It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• latent virus returns or decompensation event ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
    elpirata
    (male)

elpirata HB User
    latent virus returns or decompensation event ?

back in feb the neurotologist gave me a prescription for prednisolone (an anti-inflammatory) and acyclovir (an anti-viral) and said that the mild symptoms I was experiencing at that time, which date back to mild case of labyrinthitus 4 years ago could be:

1) the latent virus which gave me the original symptoms coming back or

2) could be a decompensation event possibly aggravated by anxiety.

does any peeps know is there any agreement between the top docs about this ?

can the virus really stay latent for years ? or is it more likely to be decompensation or anxiety.

I dont really want to take these drugs unless there is a good chance they will work ?

regards

elpirata

Last edited by elpirata; 06-09-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
    stargrave
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

stargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB User
    Re: latent virus returns or decompensation event ?

Unfortunately, there is not a total "agreement" about this stuff, because it's hard to know what really is happening inside.

Besides some evident stuff, like tumors, direct injury, and similar, most of the time it's hard to know what exactly cused the damage on the first place.

As you may know, most of the tests to check this thing, measure your actual vestiblar function and response, to see what is wrong in there, but none could tell you how, or sometimes even when it all started.

In my case, I've hada a first attack of positional vertigo back in 2004, with an almost complete symtom free 2005, until late January this year where unsteadiness, fogginess, and visual trouble, got me.

My neuroto think of this as an "old" vertigo, so this could be a decompensation event, but for me feels like something new... In any case no one has been able to tell me what exactly caused this, and when does it really started.

Worst of all, no one knows for sure when does it's going to end... besides the "usual" 1-3 years mark to 100% compensation, wich by no means is an exact figure, but, it's the most approximate I've seen from the cases I've read around the net.

Last edited by stargrave; 06-14-2006 at 09:14 AM.

Closed Thread