It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

Inner ear Disorder? Anxiety? Im sooo confused......

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2005, 10:13 PM   #1
Inferit
(male)

Inferit HB User
Inner ear Disorder? Anxiety? Im sooo confused......

Reading through this forum matches so well with my story! I thought I was suffering from Anxiety. But now that I have read through here i'm not sure anymore. I been posting in the Anxiety forum for answers, but have not really found any. So I'll tell you my story here and maybe someone here can help me and tell me whats going on here.

It all started 1 month 3 weeks ago when I caught a Upper Respritory Infection/Virus. I was so scared at the time I actually thought I was dieing. I don't remember ever being so sick in my life. After a few weeks the virus game me a Sinus infection. So I went back to the doctor and was told I have Sinusitis. She said my inner ear was a little red and my left nasal passage was swollen. So now after a couple weeks my sinuitis cleared up and I feel a lot better. But every now and again I get this dizzy spell, hard to explain I just feel like i had a couple beers. This hole time I was thinking it was Anxiety not something with my ear(?). The funny thing is.... I never had Anxiety untill I got sick.. Sure I would have some anxiety with "triggers" (phobias) like flying or being trapped. But it was never a constant worry/dizzyness like I feel now. The catch 22 is... When I was having a dizzy spell.. I thought it was Anxiety causing me to be dizzy. But now after reading this board i'm thinking this Inner Ear Disorder might be causing me to be dizzy and this in-turn is making me think its Anxiety. If anyone was able to follow that hehe.

Anyways, what is Inner Ear Disorder? I hear a lot of people talk about this happening to them after a cold or flu. Does it go away on its own or do I need to take something? I have been dealing with this for 1 month 3 weeks now and have almost convinced myself I was suffering from some type of Anxiety Disorder. I had some Panic Attacks also that might of been caused by me thinking I have anxiety(?).

Hopefully someone can relate to my story and help clear this up for me.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story. I appreciate ANY feedback you guys can give me. Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2005, 11:50 PM   #2
studyin
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
Re: Inner ear Disorder? Anxiety? Im sooo confused......

Hi Inferit,

Anxiety is really common with an inner ear problem. Most docs don't get that but after experiencing it myself and seeing how it has affected everyone here on the board, there's no question. There is plenty of solid information on it in the literature too.

In my experience, anxiety and dizziness are circular. One leads to the other, leads to the other. The good news is that by killing the anxiety this illness creates, you get a head start on recovering. It took me a long time to learn that and to even recognise I had anxiety problems at the time but once I got on top of it, everything changed dramatically.

From what you are saying, it is most definitely inner ear driven. Don't let anyone tell you you're "just anxious". See if you can sort it out yourself now that you know but if not (which is not uncommon either) don't hesitate to get some help (counselling) or use some meds to take the edge off of it all. Valium works well in small amounts and in really persistent cases an antidepressant (SSRI) can also be really effective. The latter is the route I took and I am now nearly 100% again.

Best...Scott

Old 12-07-2005, 02:05 AM   #3
Inferit
(male)

Inferit HB User

Thx again for the reply

So what is inner ear disorder and how did i get it? DId I get the inner ear disorder from my sinuse infection? Will the Anxiety go away once the Inner ear disorder gets better and i'm nat so dizzy.

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm just really confused on whats going on with me.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:17 AM   #4
firechick
Veteran
(female)

firechick HB User

Hi There
my bout of labyrinthitis started with a major upper respiratory infection, one that gave me a sinus infection and a bad case of peneumonia. I was in bed for at least two weeks with it. My inner ear problem came on the same day with major vertigo, to the point of being carried out of work and crawling to the toilet for the next few days.
Chances are that the infection worked it's way into the ear and inner ear causing some infammation. If the infection is bad, it will cause some damage which many of us on this board are dealing with. The damage is permanent and the vestibular system is impaired. This means the brain has to do more work to compensate for the loss of the inner ear function. Not everyone (hopefully including you) who gets an inner ear infection suffers this problem. If the swelling wasn't too major, there may be no permanent damage and you will feel off balance and dizzy for a few weeks until the swelling goes down. Many of us were initially told by the doctor that we would be fine in 3-6 weeks...but not for everyone. If after a month or more you are still feeling "off" in balance or dizziness, then you will need to explore what, if any, damage has occurred. If you didn't get the wild vertigo, with vomitting etc you may be okay...my doctor gave me a "gold star" for my vertigo, not something to be proud of I am sure. He said he had never seen such a bad case of nystagmus as my eyes were literally rolling in my head when I went in the first morning with this and proceeded to throw up in his office!!! (talk about a bad day)
Hope you are feeling better soon
FC

Old 12-07-2005, 11:18 AM   #5
boxgirl73
Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User

does anyone know how one is officially diagnosed with labrynthitis? catscan, mri? any test at all?

Old 12-07-2005, 01:26 PM   #6
Inferit
(male)

Inferit HB User

Thx so much for the replies!

Yeah when I first got hit with the virus I was in bed for about a week. When I think back to it, it all feels like a dream. I don't really remember specific moments when I was first sick. I don't have the anxiety that I used to have. I think my head has calmed down a lot. I'm also not as dizzy either. I can tell when i'm dizzy by when I try reading stuff. Especally when I try reading threads on this board. It all becomes blurry like as if I was just dazzing at something for a while. But i'm not dazzing im trying to read heh. So far this had been going on for about a month and 3 weeks. I hope it will continue to get better.

I really appreciate all the replies. You guy helped me put a finger on whats going on with me. For the last month I thought I was going crazy to was coming down with some kind of Anxiety Disorder. Now I can rest my mind a little by telling myself its prolly some type of infection with my ears/sinuses.

Anyways, anymore feedback you guys have I would love to hear. I'm new to this inner ear stuff and could use any information to help deal with it
Thanks!

Old 12-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #7
studyin
Senior Veteran
(male)

Make sure you check out all of the articles in the top sticky post. This website has a good over-view of it all:

[url]http://www.opt.pacificu.edu/ce/catalog/COPE7282/Dizzy.html[/url]

Best....Scott

Old 12-07-2005, 03:23 PM   #8
Inferit
(male)

Inferit HB User

Thx for the link. Thats a lot of reading, I'll read though it tonight.

I can't stress how much better I feel that this inner ear deal is the culprit behind my Anxiety. I literally though I was going crazy. I just couldn't find any answers why I feel this way on the net. I thought it was wierd for someone to have Anxiety all of the sudden. I had always though Anxiety was a slow process that contines to escalate. But my Anxiety started right when I got sick with a Virus and since then up till now I been thinking I was depressed or had some kind of GAD.

Old 12-09-2005, 02:54 AM   #9
Inferit
(male)

Inferit HB User

Update:

Well its now been a couple of days since I came to this board and i'm happy to say for the most part i'm Anxiety free! I have some anxious moments but I tell myself its just an infection in my ears. I can't beleive how much that help. The mind can play some scary ticks on you.. I swear I was feeling physical anxiety at times and it felt SO REAL.

Well the Anxiety is mostly gone now, but I still feel like "crap". I noticed the last couple of days I been having a constant headache. Nothing like pounding/sharp headache just a constant annoying headache. I been breathing steam and it takes care of the headache for a few hours. So im thinking its Sinus related. I'm still lightheaded, but dont really notice it untill I try to read something and everything gets a bit blurred. I'm REALLY hoping this lightheaded feeling goes away on its own. I never really listed the symptoms i'm feeling beside anxiety and dizziness so i'll list them here for anyone who cares to read, compare or comment.

-Anxiety (better now)
-Lightheaded (1-2 Beers, would not classify as vertigo)
-Blurred vision when reading
-Red ears (From Sinus?)
-constant Headache
-White tongue (Its been white ever since I got sick 1mo/3weeks)
-Dazzed (noticed i have been dazzing off a lot)
-Not eating as much as I used too
-Feel better at night (I feel like "crap" during mid day)
-Sweating at night/sleep (this reciently stopped a few days go, Thank GOD!)
-Cough (cough up junk maybe 4-5 times a day)
-Dry eyes
-Sweating hands/feet (off and on with no triggers)
-Eyes have a hard to focusing (like if i look at something close for a while then look at something far it takes a couple seconds to adjust)

Also something I find weird that maybe some can clear up for me.....
When I'm up moving around im not AS dizzy. But if I sit/lay down I notice my dizziness. Is this common with a Inner ear problem?

Old 12-09-2005, 02:03 PM   #10
studyin
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Inferit,

>>I swear I was feeling physical anxiety at times and it felt SO REAL.

It was real. Your thought processes plus the central nervous system upset causes a release of biochemicals in your body that produce the anxiety response. It is extremely uncomfortable. Glad you seem to have it under control now that you know the cause. Shows you clearly how our own minds can contribute so much to the terrible anxiety of labyrinthitis.

All of the other symptoms will go at their own pace. How long it takes is anyone's guess but for 99% they go.

Cheers....Scott

Closed Thread