It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

Question re: early days of vn/blues, etc.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
violet6
Senior Veteran
(female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User
Question Question re: early days of vn/blues, etc.

Hello, all--

It sounds like many of you have learned to cope with this dizziness problem very well, which is so encouraging. However, I thought I'd check in about the early days.

Did any of you feel, well, bonkers from this illness? I'm at about 14weeks, and things are getting better (so slowly though!!), but I am still finding it hard to deal with feeling so unlike myself. I guess I could call the feelings some combination of anxiety and depression, but also there's a fear of just not getting better and sometimes a bit of that weird depersonalization feeling. I am coping with these feelings, but I guess I'm wondering if these more psychological symptoms are just me or if they are somewhat to be expected side effects of one's head feeling so unusual? I did not have any of these problems before the sudden onset of dizziness.

My diagnosis is still somewhat up in the air. Most of my docs feel VN is to blame; one doc suggested MAV. I'm doing VRT and the migraine diet, as well as various supplements while I try to sort it all out.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

--Violet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
sheriff56
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User
Re: Question re: early days of vn/blues, etc.

Hi Violet I have kept a diary for years and on one entry I wrote, "I feel like im on the outside looking in through rain covered windows" is that how it feels for you??

I dont feel like that anymore I'm so pleased to say, but it has been a long road home.
Jayne

Old 03-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
violet6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, Jayne--

I think that does sound like a good way to describe the unusual feelings. In a way for me it's also like just feeling very car sick all the time. I really think it's the inner ear, so I'm hoping the problem gets better sooner rather than later.

Did you have vestibular neuritis, or MAV, or both?

Thank you for your thoughts!

--Violet

Old 03-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
studyin
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi Violet,

>>> Did any of you feel, well, bonkers from this illness? I'm at about 14weeks, and things are getting better (so slowly though!!), but I am still finding it hard to deal with feeling so unlike myself. I guess I could call the feelings some combination of anxiety and depression, but also there's a fear of just not getting better and sometimes a bit of that weird depersonalization feeling.

I had all of that in a very big way and then some - I ended up with a severe anxiety problem at the 4 month mark. When this all started and I had NO idea what was going on and so, when I'd get hammered for no apparent reason again and again, I simply went crazy - that is until I decided to get to the bottom of it (with the help of many on here). Once I understood the beast I could pretty well keep it together in my mind and concentrate on finding a solution.

You'll get better and better and then arrive at a place where you just accept what's happened. Then you'll end up focusing all of your brain power at solving it.

Cheers ... Scott

Old 03-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
sheriff56
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User

Hi Violet VN or VM so they tell me they dont seem to be able to make up their minds with me. . .lol. I do feel 95% good these days but it has been 2 years 6 months this month since it all started.

I think anxiety goes with it as part and parcel of this illness, mind you I still feel bonkers most of the time, but that probably has something to do with running 2 businesses and having 2 teenage daughters testing my nerves and patience. . . lol.
I hope you are feeling better soon.
Jayne

Old 03-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
violet6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jayne--

Just hearing that you feel that much better--although it has taken more than two years--cheers me and gives me hope. I have to keep reminding myself that I will get better, and I am better than I was at the beginning. Time just seems to pass so slowly when one feels this way, and I have to say I would love to see some leaps and bounds (instead of baby steps) towards normalcy.

My doctors also seem to be confused about the two diagnoses...it sounds like they tend to intermingle and complicate each other. Did you do VRT and take meds for the migraine?

Scott--
Thank you for your encouragement!! Your own perseverance is inspiring. Some days I seem to be able to tackle better than other days, but I'll keep my chin up! Many thanks as well for the interesting studies you have been posting.

By the way, my chiropractic experience was quite bizarre! Like you said, some of it made sense and some stuff I have questions about. The worst part was when he applied some huge massager to my upper back--major vibrations=way too dizzy! He insisted my main problem was inflammation, to be treated with yet more diet restrictions and his many supplements. I'll bet he's right in part, in a general sort of way. Hmmm...more food for thought...

--Violet

Old 03-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
sheriff56
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User

Violet, I think I can say quite honestly there is no quick fix here only time will heal and a good healthy lifestyle will help along the way, keeping busy and not dwelling on how you are feeling is good too.
I have done VRT in the past but dont do them anymore, they stopped making me so dizzy and I think if I start doing them again they will make me feel off as they do tend to do that when you start. . . .if that makes sense.
The best medicine is enjoying life as best I can.

Jayne
x

Old 03-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #8
studyin
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi Violet,

What sort of food restrictions did he mention to you? Again, take it with a grain of salt. My chiro told me to eat tons of green apples once. I just nodded but was thinking to myself "what is this guy smoking?". If I eat apples I get mouth ulcers and they're probably a migraine trigger as well as some citrus fruits seem to be.

Stick with removing the well-documented migraine triggers and/or anything else YOU suspect is causing you trouble after some trial and error. For example I know that I cannot eat Sarah Lee french vanilla ice cream. I love the stuff but it gives me the headache from hell 24 hours later. The headache presents as a particular type of tension headache that emerges every time I've had a few scoops.

If the back vibration revs you up, tell him to leave it out and stick with straight adjustments only. If I ever get a massage, my upper neck is out of bounds else I'm a dizzy wreck for hours afterwards. I find the best way to relieve tension in the neck and shoulders is via shiatsu type massage. This does not involve stimulating blood flow everywhere (which seems to make me dizzy) but instead uses direct pressure on tight areas until the muscle releases.

Good luck ... Scott

Old 03-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #9
violet6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Scott--

Your message made me laugh! Yes, the chiropractor said some unusual things. He basically said I couldn't eat any grains at all...no bread, pasta, rice, even oatmeal, etc, and no dairy either. (I know others agree that those foods cause inflammation, but between that and the migraine diet, what is left for a person eat? I guess just fish/meat & veggies/fruits, but then when you factor in an anti-yeast diet, maybe fruit goes too--I don't know yet, as that was to be saved for the next appt!)

Then he proceeded to give me a large stash of nuts when I said I was hungry, although nuts are a common migraine trigger. When I mentioned that fact, he just shrugged. He said all my current supplements are useless, while his are vital to my continued existence. I somehow left with some enzymes he suggested. I don't know what to think about it all. It was very interesting, though.

I'll keep your massage tips in mind. I haven't had a professional one for a while, but when I do I would hate to feel worse afterwards!

Take care,
Violet

Closed Thread