus it's supposed to help with mental alertness. I have been taking it for a couple months, since relapsing with this thing, and it has helped (I think). My mind seemed cleared which definatley helped me feel better. I would talk to your doctor to make sure you can take it and that it won't interfere with any other medications you are taking. You can even google ginko biloba and vestibular disorders and see what comes up. That's how I found out about it. It is supposed to help. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:55 AM   #3
    Tesss
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tesss HB User

Hi tr3,
    Sorry that you have to join us on this board. I know what you mean with the brain fog and not able to hold conversations or remember words. I had that too. It does go away but the trouble with this illness is that everything is connected, the brain fog is part and parcel of this illness and you do need to treat it all together. As you get better you will find that it does go.

I don't know how long you have had this, and how active you are, but I found that going for walks in the fresh ar helped to clear my head, and just getting out and being active. Do you have a program of vestibular rehabilitation? As Joy said taking ginko bilboa will help with circulation and there was a recent post by dizzy_dave where there were a number of exercises posted, but you do need it tailored to you really. Hope that helps.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
    gloria2936
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gloria2936 HB User

Hi tr3,

Tess is so right about the walks clearing your head. I had brain fog so bad for a good 5 months then little by little it went away. I still have it very very mildly although it could just be some slight pressure I am feeling as it doesn't feel much like steel wool in my head anymore. I started slow with my walks (just a few blocks) and worked my way up to a few miles a day now. I noticed right away in the beginning that after my walk I always felt somewhat better, almost like it was clearing my head some. As Tesss said, little by little it goes away. Mine is just about gone with the exception of maybe some slight fullness or pressure feeling.

I also found that keeping notes for the important stuff does help. It is hard to think through all this stuff and most of the time your mind is just on your head and I don't think we really comprehend or really want to hear what someone else is saying.

Take care - Gloria

Old 10-21-2005, 12:27 PM   #5
    joy78
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

joy78 HB User

Hi Gloria,
    How are you? I just saw your posted and wondered how things were going. Let me know if you have a chance. I hope you are doing better!
    Joy

Old 10-22-2005, 04:52 PM   #6
    Sportsfan1
    (male)

Sportsfan1 HB User

Hey TR#,

I have this as well and it is a frustrating part of this problem. I work in advertising which requires a quick and creative mind every day, but some days this brain fog makes me wonder whether what I am saying in a creative meeting makes any sense whatsoever...who knows, maybe I'll end up creating something that I could have never thought of without the fog This seems to be the lingering part (and when I say lingering, I got diagnosed with VN about 10 weeks ago, which is nowhere near the time some people on this board have had their problems) along with an offbalance feeling...the way I describe it to people is the feeling you get after having a fever for a couple of days...you just don't feel completely right and that can be very aggravating everyday but it does fade...I am worlds away from where I was but still struggle since I was always so used to being quick on my feet mentally and physically...it does get better...just ask your girlfriend to be patient...if she cares for you, then this will be a blip on the radar screen of your relationship...I had never heard anything about inner ear disorders until I got one but they are more prevelant than most people think and my friends have been a great support system...hop on google and do a search for Alicia Molik or Mary Henin Hardene...they are both top ranked tennis players who had this for 5 months...let your girlfriend read about the struggles that she had with this and she will get it.

Good luck!

Sportsfan

Old 10-24-2005, 02:06 PM   #7
    dsknicker

dsknicker HB User

Hi TR3

I am sorry to hear about you condition. I too have 24/7 "brain fog" and I agree it is one of the worse and most debilatating aspects of inner ear disorders. Like yourself I initially could barely speak as I was stumbling over my own thoughts, searching for words, etc. The good news is that over time you learn to adapt and "think through" the fog.. kind of like patting your head and rubbing your belly at the same time ( or is that the other way around?! lol ) So, be patient (and so should your fiance) as this is a rough road you have ahead of you that nobody but those who have been there can appreciate. Also, look at the new thread I started on this board today for more about what I have found to be helpful... but I truly hope your "brain fog" goes away and makes my post moot. Hang in there!

Closed Thread