It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Can certain scents make u dizzier?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2006, 04:11 PM   #1
    Tiff22
    (female)

Tiff22 HB User
    Can certain scents make u dizzier?

Hi,

Ive been doing really well the past couple of weeks with all the lightheaded dizzy stuff. Have some in between days here and there, but overall, am doing much better. Im 2 weeks into grad school now, the stress is a lot, but surprisingly hasnt intensified the dizziness (i guess i will wait for my exam days for that). Anyway, my question for everyone is: does anyone get worse symptoms because of certain smells? We have a dissection lab in school which smells TERRIBLE, and it seems to trigger my lightheadedness. Yesterday, i had to sit down in the lab because i felt like i was going to pass out (something i havent really felt to that extent in a few weeks). I think i worried a few of my classmates. I believe its because of my inner ear, because that kind of stuff doesnt gross me out or anything, or make me feel woozy in any way like it does to some people. Just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
    Lauren29
    (female)

Lauren29 HB User
    Re: Can certain scents make u dizzier?

I am sure a strong chemical smell or something would affect you. I know when my friend took me to get a pedicure for my b-day the smell in there really knocked me back. I think that we are just sensitive to so many things now w/ this inner ear thing.
    Glad to hear that you are doing better though! That's good news!

Old 06-15-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
    Rick49
    (male)

Rick49 HB User
    Re: Can certain scents make u dizzier?

...I've had full blown vertigo attacks that were triggered by smells. One is formaldehyde (new car smaell) which is often in labs also and strong diesel fumes. Strong perfumes will make me dizzy also.
    ...I not sure if it was from the fumes themsleves or from underbreathing. My wife get's similar symptoms to me (lightheadedness and also panic attacks from underbreathing) High CO2 (from underbreathing) is a common way to trigger panic attacks in the lab and I also read a study where they caused inner ear damage to some rabbits and the CO2 caused them to get vertgio and it didn't have any effect on the healthy group of rabbits. So whether it's and inner ear disorder or an anxiety disorder, CO2 can be a trigger.
    ...Since the lab smelled so bad there's a good chance that the ventilation system wasn't working very well either, adding to high concentrations of CO2. This is a pretty easy one to test and that's to get in freash air and start deep breathing.
    Rick

Closed Thread