It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

A Story to Increase Hope

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
gloria2936
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User
Smile A Story to Increase Hope

Hello. I just thought I'd pop in here to share a positive story I heard yesterday. I joined back up at the healthclub back in January (have been doing great working out again). I was a member for years prior to my illness and got to know a lot of the women there including the owner. I hadn't seen the owner for 3 years and she never knew why I quit the club when I got ill. She found out about my situation from another women in the club. Well she was in yesterday and came up to me and said "Gloria, how are you? I have never met anyone like you." My first thought was here we go, another person who thinks my story is nuts. It turns out she suffered from this junk 20 years ago. She is 50 now. When she was 30 she came down with a virus. She woke up nausous and vomiting. She became dizzy and eventually wheel chair bound. She couldn't even feed herself as her balance was so off she couldn't bring the fork to her mouth.

She said it was a very slow recovery process and did not really feel well until the 5 year mark (my neurologist told me 2 - 5 years in my case). She said she did have occasional dizzy spells after that but they became less and less and by the time she hit the 10 year mark, she was 100% fine.

She never had a clear diagnosis other than a virus caused some central damage to her brain stem.

The short of the story is she is 100% fine. She works (owns a health club), she is active and lives life normally.

She said she never knew anyone else like her until me. She wants me to meet her husband. She also said the only way she got better was to push herself.

I love these kinds of stories and wanted to share it with all of you.

Best,
Gloria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
stargrave
Senior Veteran
(male)

stargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB User
Re: A Story to Increase Hope

Great story Gloria, both hers and yours, even as you're still not at a 100%, your progress is also a matter of hope, much like this lady's story.

Thanks.

Last edited by stargrave; 03-06-2008 at 08:09 AM.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Jaxzilla
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User

Gloria, that is the best story ever!

And sounds like you are doing great! Working out is a huge step in recovery!!! Awesome!

Cathy

Old 03-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Lauren29
(female)

Lauren29 HB User

I love love love stories like this too! Thank you for sharing Gloria. I have been wondering how you are doing and just assumed that you were feeling better as to why you hadn't posted in a while. So glad to hear that you are doing better and working out...that will always help improve your spirits!

Old 03-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
charlotte67
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

Gloria, like usual you inspire me. Thanaks for taking the time to post this.

You are the best.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:06 AM   #6
sheriff56
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User

Thanks for sharing that Gloria, we need more stories of hope. Glad you are getting out to the gym that mens you must be feeling good again.

I've not been around much, living a life again. . . .YIPPEE!! I do pop in and see lost of new faces and notice some of the "old" faces are not around as much as well, I presume this means we must all be on the escalator to feeling better again.

I think there is hope but you have to give it time, not weeks, not months, but maybe a few years, sorry folks, buts thats the way it seems.

Take care

Jayne
xxxxx

Closed Thread