It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

Help diagnose me. New member

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2007, 06:25 AM   #1
8monthslater
(female)

8monthslater HB User
Help diagnose me. New member

Hi, I am 39 and have a 4 year old and a 1 year old. In between the births of my children I was pregnant and lost a baby to Trisomy 13 when I was 5 months pregnant. I never had suffered from anxiety before so when a couple of months later when my heart started pounding out of my chest, I just knew I was having a heart attack. I had a full cardio workup and the docs told me that i was having panic attacks and prescribed me Lexapro and Klonopin. Stupid me, I took the pills as prescribed and began to feel better. 4 months later I got pregnant and stopped taking the drugs cold turkey. I had a few problems but nothing to the extreme. Fast forward. I had a healthy baby girl last Nov. I immediately went into a full blown post partum anxiety mode. I think I was so afraid that maybe she would not be healthy from my past experience. I ended up in the er 9 days after she was born. I started taking Lexapro again and took it for 4 months. I forgot to add that the first time I took Lexapro I got high pitched tinnitus in both ears that never went away. The 2nd time i took it i felt as if i was getting muscle twitches and a wierd low pitched humming sound only in my left ear. I quit the med cold turkey after 4 months. Here it is 8 months later and these are my symptoms:
Humming and pain in left ear
bouncy blurry vision with shimmering flashing lights (things shake back and forth)
a burnt tongue sensation constantly
rebound anxiety
occasional feeling like i have a motor on inside my body (esp when resting)

I guess i am wondering if it is at all possible that these particular problems could still be withdrawals from the drug or something else. I wonder if the Lexapro could have caused some inner ear damage.

2 weeks ago I had tubes placed in both ears due to "Eustation tube dysfunction". Both eardrums were retracted and had negative pressure. It is really only the left one that gives me so much trouble.

I have had an MRI of brain, CT scan of brain, balance tests, visual evoked response test, .... and the list goes on. Every doc keeps telling me I am normal, BUT I am not. For 39 years i did not have these symptoms. They are not normal for me. Please help me. I am almost at the end of my rope. The humming and pain in ear and visual stuff is driving me crazy. I just want to feel good again. Any advice suggestions and responses will be greatly appreciated!!Thank you for reading my book.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
8monthslater
(female)

8monthslater HB User
Re: Help diagnose me. New member

I need to add that I feel intense itching and pain deep inside the left ear. It even hurts around my ear on my skull sometimes. Right now I have a bad cold and my symptoms seem worse. I have been to 2 ENT's, a neurologist, a pyschiatrist, my OB a TMJ dentist who fitted me with an NTI and a nightguard (although I don't think I have TMJ). Pretty much every doctor throws their hands up and says I need an antidepressant. I really believe the antidepressant is what caused my ear problems to begin with. The only doctor that helped me at all was the ENT that said I have Eustation tube dysfunction.

Even the psychiatrist said that the vision problems were caused by anxiety. I just somehow can't believe it, esp since I don't really feel all that anxious. I am just sick of being sick.

One more thing, I always have a low grade temp, about 99.7 and it is always higher in my left ear with the ear thermometer.

Someone please respond if you have any idea where I should start looking for help. I live in a small town and will travel to find a good doctor if I need to. Thanks.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
sipa
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

Wow. First of all, welcome! Glad you found this board but sorry you have a reason to be here.

I'm not going to be able to offer much help for you but...

Quote:
bouncy blurry vision with shimmering flashing lights (things shake back and forth)
Do you have headaches at all? Sensitive to lights/sounds? Are you experiencing any dizziness, imbalance?

Quote:
I always have a low grade temp, about 99.7
Are you doctors aware of this, and if so, do they have an explanation for it? Have you had blood tests to see if there's an inflammation present?

Quote:
I wonder if the Lexapro could have caused some inner ear damage.
I haven't heard of it, but that doesn't mean anything. Have you searched around the web to see if there might be a connection?

Last edited by sipa; 12-19-2007 at 01:22 PM.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
8monthslater
(female)

8monthslater HB User

Would a CBC blood test show inflammation? I recently had one and all looked normal.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
sipa
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

There is a value that shows whether there's inflammation present. Can't think of it off the top of my head. I'll check later, don't have much time now. Sorry.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
8monthslater
(female)

8monthslater HB User

Thank you Sipa. Is there anyone that can relate to some of my symptoms? I am becoming pretty distressed by this.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
sipa
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

Ok found it:

Quote:
Alternative Names
CRP; High-sensitivity C-reactive protein; hs-CRP

Definition

C-reactive protein is a test that measures the amount of a protein in the blood that signals acute inflammation.

Check your blood test results and see if those are normal. It's usually part of a standard test.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #8
alexiwildchild
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8monthslater View Post
Thank you Sipa. Is there anyone that can relate to some of my symptoms? I am becoming pretty distressed by this.
well...i can relate to the vision stuff. i have 24/7 jumpy, shaky, bouncy vision and some imbalance. i am going on 7 months with this crap. i have also had about every test and different diagnosis' from different doctors. i am now being treated as MAV and am taking a migraine preventative med in hopes that it will kill the problem. i am wondering if i didn't mess something up with my nerves....i had an allergic reaction to some cephalosporin antibiotic--it's in the penicillin family, so i've been told--and it was given to me by a doc thinking i had an middle ear infection at the beginning of this. let's just say after having to go to the ER a few times---and being pumped full of stuff--i haven't been the same since. i don't know if my vision stuff is somehow related to all that, but whatever it is, it sucks. however, at first it was more like a slow swirling vision--or that objects would come out toward me. now it is like they shake back and forth--side to side quickly. as far as shimmering lights...only when i have a migraine with aura--which i've only had twice in my life--once during all this.

don't know if that helps at all....but i feel your distress! hang in there, surely our brain will eventually get it all sorted out...

Closed Thread