It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Clues from Healthy Brains--AKA--Brain Fog--Scott

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2005, 08:47 AM   #1
    Subs30
    Inactive
    (male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
    Cool Clues from Healthy Brains--AKA--Brain Fog--Scott

Some interesting research coming out of:

University College London with a/the research team being lead by:

Sarah-Jayne Blakemore.

Seems like her research is showing that:

When our brains issue a command to move a part of our bodies, two signals are sent. One goes to the brain regions that control the particular parts of the body that need to move, and another goes to regions that monitor the movements. It's all the same information sent to a different place.

Our brains then use this copy to predict what kind of sensation the action will produce. i.e., speaking will make us hear our own voice, reaching for a doorknob will make us feel the cold touch of brass, a flick of an eye will make objects appear to move across our field of vision,..etc....

If the actual sensation we receive does not closely match our prediction, our brains become aware of the difference.

The mismatch may make us pay more attention to what we are doing or prompt us to adjust our actions to get the results we want.

(think like---keeping our balance---while moving about---or moving our eyes correctly(predictably) as we move about---or---increasing the brain's use of processing commitment---when it becomes aware of a dfference---etc....)

And---if the sensation does not match our predictions at all, our brains interpret them as being caused by something other than ourselves.

(think like---people saying----its like its not me---feels "off", "strange" "a high", etc....)

Think back---to this post about cognitive research/results involving inner ear problemslocated here

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=218846&page=3&pp=5[/url]

....."Our hypothesis is that the reason you have this problem as a vestibular patient is that your brain stem is affected. The brain stem is a stalk connected to the spinal cord. There are nuclei located in the brain stem that attach to your balance system; they are also highly important for keeping your cortex, your thinking areas, alert and aroused and attentive.

Could it be that since you're constantly fighting the mismatch from your visual input and your disordered balance system that a very basic mechanism -- a mechanism that was developed as you learned to sit and crawl and that influenced how you later manipulated objects and then walked and spoke and thought, a mechanism that's taken for granted and built into very fundamental habits -- could it be that something that fundamental is being distorted? That the vestibular and visual disturbance interferes with nuclei functioning within the brain stem and thus interferes with your sequencing of information and impairs and reduces your channeling capacity?

It's an intriguing hypothesis, exceedingly difficult to test. Nevertheless it makes some sense, as anyone with a vestibular disorder can speak to. Basic problems with reading, watching letters transpose, problems with movement and the orienting to the environment -- these are manipulations of the environment that were learned at a very fundamental developmental stage."....

Maybe---they are getting closer...interesting...few would argue...that our vestibular system are---producting correct signals for the function:

...."Our brains then use this copy to predict what kind of sensation the action will produce"....

That's for sure!!!!!

Scott---u may be able to access the research via the Univ network...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2005, 09:02 PM   #2
    dizzyblond
    (female)

dizzyblond HB User
    Re: Clues from Healthy Brains--AKA--Brain Fog--Scott

Incredible info - it makes sense! In the beginning, the brain fog was so "thick" for me that it was almost impossible to "see through" at times. I can certainly see that as my brain has been learning how to compensate for the damage of my initial vestibular insult so many months ago, that the brain fog, as well, has markedly decreased.
    Can't help but think that it's no wonder it takes so much hard work to recover from this - there's so much going on inside our heads!
    Thanks for the research!

Old 10-23-2005, 09:20 PM   #3
    joy78
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

joy78 HB User

It is extremley fascinating. Even though it take SO long to feel better, it is remarkable that our brains can realize something is wrong, and find a way to compensate so we feel better. The body is pretty amazing!

Old 10-24-2005, 05:55 AM   #4
    Howie2
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Howie2 HB User

Subs:

Great info.... I guess that is also why we can get relapses....as our brains our working on other things and can not help out the inner ear.... I guess for people who have got hit with this at a young age like myself research like this makes me think one day their will be more ways to help us

Howie

Old 10-24-2005, 07:17 AM   #5
    Tesss
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tesss HB User

I agree with all the posters, and I always find it very interesting when things like this are posted, so thanks Subs, much appreciated.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:32 AM   #6
    Howie2
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Howie2 HB User

Subs:

This information just giving us reasons to why we feel the way we do. Why we have ups and downs and why the decompensation. Lets hope one day they can fix this though.... Be nice ....

Old 10-24-2005, 02:20 PM   #7
    Subs30
    Inactive
    (male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
    Cool Re: Clues from Healthy Brains--AKA--Brain Fog--Scott

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Howie2
    Subs:

This information just giving us reasons to why we feel the way we do. Why we have ups and downs and why the decompensation. Lets hope one day they can fix this though.... Be nice ....
    Hi

Few who have this junk would argue that...fact...some would chose..a stronger word then "nice"...(i.e.,--for us--who have it---our interest--is---where is the "fix")

My take----

Science---as with/in many endeavors advances along/on many fronts...these advances (or setbacks) are never---liner---are driven by---interests--competition--sometimes necessity---and "resources"--which are not infinite

....for us----these forces are not aligned..yet---because the---"basic science" is not in place which would make the problem---ripe---for solution--therefore---resources have not been obligated------because of that---and---for a number of other reasons...some reasonable---some not.

I agree its kind of "nutso"---for us

----if u had a TV antenna connected to a TV set and the antenna got struck by lightning---damaging the antenna and frying some of the brains of the TV set

---why would u only fix the antenna---and forget---the TV

---only---if u did not understand how the it really worked

Until basic science decodes the brain...&...they will/are

...the job is to stay abreast of where they are

...and use that...data/info/knowledge...to...adapt.. overcome

...while ur waiting for them to catch up.....is that possible?

Drive(Volunteer) a 16 pax DAV Van that transports...wounded Vet's...to the VA Med Cen that deals with head wounds...don't ever doubt...ur capability/capacity..to overcome...and go forwarded...with/without mod med...see it everyday...7/24...

Old 10-24-2005, 05:06 PM   #8
    dizzyblond
    (female)

dizzyblond HB User

Now that's a message of hope!! Thanks, Subs!
    xox ~ R

Old 10-25-2005, 02:40 AM   #9
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hey Subs,

Great info. Thanks for the write up. I'll see if I can't dig up the pdf for you. I checked out medline for other work done by this group and they've churned out some previous papers along similar lines. Glad there's people out there chipping away at this from all directions.

Scott

Closed Thread