It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

type of vrt..joni??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2008, 01:51 AM   #1
comeandrelax
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User
type of vrt..joni??

what kinds of VRT are used to get rid of the floor moving feeling? like when your just standing still and the floor feels like its moving back and forth under you?

i figure any kind where you just test the feeling in order to get your brain to get the signals right. i tried just closing my eyes and rocking back and forth from one leg to the other for one min and i can still feel myself rocking back and forth.

any suggestions? joni i hear you got back to 100% what did you do for that feeling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Joni9921
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User
Re: type of vrt..joni??

I think what got rid of the "world constantly moving" feeling was a combination of a couple of things. I think the gaze stabilization exercises made a huge difference once I strengthened my eyes and got them working together. Unfortunately I wasted a lot of time doing VRTs when my eyes weren't working together at all.

The other thing was general exercise. Things like yoga, walking, and running, also weight lifting. I would tell myself "I feel grounded" and eventually I did. I felt grounded and stable. The exercise really helps maximizing your propriocepion, and maybe teaching the vestib system to work together again with the other systems? With the yoga I really worked on my alignment and controling each posture, really knowing where I was in space and where I should be. I think these things helped more than the eyes closed exercises. I actually just stood heel toe with eyes closed to see if I could do it, because when I was still doing the VRTs I never got good at that, and now I can do it easily. But it wasn't from practicing it.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
comeandrelax
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User

cool thank you so much! im going to start up the visual ones again. i figure i will do the combo. MAV meds and Vrt.

the visual ones knock me on my *** at 1st

Old 01-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
dizzysally
Inactive
(female)

dizzysally HB User

I have tried the vrts and it seems that i get more dizzy with my eyes open and it is suppose to be the opposite, eyes closed but with my visual problems it seems that when I do the exercises with my eyes open I just can't handle it. Is that strange?

Old 01-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
Joni9921
Veteran
(female)

You'll definitely get more dizzy with your eyes open. The point of the eyes closed exercises are to get your proprio system active for balance. So that's perfectly normal!

Old 01-25-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
dizzysally
Inactive
(female)

dizzysally HB User

Ok made sense to me but the PT said it should be the other way around so I was like hmmm??? lol oh boy

Old 01-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
comeandrelax
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User

what kind of VRTs are used when people become too dependant on their vision???

are they the ones where you stare at a busniess card and move your head side to side up and down?

Old 01-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
comeandrelax
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User

joni also how long did it take you to do the excersises each day?

1 or 2 mins each one (head moving focus on object....up and down, left to right and then in opposite directions)

Old 01-26-2008, 04:53 AM   #9
dollydd
(female)

dollydd HB User

About last September I started doing balance work, as well as all the gaze stability and oculo reflex stuff and maybe it is just a coincidence but now I can say that the ground has stopped moving, it really looks and feels stable when I walk, and I can now come to a stop and stand still without swaying.

I do a minute of heel to toe walking looking straight ahead and then repeat looking up and and down and side to side. Then I stand on one foot, with eyes open then closed. Then I stand still on both feet, turn my head side to side and then up and down, eyes open and then closed. I started with feet slightly apart, then together, then one in front of the other and now I do the whole lot standing on a cushion. I also run every day and do circuits 3 x weekly but these balance exercises do seem to have moved me to another level.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
Joni9921
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeandrelax View Post
joni also how long did it take you to do the excersises each day?

1 or 2 mins each one (head moving focus on object....up and down, left to right and then in opposite directions)
I spent about 5 minutes twice a day on the exercises. When I started vision therapy that was an additional 5-10 minutes per day.

The eyes closed exercises are good for visual dependance, as it knocks it out. Also walking on uneven surfaces with head turns, day and night. I think also the business card exercise, but with a busy pattern in the background is very helpful.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:49 AM   #11
comeandrelax
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User

my biggest problem now seems to be my eyes. its hard to look into a mirror or do anything thats fast visually. i hope that goes with the vrts

i hear that visuals are the last to go. God i hope thats true

the floor moving seems to be improving already. it only happened really once today around dinner time. my feet actually feel heavy on the ground. like my brain is finally trying to get them on the floor

Old 01-28-2008, 01:06 AM   #12
comeandrelax
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User

hey joni

how long did it take to get the floor moving feeling to go away. im noticing that over the last couple days the floor isn;t moving all day long. just certain times. mainly at night.

my feet feel heavy too if that makes sense. like im being weighed down like my brain is trying to find the groud.

my balance seems fine. i can stand on one foot and move my head side to side and up and down and stay balanced.

how long did it take the floor moving feeling? also if im sitting on the couch and typing too fast i almost feel a mild swaying sometimes. im hoping that goes too

Old 01-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #13
Joni9921
Veteran
(female)

I had a really constant 24/7 world moving thing. The ground stopped moving before my eyes saw things stable. When I started the VRTs up again with the vision tx, it took about 2 months for the ground moving to go away. (I think). Then another 3 months for the world to stop moving visually, although it gradually became more stable throughout that entire time. I always had real slow gradual improvements, never a wake up one day and things were better. Sometimes I would stomp the ground when I walked to really feel where it was.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:31 AM   #14
comeandrelax
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User

im noticing that the ground doesn't move all the time now. i still have my eyes off and things still feel off but it happens in like spurts now or like out of nowhere i feel my head move but just for a second.

im hoping it keeps going away

Old 01-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #15
Joni9921
Veteran
(female)

It sounds like its improving really well though- keep it up!

Closed Thread