It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

Dehisent Superior Semi Circular Canal repair

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
Momof2sons
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User
Dehisent Superior Semi Circular Canal repair

Hello all,

Has anyone here had this surgery? I had this surgery in June of last year. I had been suffering some progressive balance issues, and went to a major medical facility to be FINALLY diagnosed.
This is a congental defect in the semi circular canal, where during development the bones(canals) dont form to the proper thickness. And as we age the bones get thinner until they finally break, causing fluid to leak out, causing the balance issues.
So at the age of 42 I had this surgery. They did a "Middle fossa craniotomy" making a 3" hole in the skull above the ear, they go in and lift the brain to get to the area they need to, and repair by closing the particular canal off. With me they discovered when they lifted the brain, that most of my skull base was missing, so apparently ment, my brain was "falling" so they created a "sling" in there which I refer to as my "Brain Bra"..lol (I know Im warped!)
You go through MAJOR balance issues post op while your brain is trying to adjust to the "NEW" balance mecanisim!(sp)
Anyway, after repair they used 3 titainum brackets to screw the skull back into place. I did loose all the hearing in that ear because of the surgery, but felt that was a small price to pay to have my balance back. Although it causes major "directional confusion"!
That, as I said was done in June, to this day my skull has NOT FUSED! If I smile or laugh alot, my skull hurts like crazy, and I actualy get some I think "fluid" built up behind my ear. It does disipate after awhile, until I again, laugh or smile alot. When chewing something hard, I can hear it "clicking" which is why I know its NOT stable it moves slightly, causing pain. My vision has also been effected as well. I did have to get a signifcant perscription change with glasses including bi-focals, as well as lost the periphial vision to the nasal side in my right eye. The surgery was on the left side.
"IF" anyone else has had this done....I know its a VERY RARE condition, How LONG did it take for your skull to FUSE?? I'm still sleeping in a recliner at this point because I can't handle any pressure on my skull for obvious reasons.
I have yet to find anyone else who has had this done, so I'm HOPING that MAYBE there is someone here!!

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Take care and GOd bless,
Annette

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread