It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• diffrence between peripheral and central causes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
    comeandrelax
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

comeandrelax HB User
    diffrence between peripheral and central causes

does anyone know what the diffrences are?? and how to tell for sure what the signs of each are? subs?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
    liveausberlin
    Inactive
    (male)

liveausberlin HB User
    Re: diffrence between peripheral and central causes

question? are you dizzy? suffering from imbalance/vertigo whatever u have it. If you are, are you more dizzy with your eyes closed or open, let me know and I can help seperate the difference. I'm pre-med and also suffering from vertigo myself so I've become a semi-expert on this stuff.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
    boxerlver227
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

boxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB User
    Smile Re: diffrence between peripheral and central causes

Hi I am wondering about this answer as well, but noticed there was no response as of yet! so I figured I'd jump in too!! Hope you don't mind..
    I have been suffering with vertigo too.. mostly subjective, I feel motion, swaying, tilting, rocking, falling, sometimes movement of objects, and most of all floaty and my favorite the elevator sensation.. (like you get in an elevator)
    When my eyes are closed I feel like I falling of floating. I can't say whether eyes open or closed makes much of a diffrence, but I do feel more of my symptoms when I am standing, walking or sitting still. If I keep moving around the symptoms aren't as bad~ although I walk around like I am drunk!
    But as soon as I stop walking I feel the after affects, as if I am still in motion. I also have tired eyes with lots of pressure, headaches, tightness in my neck and shoulders. I wonder if mine is ear connected or central connected. I know my symptoms are chronic and have been for several YEARS!! The only time my symptoms subside is if I am laying down? Not sure if that is common with inner ear disorders.
    I can say this, my anxiety is up there from all this and my life has been put on hold for so long now that I am starting to think I will have this forever..
    Is it common for inner ear problems to last this long.. YEARS??
    I would love to know the answer to this question if you would be so kind to post it! Thanks in advance for any advice! boxerlover227

Old 02-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
    Subs30
    Inactive
    (male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
    Talking Re: diffrence between peripheral and central causes

Quote:
    Originally Posted by comeandrelax View Post
    does anyone know what the diffrences are?? and how to tell for sure what the signs of each are? subs?

Dizziness can be divided into two major types: central and peripheral.

Central refers to conditions in the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) which can cause dizziness. These include primarily strokes, tumors or trauma.

Peripheral describes causes of dizziness which arise mainly from the ear or more specifically, from the balance nerves and balance organs in the inner ear.

Peripheral vertigo is the most common type and can arise from tumors, trauma, infections, migraines, allergies, and inner ear fluid abnormalities.

The above tends to be---dated---(more of a clinical then research driven definition)---Dizziness---by the R&D Centers(Univ of Penn, Northwestern, UCLA, John Hopkins, etc..)--- it is---characterized as:

---Otologic (inner ear related, about 50% of all dizziness)

---Central or Neurologic (brain related, 5% of dizziness in general)

They(R&D) further characterize as:

---Medical (5%)

---Psychological(15%), and

---Unknown causes or diagnoses so vague as to be meaningless (25%)

U can go to:

[url]http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/outline.htm[/url]

---the information is in the "information archive"(sticky--1st post on board)---to learn what the significant difference are & how they are derived---is also there.....much to long to post---here.....

Last edited by Subs30; 02-25-2007 at 01:22 PM.

Closed Thread