It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

do you get dizzy from eye exercises?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
comeandrelax
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User
do you get dizzy from eye exercises?

hey i have a qustion. does anyone get dizzy with the eye excersises? i don't really get dizzy from them but my eyes do get really blurry after wards.

did you get dizzy while doing them??

Last edited by moderator2; 03-11-2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: please do not post to specific members by name - just write a relevant title - topics are open to all members

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
Joni9921
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User
Re: do you get dizzy from eye exercises?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeandrelax View Post
hey i have a qustion. does anyone get dizzy with the eye excersises? i don't really get dizzy from them but my eyes do get really blurry after wards.

joni did you get dizzy while doing them??
I did get dizzy with them. You may want to do increase the level of difficulty of the exercises. For example, when you do the business card exericise turning your head, put a busy pattern, behind it. The blurriness is also a common response though.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-11-2008 at 04:02 PM.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
comeandrelax
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User

hey joni. well im doing the ones with the checkerboard and im moving my head all around and making them hard but i don't really seem to get dizzy. maybe alittle off balance afterward. my eyes do get really blurry though. hmm maybe my eyes are better off that i thought.

the floor moving stuff and dizzieness with movemnt is getting better. i think you siad it too you 2 months for the floor moving swayig feeling to go away and thats exactly the same for me.

can you describe what your dizziness was like from the eye ones?

Old 03-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Joni9921
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeandrelax View Post
hey joni. well im doing the ones with the checkerboard and im moving my head all around and making them hard but i don't really seem to get dizzy. maybe alittle off balance afterward. my eyes do get really blurry though. hmm maybe my eyes are better off that i thought.

the floor moving stuff and dizzieness with movemnt is getting better. i think you siad it too you 2 months for the floor moving swayig feeling to go away and thats exactly the same for me.

can you describe what your dizziness was like from the eye ones?
Sounds like you're really progressing well! It was my constant dizziness that would basically worsen (speed up?) and then calm back down again. It wasn't a spinning dizziness, just a perception that the world was moving.

Have you been exercising? I found going back to working out gave me lots of new ways to challenge my system when I began mastering the gaze stab exercises.

Joni

Old 03-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
herofix
(male)

herofix HB User

Hi Joni. What are these "gaze stab" exercises you mentioned? Are they done while doing other physical exercise? I have been doing the "treadmill reading" exercises for over two months now and aside from a short time when I felt better I am still about the same (tired eyes, off balance feeling, no vertigo). I'd like to kick up my exercises a notch and see if that helps. On a related note, do you also do standard VRT's in addition to working out?

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by moderator2; 03-11-2008 at 04:03 PM.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:50 AM   #6
charlotte67
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

Yep, I get an increase of that "dizzy head feeling"...then it calms...make sense?

Old 03-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
Joni9921
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herofix View Post
Hi Joni. What are these "gaze stab" exercises you mentioned? Are they done while doing other physical exercise? I have been doing the "treadmill reading" exercises for over two months now and aside from a short time when I felt better I am still about the same (tired eyes, off balance feeling, no vertigo). I'd like to kick up my exercises a notch and see if that helps. On a related note, do you also do standard VRT's in addition to working out?

Thanks,
Dan
Hi Dan. The gaze stabilization exercises are the ones where you look at a letter and keep focus while turning your head. There are then variations of it to progress with. It retrains the VOR and has the most evidence of its efficacy for VRT. I initially did standard VRTs and then worked out in ways that didn't stimulate my vestibular system too much- this helped my energy and emotions, but let me keep my symptoms in check. As I began to recover I added exercises that was more challenging to my vestib system, such as power yoga, running, treadmill, hiking. At the same time I progressed with the VRTs, really just focussing on the gaze stabilization exercises and making them more challenging. Once I felt fully recovered I stopped the VRTs, but I know that I continue to challenge my system at work, exercises, and normal life in general.

Do you do standard VRTs or just the treadmill reading?

Joni

Old 03-12-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
herofix
(male)

herofix HB User

Joni,
I realized on my way home from work last night that "gaze stab" was shorthand for gaze stabilization...duh! Yes, I have done those exercises in the past (letter on moving card, spotting numbers on a busy grid, etc). When I was instructed to do the treadmill reading I dropped the other VRT's but now I'm thinking that I should resume them as well. It's just that 1/2 hour of cardio (with the visual spotting) seems like it should be enough...I don't want to spend hours a day on this! On the other hand, it's worth a shot.

Thanks for your advice.

Dan

Old 03-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
Joni9921
Veteran
(female)

I only spent 5 minutes, twice a day, doing the exercises. I had to force myself to be consistent, but it was a minimal time commitment.

Closed Thread