It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Help me get well guys plz! I drink too much -I can only imagine-

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2007, 01:47 AM   #1
    StarWars1985
    (male)

StarWars1985 HB User
    Help me get well guys plz! I drink too much -I can only imagine-

I've had dizzy problems since i turned 17 on and off, i have BPPV in my right ear, fine now with epley's but i still have nerve/hair cell damage from a virus i got a year ago. i get the rocking/swaying/pulsion (magnet) crap 24/7 all day on and off and severity fluctuates (worse @ night)

I drink hard alcohol ( a lot at night) around 4-5 nights a week. It really supresses the inner ear and helps keep me almost symptom free when I'm drunk. I see a great neuro but i'm afraid to tell him about my drinking. He constantly gives me VRT excercise such as running on a tread mill and staring at a girls eyes in a magazine less than a metre away. Helps re-train the brain i guess. I'm ******/confused/lazy/sad/the whole nine yards at this point. I'm almost 23 years old and have thought about ending it. He recently put me on Lexapro like 3 days ago and I have been taking it. How do i quit drinking and will this ever go away if I'm willing to do the VRT 3-4 times a week. I just want my life back man....and that's how real life can be!

Really sad

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2007, 03:12 AM   #2
    Wowwwweeee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Wowwwweeee HB User
    Smile Re: Help me get well guys plz! I drink too much -I can only imagine-

Good Morning Star, and board,

Star, you are very smart to realize that you need to talk to someone about your drinking.

Alcohol is a way to "self-medicate" for many people trying to cope with problems.

For people who deal with imbalance issues (like us), sometimes alcohol can either make your symptoms feels better, or worse. In my case, I can no longer drink alcohol because it causes my head symptoms to increase.

You are young, and I realize it's hard to be having the "time of your life" right now since you are dealing not only with "head symptoms" but with an addiction.

There are other medications that can be prescribed in order to have your head symptoms decrease - in order to try them out, you would have to stop drinking. I think you know this. You probably would find something more helpful for your head than alcohol.

With these kinds of head symptoms can come other things to deal with - depression, anxiety, being limited, lying about your condition to cover it up...we all have been there on some level.

Definitely make an appointment so you can talk to your doctor about how your symptoms are affecting you, and that you are self-medicating with alcohol to help you cope. Together you and your doctor can come up with a new plan to help you deal with your symptoms. This may mean medication, vestibular rehab, and/or counseling.

Certainly you should speak to your doctor about how you are mentally feeling as well. To be thinking about "ending it" is justified - feeling so awful all the time makes you feel that you have no quality of life or that there isn't a light at the end of the tunnel - again, on some level, most of us have felt that way. You definitely have other options besides suicide - you just have to try them out.

You have NOTHING to lose, and much to benefit from if you reach out to help yourself in a healthier way. So please call your doctor today - ask to speak to your doctor's nurse or assistant to explain what is going on and how you are feeling.

PS - You can always go on-line to search for a local AA group. They are FREE, and people from all ages attend them. It's a great way to receive support from people who also have had issues with drinking too much. Just try it out.

Big hug, and I'll be thinking of you. xo

Old 11-28-2007, 03:24 AM   #3
    sheky
    (female)

sheky HB User
    Re: Help me get well guys plz! I drink too much -I can only imagine-

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StarWars1985 View Post
    I've had dizzy problems since i turned 17 on and off, i have BPPV in my right ear, fine now with epley's but i still have nerve/hair cell damage from a virus i got a year ago. i get the rocking/swaying/pulsion (magnet) crap 24/7 all day on and off and severity fluctuates (worse @ night)

I drink hard alcohol ( a lot at night) around 4-5 nights a week. It really supresses the inner ear and helps keep me almost symptom free when I'm drunk. I see a great neuro but i'm afraid to tell him about my drinking. He constantly gives me VRT excercise such as running on a tread mill and staring at a girls eyes in a magazine less than a metre away. Helps re-train the brain i guess. I'm ******/confused/lazy/sad/the whole nine yards at this point. I'm almost 23 years old and have thought about ending it. He recently put me on Lexapro like 3 days ago and I have been taking it. How do i quit drinking and will this ever go away if I'm willing to do the VRT 3-4 times a week. I just want my life back man....and that's how real life can be!

Really sad
    hi how are you just a short note to let you know that your not alone my brother is 24 and he drinks alcohol every day that he can which is nearly everyday he don't have a job and he is on cent relink benefits he has 3 kids that live with there mother and he has been in rehab twice and has always started to drink again and he uses the littlest excuse to start drinking he starts at 9 in the morning most mornings and don't stop until he wipes himself out to a point that he sometimes blacks out i have spoken to him and asked him to get help but he thinks he don't have a problems at least you can admit it and i admire you for being so brave and i just wanted to tell you that your stronger than you think as you have taken the first step good luck and look after yourself. I wish my brother would see that he has a problem and realise it. like you did. thinking of you be strong..

Last edited by sheky; 11-28-2007 at 03:27 AM.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:23 AM   #4
    Jaxzilla
    Veteran
    (female)

Jaxzilla HB User

Starwars, drinking is very very bad for your inner ear. Thats probably why you feel the way you do. It will hinder your recovery. I would stop DRINKING immediately and do VRTs twice a day everyday. Remember that it takes awhile to see progress when doing VRTS. Mine took months, and it was slow. But full recovery is def possible with VRTS and nothing else hindering the process like DRINKING.

Stop drinking and dont give up hope!

Cathy

Old 11-28-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
    sipa
    Veteran
    (female)

sipa HB User

As much experience as I have with alcoholism, I'm not sure what to say to reach you.

First, I agree with Cathy. While the alcohol may make you feel better in the short term, it's hindering your progress long term. The longer you keep drinking, the longer this will go on. I hope that alone will make you stop. Your goal is to get rid of the vestibular problem, that means: stop drinking, do your VRTs every day 2-3 times a day. You WILL see improvement, probably in as little as a few weeks. Maybe not 100%, but it will be better than it is now.

The other option is to keep drinking. Once you become a full blown alcoholic, there's very little that'll make you stop. Hitting absolute rock bottom might do it; losing everything you have, people, possessions, your health (you think you have problems now!), your job. I've seen it happen a few times. It's a very, very ugly picture. You don't want to be the person found on the bottom of the stairs with a blue face choking on your own vomit and only surviving because someone came just in time to call the ambulance; or the person who fell and broke your hip, unable to reach the telephone to call for help, spending 3 days lying in your own excrements discovered accidentally by maintenance workers. Alcoholism isn't pretty.

You're not there yet and I hope so very much you won't ever get there. It breaks my heart when I see people addicted to alcohol. There's so little we can do to help, it's something YOU need to WANT to do. You can turn things around. You're not drinking every day, starting in the morning being wasted by 11 am and spending the rest of the day in a stupor. You've already taken the first step: you've admitted that you have a problem. That little thing alone puts you WAY ahead of most people with an alcohol problem.

Talk to your neurologist about the depression (suicidal feelings). It's very treatable if recognized. There's nothing to be ashamed of. It's a physical problem.

Then talk to him about the drinking. I know it's hard but you've taken the first step. You've admitted it to yourself and all of us. Don't be afraid to tell him. It's not uncommon. It's an illness. You would tell your doctor if you had the flu too, right?

All of us here care about you and your wellbeing. I'm sure your family and friends do too. We all know what it's like to feel like hell for so long, how frustrating it is to not be able to do all the things everyone else can do. But you know, it gets better. Yes, it may take a while but if you're diligent with the VRTs, it WILL get better. There's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
    Subs30
    Inactive
    (male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
    Talking Re: Help me get well guys plz! I drink too much -I can only imagine-

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StarWars1985 View Post

Really sad
    Hi

..."It really supresses the inner ear...."

Nope---alcohol is a cerebellar toxin---causes positional alcohol nystagmus & is accompanied by ataxia, poor pursuit and gaze evoked nystagmus---it suppresses ur "Brain"

...."I see a great neuro..."

If he is a good as u think---prob knows already---if not tell him.

...." recently put me on Lexapro"....

U need to review the "side effects" of Lexapro---taking a "Cerebellar Toxin" with that drug definitely fits..." ******/confused/lazy/sad/the whole nine yards"....

1......"will this ever go away"....

2......"How do i quit drinking"...

One is not likely to happen until u accomplish two!

----then for most it does!

---talk to ur "Neuro...." get some help---it can all be done---but u must feel that ur investment of time and effort in ur self is worth it

---at 23(or almost)---statistically u have a long life ahead---true---u could have had a better hand---but that's what u were dealt---the outcome--- will be whatever u decide to make it...

While it is true that how u start is important (very important)...how u end is the most important---many start well---fewer end well---that's the prize!

Good Luck!

Last edited by Subs30; 11-28-2007 at 12:58 PM.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:16 PM   #7
    charlotte67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

charlotte67 HB User

I totally agree with Jax and Subs...

but that's what u were dealt---the outcome--- will be whatever u decide to make it...

GREAT LINE. No one here wants this illness. Doesn't matter when it comes...

Get off the booze, get going on the exercises...and like Subs said to me...which was a great kick in the pants...get mad, don't get sad...get moving.

Wishing you the very best.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:32 PM   #8
    tummy2
    Veteran
    (male)

tummy2 HB User

StarWars...

Are you drinking because you hate feeling dizzy or are you drinking just because you have to drink...

I am in agreement with everyone here... Stop the drinking and you should see some improvement over time... But you really just have to stay away from it... I think everyone here at some point has thought about ending it... I have many times.. Its a very rough illness, and it takes its toll on you mentally and physically.

I think Lexapro is a great drug... but it takes about 3-6 weeks to work... So stick with it.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
    alexiwildchild
    Veteran
    (female)

alexiwildchild HB User

I feel where you are coming from, maybe not with the alcohol, but with the hopeless feeilngs with this stuff. i have had many rough days/weeks/months with this and have been so very mentally disturbed with all this and an emotional basketcase. some days are better than others. i especially feel you about the age thing, not that it matters when you get this, cuz it sucks no matter what age. i am 26 and feel like this is robbing my life of what it used to be and have been so depressed and suicidal, especially at the beginning of this.....my point being...YOU ARE NOT ALONE! have i thought things i shouldn't...yes, but going through with anything like that is a whole 'nother story. i agree with them about making the best of things. when i felt really horrible a few months back...there was nothing that could make this better...but honestly, i am so glad that i am here and surviving, as should you things will get better...but i also agree that the alcohol is hindering your progress. alcohol is also a depressant, so i am sure it isn't helping with any of the hopeless, depressing feelings you may be having. be strong for yourself and you will pull through this thing!! FIGHT for it!!! it may suck really badly, but fighting is the only way!! tell your doctor, he needs the whole story to truly help you out. hang in there, we're here for you!!! this is just a bump in the long road you have ahead of you
    let the force be with you

Closed Thread