It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

4 week VRT update

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
comeandrelax
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User
4 week VRT update

hey guys. i started up on the VRTs again and its been 4 weeks. im definetly noticing a diffrence with the gaze excersies and balance ones.

thanks for your help joni and charlotte.

joni- how was your recovery with the gaze excersies? was it up and down or was it better and better as time went on??

other than holding a card and moving your head did you do anyother eye ones??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
charlotte67
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User
Re: 4 week VRT update

Hey C&R...question for you...I am on my 1st week 20 mg noritriptyline. I notice things are settling...but still have eye stuff...just less annoying. Wanted to see if this sounded familiar.

My vision still seems to vibrate at times...just less. Also eyes don't seem to fully lock in all the time...that makes that woozy/not right feeling in my head. My doctor said vrt wasn't needed...but I am thinking about trying some gaze exercises...

What is your eye crap like?

Thanks so much.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
Joni9921
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

So glad you're feeling better! Once I had my eyes under control (coordinating both eyes together) the gaze stability exercises got consistently easier and easier. I did variations to the card one: moving your head the opposite direction as the card and doing it with a busy background such as a checkerboard behind it.

I did some visual tracking exercises, as diagnals were hard for me. Tracking as I drew an infinity sign in the air. This is one we do with the kids at work too that I did- drawing an infinity sign on a large piece of paper and visually track it the whole time. Walking with head turns and focussing on different things every time I turned my head.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
comeandrelax
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User

thanks joni

did you move your head back and forth when you drew the infinity sign in the air and on paper? my doc said that i have to keep my head moving in order for these to work

Old 02-23-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
Joni9921
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeandrelax View Post
thanks joni

did you move your head back and forth when you drew the infinity sign in the air and on paper? my doc said that i have to keep my head moving in order for these to work
I kept my eyes steady. You do have to move your head in order to retrain the VOR, but sometimes our eyes get a bit uncoodinated from the system getting screwy so I needed to do both, retrain the VOR and do some visual tracking exercises. I would say, if its easy for you and doesn't increase symptoms, don't waste your time, but otherwise its prob good for you.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:14 AM   #6
comeandrelax
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User

hey guys. still plugging away with the VRTs. my eyes are getting better seems like and the dizziness isn't all day anymore.

i still get dizzy when i move my head from side to side fast. i know that it would probably make a person without an inner ear probelm alittle dizzy but i still would love to get rid of this feeling.

joni did you have a hard time when moving your head from side to side too fast and if so, what did you do to get rid of it.??

thanks for all your help guys

Old 02-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
Joni9921
Veteran
(female)

What's great for you is that whatyou are describing is the exact type of dizziness that responds best to VRT, movement related symptoms.

For me the head turning symptoms got better and better over time. The gaze stability ex's and also my job really helped this. Another good ex for this is walking while tossing a ball and looking at it as it goes up and down.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
Cicero2000
(male)

Cicero2000 HB User

Hi Charlotte!

I read your update post after seeing Dr. Priesol. It sounds like things are going much better for you which is great. I hope your progress continues. Had you ever tried Lexapro? If so, how would you compare it to the new medication? I have been taking a small dose of Lexapro since summer. It has seemed to help but the side effects are becoming unbearable (tired all the time and sexual side effects).

Also, did Dr. Priesol recoimmend the Migraine diet for you?

Glad to hear your are doing well. I hope the eye thing settles out.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:17 AM   #9
charlotte67
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

Cicero...Well I am still going on noritriptyline, I have never tried lexapro. I notice that my fuzzy/woozy head and eye symptoms are lessening. I am on week 2 of 20mgs. They still elevate when I work out or in bright lights...but less.

I think I am really on the right path. Yes, I continue to work the migraine diet. Honestly, it is healthy anyway..and for snacks I make ginger snaps, or angel food cake. I love veggies and meats so that really does well for me anyway.

I had a very busy day yesterday...started working out the beginning of the week...slowly, only 15 mins treadmill and weights. Going to work up to 45 mins jogging...but as Dr. P said...start slowly. I am a bit more elevated this am....but honestly, not as much as I thought would happen. No real side effects from the jump to 20 mgs now. At first I was fatigued and more off...but that settled after @1week.

How are you doing? Did Dr. P every suggest Noritriptyline? What is his plan for you?

All the best!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
Cicero2000
(male)

Cicero2000 HB User

Hi Charlotte!

Take the working out slow and try a little more each day. At first when I tried to do the eliptical I could only go for about 7 minutes before my dizziness and anxiety would kick in. I have worked up to 40 - 50 minutes now and for the most part am successful in completing the workout. I do find that it helps me to stay active on a regular regimine.

Dr. Rauch diagnised me with MAVs and asked me to go onto the Migraine diet from the book "Heal Your Headache". I have been on it for about five weeks and so far it seems to have helped a little. We will see. I eat out a great deal so sometimes it is hard to know what reaturants put in food. After two months of the diet he wants me to call him and depending on how I am doing he may prescribe Nortyrptiline (the medication that Dr. Priesol prescribed for you). He said that it is their first line of deffense against Migraines. If this doesnot work he was talking about prrescribing Topamax. I am currently on Lexapro. It has been a lifesaver for me but I would really like to get off it because of the sedation and sexual side effects.

Please continue to let me know how you are doing Charlotte. I am so happy that you are feeling better.

Closed Thread