It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

I'm back with the dizzies after a few years and have some questions

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2008, 12:11 AM   #1
Walty
(male)

Walty HB User
I'm back with the dizzies after a few years and have some questions

Hello all,

I have some questions and would really appreciate any responses to my rambling. I had frequented these boards as Walty10 around August/September of 2004. At that time I was a 17 year old who was going into his senior year of high school.

I came down hard with dizziness and the anxiety that came with it during the begining of that summer and I hit rock bottom... so to speak. The dizziness came about during a time of my life when I was eating extremely poorly and it seemed to (perhaps) have started somewhere around one evening when I saw a laser light show at a planetarium.

Well I had horrible dizziness and vertigo for probably at least 6 months and then it gradually began to get better, but veeeerrryyy sloooooowly. I would say that I was feeling pretty darn close to 100% about a year later around high school graduation.

Throughout my first three years in college the dizziness would come back at times, but in a pretty mild form. It usually went away after a day or two (often even within an hour or so). The anxiety remained (although I learned in some respects to deal with that too) and has left me with what is probably a somewhat serious form of hypochondrism (if thats a word).

Today I am 20 and have come a long way. As I said the dizziness would come back sometimes. It was actually less of a vertigo-movement sensation and more of a sensation that I began to call compensation which felt more like my eyes were just overloaded and couldn't keep up with what I was looking at...almost like a sensory overload for the eyes and a cloud in my head. It happened sometimes when on the computer or watching television and usually getting away would help.

I had all sorts of tests... a CAT scan (which I couldn't finish because of a panic attack, although the doctors said that they have enough visual info and scans to rule out brain tumor and multiple sclerosis... ear tests (normal)... blood tests (normal). I went to many different doctors and never got any specific answer. For awhile one doctor had me doing the excercise where you look at a piece of paper with writing on it from varying distances and shake your head back and forth as you concentrate on the words. I don't know how well it worked. It seemed like the dizziness just naturally subsided.

Well... the dizziness has come back for the longest and probably strongest that its been since this mess all started 3 1/2 - 4 years ago. I got mono about 6 weeks ago and it brought about a general dizziness that I thought was just due to the sickness. Eventually a few weeks later I felt somewhat normal, but then began to feel pretty nauseous and dizzy about a week-week and a half ago. At first I thought that I was either very sick with something horrible (hypochondriac) or my body was just having a very long, hard time fighting off the mono.
The more I think about it, however, I am starting to wonder if most of what I am experiecing at this point is not simply my old friend, the dizzies.

I remember reading on this board that many people who had gotten 95-100% better had a relapse back to dizziness... especially after a sickness of some kind. During the past few days I have felt a physical vertigo, but now the dizziness seems to be moving more toward the 'visually overwhelming' sensation. My dizziness is not nearly as bad as it was when it first happened, but it is back to some extent.

I guess my questions are whether this has happened to anyone else? Can mono or viral infection trigger the dizzies to come back? Does it take as long to get back to normal this second time around?

I also have to admit that it worries me that there is something more serious wrong with me... though I try and tell myself that you wouldn't expect a serious problem to have evaded my doctor's tests from 4 years ago or to have greatly improved to 99-100% most of the past 4 years. Any ideas of what it could be? I never got any clarification from my doctors as to an actual cause.

I'm sorry that this post is so long and I GREATLY appreciate anyone who responds to this thread and has read even only part of it. I am just so confused, frusterated, and a bit scared with this whole thing again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2008, 07:16 AM   #2
charlotte67
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User
Re: I'm back with the dizzies after a few years and have some questions

I've read that most recurring dizzys are due to migraines. Do you have migraines in your family?

Old 03-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
kaylie444
(female)

kaylie444 HB User

Walty,
I am the same age as you and all of this happened to me about the same time as you also...like the beginning of 2005 so a little later...I was fine the first few years of college as well but this year, my senior year...It is back...you can read my post a few below to hear my whole story. Anyways, I went back to the nuero-oto (you may have the same type of doctor, lots of us do) and he suggests that it could very well be MAV migraine associated vertigo. It is VERY common for people our age and MAV has very strange patterns, might be something you can look into. Sorry to hear about it coming back...it really is horrible I know how you feel! I am leaving for spring break today so I wont be on for a while but please keep me updated!

Old 03-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
Walty
(male)

Walty HB User

Thanks for your replies guys.... as a child I had horrible migraine headaches for years so perhaps it could be migraine associated. They tested me with MRIs and CT scans when I was very young as well to find any cause of the headaches and they couldn't find anything. They told me that they were most likely just migraine headaches. I just sort of outgrew them eventually.

Does MAV cause 24/7 dizziness and vertigo that can last for months or even years? Does it have to be associated with headaches because the only types of headaches I really get anymore are sinus headaches (which I suppose could also be associated with the dizzies).

Old 03-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
charlotte67
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

Walty...yep. I was diagnosed 2 months ago after having constant dizzys and other symptoms for 15 months. Again, any migraine sinus or not can be a history of migraines...

I would check it out.

Closed Thread