It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Is It Sensory Overload / Hyperacusis???...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-12-2007, 01:16 AM   #1
    watcar
    (female)

watcar HB User
    Is It Sensory Overload / Hyperacusis???...

Anyone else experience super sensitivity to sound? Even the sound of their own voice being too loud? Also difficult concentrating on conversations when more than one person is talking which in turn creates visionary problems and collapses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 01:47 AM   #2
    Anaty
    (female)

Anaty HB User
    Re: Is It Sensory Overload / Hyperacusis???...

Absolutely. I have suffered from this problem for a few months. It does go away.
    Anaty

Old 09-12-2007, 05:16 AM   #3
    mbaxter333
    (female)

mbaxter333 HB User

Oh Yes, it's hard to be in groups of family sometime. I know exactly what you are talking about. It goes in phases.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by watcar View Post
    Anyone else experience super sensitivity to sound? Even the sound of their own voice being too loud? Also difficult concentrating on conversations when more than one person is talking which in turn creates visionary problems and collapses.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:29 AM   #4
    tummy2
    Veteran
    (male)

tummy2 HB User

I had the hyperacusis... It was terrible.. I would be startled so easily and it felt like certain sounds were going right through me like chills. I used to mainly get this when I tried to sleep or I would lay down

Old 09-12-2007, 06:29 AM   #5
    gloria2936
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gloria2936 HB User

I'm not really so sure there is a difference between the two; sound sensativity (hyperacusis) and what is called overload. Let me try and summarize what I mean. I read a good online book that really explained sensory overload. I believe it is exactly what everyone of us experiences to some degree. I'll explain both sensory overload (from the author's perspective) from visual effects and sound effects.

The person writing the book explains the process as stores being called "Meijers Effect", meijers meaning a supercenter. He talks about various types of stores all in one like a hardward, grocery, clothes, photo, etc all in one builiding like a Target or Walmart. You get the point, lots of visual and sound stimulation. When people with injuries go in they can't stay too long as there is just too much information to process. When people without an injury go in on a busy day they say it is too much too handle. When an injured person goes in, they feel they can't handle all the noise, they just have to get out. It can happen in nosiy situations or crowded situation too.

He explains what is happening in the brain? Think of a tree with information flowing out to its branches. In the middle of the trunk (brain) is an area where information is sorted and sent to other areas. It is not by coincidence that the areas that process short-term memory and control sleep are in the same neighborhood. The middle areas get squished and are hard to process all the information. Another analogy he uses is getting a drink out of a glass with a straw. You can drink because there is a small amount of fluid traveling at an even rate. Try drinking from a fire hose going full blast; you can't because there is too much moving through the hole too fast. If information is flowing through your brain like water in a pipe, the brain can't handle the flow of information, it gets "Overloaded". With an injury we can't cope with all this information flowing at once too fast. We become irritable and develope headaches, increased dizziness, etc. People with injuries can't filter out one converstaion from the next and become overloaded.

It isn't just sound either. Vision plays a large role in this too. Going into the store into the fluresant lighting or going indoors after being outside on a dreary or sunny day and then coming into the different lighting in a store. Trying to find one item out a selection of 50 can be challenging.

Noise was bad for me in the beginning but has seemed to settle. I seem to have a more difficult time with the visual process.

Last edited by gloria2936; 09-12-2007 at 11:08 AM.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
    Joni9921
    Veteran
    (female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

I had sensitivity to both light and sound at the beginning. Both has gone away. Every one in a while if my symtoms are aggravated I do hae some sound sensitivity again, but its rare.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #7
    parenteau27
    (female)

parenteau27 HB User

I stopped going to events when there were going to be a lot of people talking because after awhile i had no idea what anyone was saying. Everything was to hard to process.
    Gloria's answer just solved the problem of what I had gone through this month. I went to a Art in the Park show with 127 artists booths, was walking on uneven ground and trying to look at all the items when I got to the end I was sick and told my daughters I had to go home. When I got back on solid ground and could stop the motion I felt better.

I also went grocery shopping with my husband at a warehouse type store and I felt ok but when I got into the store and I made it to the back of the store my hands began to shake and I started to feel sick. We just left.

I had a vertigo attack in March and I guess I haven't gotten back to normal.
    Reading that there is a reason for why it happened sure helps to understand what is going on. Thanks

Old 09-12-2007, 12:33 PM   #8
    watcar
    (female)

watcar HB User

It's surely comforting to know others experience the same thing. Next question; Does anyone have a known cure as I've dealt with it now for over 2 years. Each day I awaken I trust it will have improved, but it never does. Earplugs are the only slight remedy.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
    Joni9921
    Veteran
    (female)

I think that the best way is to slowly expose your system to the things that cause problems. But to stimulate one system at a time, then combine the sensory systems as you have adapted. I work in a VERY sensory stimulating environment and capacity and I know that the continued exposure has helped a great deal in desensitizing me, but its not easy!
    Joni

Old 09-13-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
    watcar
    (female)

watcar HB User

Gloria, if you get this message (don't know how to send it any other way), may I ask how long you have had your own symptoms, particularly the visual?
    Many thanks.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:17 PM   #11
    gloria2936
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gloria2936 HB User

Hi Watcar,

My story is a little complicated as I thought it was all inner ear related the first 2 years I was ill, but finally a good neurologist, lots of tests and MRI's confirmed it was actually a result of a very bad allergic reaction I had to an antibiotic back in Dec. 2004. I had an ear infection within 2 weeks of the allergic reaction. I had a bulgding ear drum and had to have it drained. I was diagnosed as actually having an injury to my brain. I still wonder though if I have a little inner ear damage from the ear infection or virus I had in addition to the trauma I incurred from the allergic reaction. I probably will never know and don't really care as long as I feel better one day soon.

I am nearing 3 years but have had improvement along the way. I was given a prognosis of 2 - 5 years so I am half way there. The mean recovery time for labs/VN is estimated to be 2 years.

Hope that answered your question.

Do you have labs/VN?

Take care,
    Gloria

Old 09-14-2007, 02:18 PM   #12
    gloria2936
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gloria2936 HB User

Oh, one last thing. Everything I have read and with my own experience of improvement, sound sensitivity does eventually resolve for the most part.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:55 PM   #13
    watcar
    (female)

watcar HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloria2936 View Post
    Hi Watcar,

My story is a little complicated as I thought it was all inner ear related the first 2 years I was ill, but finally a good neurologist, lots of tests and MRI's confirmed it was actually a result of a very bad allergic reaction I had to an antibiotic back in Dec. 2004. I had an ear infection within 2 weeks of the allergic reaction. I had a bulgding ear drum and had to have it drained. I was diagnosed as actually having an injury to my brain. I still wonder though if I have a little inner ear damage from the ear infection or virus I had in addition to the trauma I incurred from the allergic reaction. I probably will never know and don't really care as long as I feel better one day soon.

I am nearing 3 years but have had improvement along the way. I was given a prognosis of 2 - 5 years so I am half way there. The mean recovery time for labs/VN is estimated to be 2 years.

Hope that answered your question.

Do you have labs/VN?

Take care,
    Gloria

Old 09-17-2007, 09:09 PM   #14
    watcar
    (female)

watcar HB User

Woops I think I did something wrong here.........dulicated your message, anyway, Gloria, pardon my ignorance, but what are meaning by labs/VN? Here is NZ I think our system may be a little different. I know I also spoke with someone who said generally it takes around 3 - 4 years for things to come right. Thanks for your encouragement anyway.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:38 AM   #15
    Joni9921
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by watcar View Post
    Woops I think I did something wrong here.........dulicated your message, anyway, Gloria, pardon my ignorance, but what are meaning by labs/VN? Here is NZ I think our system may be a little different. I know I also spoke with someone who said generally it takes around 3 - 4 years for things to come right. Thanks for your encouragement anyway.
    Hi there. Labs= labrynthitis. This is a virus that affects the vestibular nerve as well as hearing. VN= vestibular neuritis. This only affects the vestibular nerve, so hearing is not affected. They are often used interchanibly to mean a virus caused the problem. Hope that helps!

Joni

Closed Thread