It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

Setback Experience

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
tummy2
Veteran
(male)

tummy2 HB User
Setback Experience

I wanted to get an idea of everyones experience with Setbacks and what caused them. If you are like me, you keep a journal of every little thing on how you feel. Maybe this info would help others, but right now I am in the middle of one setback that doesnt want to give up. Here is a list of What has caused mysetbacks and how long they lasted before I felt better.

1) Cold: duration 8 Weeks
2) Alcohol (Great weekend in Vegas) duration 3 Weeks
3) Contact lenses: Duration 1 week
4) stomach Bug (vomitting etc.) duration 6 weeks
5) Cold w/fever Duration 12 Weeks
6) Cold/ Ear infection 4 weeks
7) Cold/Fever (So far 8 Weeks)

I am really trying to get out of this current one.. Although I said it has lasted 8 weeks, I did contract a stomach bug again during this 2 weeks ago, so that may extend this one... Jeeez!!

Tummy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
tummy2
Veteran
(male)

tummy2 HB User
Re: Setback Experience

Bump -- Really not understanding why noone is responding.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
Joni9921
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

I think setbacks relate to what's causing the problem. When I didn't have handle on my problem and wasn't actively recovering I had setbacks from any illness (cold, etc), any lack of sleep, and from doing too much (did too much on a weekend trip to nyc once). Once I got a handle on things and started actively recovering (had figured out the pieces of the puzzle and was addressing each of them) I stopped having setbacks, my progress became more consistent, and once I felt better I stopped having any setbacks or blips.
Joni

Old 01-19-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
stargrave
Senior Veteran
(male)

stargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB User

Hi Tummy

It seems that, much like me, you're friend with the colds, and they sure give all kind of setbacks.

As you answered my last post, where from a cold I began to fell dizzy while lying over my right ear,something not common in me, as I suffered this when lying over my left ear.

Butnlike how measured your setbacks mine feel much like this(it's kind of an elaborated analogy):

Imagine a sound graph where a flat-line(no sound) is no dizziness, that's where I want to e, clear mind, light feet, no dizzies, no visual stuff, etc.

Imagine again that most of the time I'm between 2-3(on a scale of 10) where this means that I feel a little bit off, foggy, uneasy.

Now imagine that this graph(the "sound-wave") has peaks, as most of them do, this peaks are my symptoms, dizzy spells, visual stuff, unsteadiness, etc.

Well, a setback, makes both the graph to get closer to ten where I feel ill most of the time and all the peaks rise, sometimes this can take days, or weeks, can't measure it exactly tough, because every time feels different, and this unpredictable behavior for me, and I think for the doctors, it's one of the reasons why is so hard to pinpoint a precise cause and effect process to find a cure or at least some prevention stuff.

And, finally, totally related to this, now even in the middle of the cold, weeping like a widow, with a runny nose, without doing anything special, I compensated pretty well, and have three practically normal days, aside from the cold woes, something I didn't feel in a long time.

Because one thing is that I've got used to be(back to the graph) at level 2-3, but this feels closer to zero, so, it's really hard to tell how the setback/recovery process really works.

Closed Thread