It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

formal vrt

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
comeandrelax
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User
formal vrt

is anyone doing formal vrt? i went to a PT for a couple weeks but couldn't afford to keep going. i wanted to know what the diffrence bewteen formal vrt and the sheets that tom keeps talking about.

my vrt consists of alot of balance ones standing on a pillow, eyes open and closed. eye gaze excersises. i started sitting and then standing and then marching in place and now walking down the hallway and doing them. after those i was thrown off for a while. im also walking heel to toe with eyes closed, which is tough and walking down a hallway turning my head from side to side. my girlfriend and i play catch alot which will help with tracking and stuff. when it gets warmer out im going to start running. my main thing i think is to move my head around throughout the day. i spent a long time avoiding situations cause i was afraid to be dizzy.

i was wondering what some examples of formal vrt would be. i know that its diffrent for everyone but i was wondering if its simialar to what im doing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
studyin
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
Re: formal vrt

Just follow this:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=499927[/url]

It was posted by a PT months ago and is all you need apparently although if you have vestibular migraine going on I'm not sure what use it will be.

S

Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
comeandrelax
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User

cool thanks. the migraine thing for me is just a to be safe thing. migraine is huge oin my family. i need to stick with VRT either way. im done sitting around waiting for it to get better

Old 02-06-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
stargrave
Senior Veteran
(male)

stargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB User

The actual difference between being assisted by a PT and doing it alone, is that the PT modifies the exercises, according to what he believes is wrong with you, making VRT more effective. It's a proven fact that the best statistical results in recovery came out from a specialized VRT program, supervised by a PT.

And in my opinion, you should do VRT even with MAV, because even as it might not help you to compensate for it directly, I do believe, as it is in my case, that it helps you to improve your dizziness threshold/recovery, where if you happen to de-compensate, this will lower the overall intensity of the symptoms, and you'll be able to recover quickly from them

Old 02-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
sipa
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

Those are pretty much the VRT exercises I was given. I went to approx. 10 sessions. The only thing she did was evaluate how I was doing with the exercises and, if I did well (they became "easy,") would progress me to the next difficulty level. Sometimes she'd add another exercise.

In my case, I would have had the same results with or without this many sessions. After explaining how the exercises and progression work, I could've done this on my own perfectly well.

Closed Thread