It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

help with dizziness

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
LaVanity
(female)

LaVanity HB User
help with dizziness

The end of November I started to get dizzness and an overall not well feeling, I had a very bad cold 1 1/2 weeks prior. I fought it for 2 weeks and then got sicker, I had dizziness, off balance feeling, shakiness, nausea, anxiety, blurred vision, lightheadedness, weakness so I went to the ER, they found nothing wrong so I went to my doctor who prescribed antibiotics in case there was some infection going on (oral and ear antibiotics). They didn't help so I went to the ENT who did a hearing test and said I have high frequency hearing loss and sent me for an MRI w/contrast which was normal, he said it might be labs. i had EKG and blood work done, both normal i was getting better for around 2 weeks and now have dizziness, overall ill feeling, nausea, blurry vision, light headedness, anxiety, and weakness, ears crackle when yawning/burping, ears ring. Does this sound like labs? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by LaVanity; 02-26-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2008, 04:18 AM   #2
dollydd
(female)

dollydd HB User
Re: help with dizziness

Hi
sorry you are feeling so unwell, what you are describing sounds very familiar. Upper respiratory infections and viruses are thought to be one of the factors that can lead to vestibular neuritis or labs. If it either of those then it is an inner ear problem and best handled by a neuro-otologist and not ENT. For the dizzies and balance problems the earlier you start vestibular rehabilitation therapy the better.
good luck

Old 02-27-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
LaVanity
(female)

LaVanity HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollydd View Post
Hi
sorry you are feeling so unwell, what you are describing sounds very familiar. Upper respiratory infections and viruses are thought to be one of the factors that can lead to vestibular neuritis or labs. If it either of those then it is an inner ear problem and best handled by a neuro-otologist and not ENT. For the dizzies and balance problems the earlier you start vestibular rehabilitation therapy the better.
good luck

Thank you for the reply and help. I plan on going to a neurotologist as soon as I feel stable enough to walk. Do you know what kind of tests that kind of doctor will do to confirm labs? Thanx

Old 02-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
missy7777
Veteran
(female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVanity View Post
and now have dizziness, overall ill feeling, nausea, blurry vision, light headedness, anxiety, and weakness, ears crackle when yawning/burping, ears ring. Does this sound like labs?
No, this does not sound like Labyrinthitis, it sounds like MIGRAINE. Your story sounds very similar to mine, and the bottom line diagnosis for me was that I started getting migraines due to perimenopause/hormone fluctuations.

If you happen to be in your 30's/40's/50's - your hormones are probably fluctuating and getting you closer to menopause. That hormone fluctuation causes the migraine, which in turn causes the dizziness, nausea, seasick feeling, unbalanace, anxiety, fatigue, etc.

There are a couple of things you can do. You can look into hormone therapy or the birth control pill to regulate your hormones, or attack it from the migraine standpoint and take migraine medication.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:19 AM   #5
dollydd
(female)

dollydd HB User

Quote:
Thank you for the reply and help. I plan on going to a neurotologist as soon as I feel stable enough to walk. Do you know what kind of tests that kind of doctor will do to confirm labs? Thanx
Whatever is it, vn, labs, bppv, menieres, mav or something else, a neuro-otologist is probably the best place to start for a diagnosis. The tests should include an ENG/rotary chair, caloric, Hamalgyi head thrust, Epley manoeuver etc. If they take a good case history then the possibility of all the above will be considered but one of the big problems with this condition is that symptoms are not always clear indicators of one condition, two sufferers of the same condition can experience differences and quite common is for vn/labs to morph into bppv and mav as time goes on.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:48 AM   #6
LaVanity
(female)

LaVanity HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy7777 View Post
No, this does not sound like Labyrinthitis, it sounds like MIGRAINE. Your story sounds very similar to mine, and the bottom line diagnosis for me was that I started getting migraines due to perimenopause/hormone fluctuations.

If you happen to be in your 30's/40's/50's - your hormones are probably fluctuating and getting you closer to menopause. That hormone fluctuation causes the migraine, which in turn causes the dizziness, nausea, seasick feeling, unbalanace, anxiety, fatigue, etc.

There are a couple of things you can do. You can look into hormone therapy or the birth control pill to regulate your hormones, or attack it from the migraine standpoint and take migraine medication.

I do get headaches but not migraines. I just turned 40 today. would my symptoms be pretty much non stop for 3 months if it is MAV? What symptoms did you have? Thanx

Old 02-28-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
LaVanity
(female)

LaVanity HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollydd View Post
Whatever is it, vn, labs, bppv, menieres, mav or something else, a neuro-otologist is probably the best place to start for a diagnosis. The tests should include an ENG/rotary chair, caloric, Hamalgyi head thrust, Epley manoeuver etc. If they take a good case history then the possibility of all the above will be considered but one of the big problems with this condition is that symptoms are not always clear indicators of one condition, two sufferers of the same condition can experience differences and quite common is for vn/labs to morph into bppv and mav as time goes on.
Thank you for the help.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #8
missy7777
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I do get headaches but not migraines. I just turned 40 today. would my symptoms be pretty much non stop for 3 months if it is MAV? What symptoms did you have? Thanx
Bingo - 40. It is amazing how many women start experiencing the exact same things around this age. I was 39 when mine hit. Sounds like it is exactly what I was saying (about the migraine). By the way, any headache is SOME form of migraine. You don't necessarily have to be vomiting and in excruciating pain for it to be a migraine. It is a low-grade migraine that you have, but nonetheless it is causing all your dizziness, off balanace problems. Yes, it can last for 3 months - it can even last for YEARS. You are basically in constant migraine mode and need to break it.

Try the approach of hormone therapy as a mentioned (bioidentical estradiol gel - Divigel is what I use). You can also try to abort that migraine by using some Midrin or Imitrex. Migraine preventive medication only works about 50% of the time and has pretty severe side effects so I don't usually recommend that.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #9
LaVanity
(female)

LaVanity HB User

Quote:
Bingo - 40. It is amazing how many women start experiencing the exact same things around this age. I was 39 when mine hit. Sounds like it is exactly what I was saying (about the migraine). By the way, any headache is SOME form of migraine. You don't necessarily have to be vomiting and in excruciating pain for it to be a migraine. It is a low-grade migraine that you have, but nonetheless it is causing all your dizziness, off balanace problems. Yes, it can last for 3 months - it can even last for YEARS. You are basically in constant migraine mode and need to break it.

Try the approach of hormone therapy as a mentioned (bioidentical estradiol gel - Divigel is what I use). You can also try to abort that migraine by using some Midrin or Imitrex. Migraine preventive medication only works about 50% of the time and has pretty severe side effects so I don't usually recommend that.

If it was MAV would I have blocked hearing, ears making the crackling soind and buzzing sound in my head? Thanx

Old 02-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #10
missy7777
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
If it was MAV would I have blocked hearing, ears making the crackling soind and buzzing sound in my head? Thanx
Yes. Mine started out with plugged ears (I still have that, but not AS bad). It always POPS when I swallow like I have been up in the mountains and travelling down a steep hill. Every time I swallow it pops. Basically, migraine, and hormonal imbalance can DILATE the blood vessels in and around your head. This swelling is what creates the headaches, or ear fullness, or buzzing, or what have you.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
LaVanity
(female)

LaVanity HB User

Quote:
Yes. Mine started out with plugged ears (I still have that, but not AS bad). It always POPS when I swallow like I have been up in the mountains and travelling down a steep hill. Every time I swallow it pops. Basically, migraine, and hormonal imbalance can DILATE the blood vessels in and around your head. This swelling is what creates the headaches, or ear fullness, or buzzing, or what have you.

What tests would show hormone imbalance or MAV? Thanx for your help.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #12
missy7777
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
What tests would show hormone imbalance or MAV? Thanx for your help.
Your OB/GYN can order a hormone panel for you to see where you are. He or she will want to know the FSH level, estradiol, testosterone, and maybe some thyroid testing. It will probably come back within the normal range, but you can at least see where you are. You can just tell your OB/GYN doc that you are experiencing new migraines and you think it is from hormonal fluctuations. He or she should then prescribe a low does birth control or low dose estradiol gel.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #13
LaVanity
(female)

LaVanity HB User

Quote:
Your OB/GYN can order a hormone panel for you to see where you are. He or she will want to know the FSH level, estradiol, testosterone, and maybe some thyroid testing. It will probably come back within the normal range, but you can at least see where you are. You can just tell your OB/GYN doc that you are experiencing new migraines and you think it is from hormonal fluctuations. He or she should then prescribe a low does birth control or low dose estradiol gel.

Thanx for your help.

Closed Thread