It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

What type of specialist should I see for this..?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 14
tether HB User
What type of specialist should I see for this..?


I have experienced some 'drop attacks' (I think that's what they'd be labelled), and I would like to know what type of specialist I should ask my GP to refer me to. I don't know if the drop attacks are seizure related or inner ear related. In the case of seizure, I guess I would ask to be referred to a neurologist. But if they are inner-ear related, what type of specialist should I ask to be referred to?

(I have posted a description of the 'attacks' in a previous thread, though I have also copy-pasted it below.)


There is no warning. I lose sense of what direction is up and what is down. It feels like the room or street is swaying (not spinning - it is more like the tipping I would expect from a severe earthquake).

I'm not sure if this tipping/swaying is because I am losing balance and therefore my sense of what is up and what is down (vertigo), or if it's because I'm falling and therefore viewing the world at the angle my head is. But the predominant feeling is of the ground swaying/tipping.

I collapse to the ground and it lasts for a few seconds.

I'm not sure, there may be temporary paralysis, for a few seconds - it is difficult to tell, but I think I lose control of my muscles. It happened a few days ago when I was sitting on the bus: my head tipped over to one side and I couldn't move for a few seconds while it lasted.

It has happened 4 times in my life. One time when I was standing, once when I was walking, and twice while I was sitting.

I was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol. I was not particularly hot or cold, and one of the times I was outside in the fresh air. There is no pain.

I am male, 33 years old.

The first time it happened was approximately 8 years ago, the second time approximately 7.5 years ago. Then the third time wasn't until about 2 months ago. And the fourth time was a few days ago.

If anybody has any ideas about what this could be, or ideas on what area I should research to try to find out, I would be very appreciative of any info.

Thank you very much, Richard

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 03-16-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: newport pagnell, UK
Posts: 120
dollydd HB User
Re: What type of specialist should I see for this..?

sounds like you are having a horrible time. I had read about these drop attacks when I was looking for information about Menieres disease. I think they are called Tumarkin's Otolithic Crisis (the otolithic organs are to do with sensing gravity) and I found the following description: Sudden, spontaneous fall to the ground without prior warning experienced by some people with Meniere's disease and non-Meniere's endolymphatic hydrops. It occurs without warning, vertigo, nausea or vomiting, sweating, disequilibrium, loss of consciousness, numbness or paralysis.

If it is this then it is probably more appropriate for you to be referred to a neuro-otologist, as they are inner ear spacialists. Are you anywhere near London? If so ask your gp to refer you to The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in Queens Square as there is neuro-otology department within the main hospital so if they think you also need to see a neurologist they can refer you straight over. Even if you are away from London it might still be worth getting referred there as I think they are the best in the country and you shouldn't have to wait long for an appointment - I got referred there and was seen in just over 3 weeks.

If it is Tumarkins related to Menieres or hydrops I think it is very manageable. Good luck

Old 03-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 14
tether HB User
Re: What type of specialist should I see for this..?

Thanks Dolly, that sounds very much like what it could be. I'm not near London, but I'll ask my GP for a referal to the London place anyway.

Again, thanks for your time.

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
what food is good for leukemia patients sophia17 Leukemia 0 04-21-2010 02:11 AM
what do you do when the impossible happens alex9000 Open to All Other Health Topics 4 02-16-2010 08:21 PM
no MRI's what can be done? happygirl440 Back Problems 15 06-19-2008 07:00 AM
What could it be? :-( LondonRed Bowel Disorders 91 09-20-2007 05:05 PM
no idea where to begin-- what kind of doctor to see?? NJ alberta24 Spinal Cord Disorders 1 09-12-2006 05:26 AM
what are the pain levels after a 3 level lumbar fusion??? hopenj77 Back Problems 2 12-17-2005 05:41 PM
What's The Difference In The Types Of Fusion Surgeries? Tifferzz Back Problems 7 12-06-2005 11:05 AM
what type of doctor to see injured betty Back Problems 7 07-02-2005 12:39 PM
What Kind of Specialist Do I Need? Chaotican Women's Health 0 08-06-2003 02:38 PM

« MY MAV update | Hi »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!