HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Inner Ear Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/inner-ear-disorders/)
-   -   Migraine–anxiety related dizziness (MARD) (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/inner-ear-disorders/602895-migraine-anxiety-related-dizziness-mard.html)

studyin 05-16-2008 08:05 AM

Migraine–anxiety related dizziness (MARD)

[FONT="Arial"]Hi All,

I've been wanting to summarise this article on the board for a while. It really pins down why dizziness, migraine and anxiety are so common among many of us long-time sufferers. Howie, the anxiety we deal with is not (I believe) just something that came along as a side dish with this conditon but is actually a major piece of this disorder.

[B][SIZE="4"]Migraine–anxiety related dizziness (MARD): a new disorder?[/SIZE][/B]
[I]J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry[/I]. 2005 Jan;76(1):1-8
Furman JM, Balaban CD, Jacob RG, Marcus DA.
[INDENT]It is not surprising that some patients with dizziness may suffer from a combination of a balance disorder, migraine, and an anxiety disorder, a symptom complex the authors propose to name migraine–anxiety related dizziness (MARD). Dizziness or vertigo occur in 54.5% of patients with migraine, compared with 30.2% of patients with tension-type headache.

Migraine related dizziness is a bona fide disorder.

The authors speculate that some episodes of vertigo in patients with MARD represent migraine aura without headache. [/INDENT]If anxiety is the predominant feature in the triad then a combination of an antidepressant and a benzodiazepene is the way to go. If migraine is predominant then any of the anti-migraine meds according to these guys.

It seems to me like the smart choice would be to use a med that tackles both migraine and anxiety all at once– the tricyclic antidepressants and Effexor fit this by killing two birds with one stone thus leaving the vestibular system alone and stopping all of the symptoms we love so much. On the other hand, it could be spilt in two so that one med tackles anxiety only and another the migraine if neither Effexor nor the tricyclics were a possibilty. I should add here that I am getting a great result using St John's Wort for the anxiety component. I am thinking about Topamax again (low dose) for the migraine bit now that Cipramil is out of the picture.[/INDENT]
Hope this info helps anyone out there trying to work out 1) what's going on and 2) a med solution.

Scott :cool:[/FONT]

Howie2 05-16-2008 08:30 AM

Re: Migraine–anxiety related dizziness (MARD)

good post...

treatment does make sense

I am on Zoloft SSRI
Klonopin Benzo
Verapamil - typically migraine medication

pamg6 05-16-2008 09:52 AM

Thanks for the info. I know that I have struggles with anxiety attacks since I was 18. I remember my first attack and where I was!!!!!!

I am torn between Topomax and effexor when I go in to the doc.
My doc want me to do a TransCranial Doppler to see if I have a hole in my heart. The doc I go to also does clinicla trials. They are finding that people that suffer migraine with aura tend to have this. The hole typically closes before we ar born, but some evidence shows a connection between hole and aura. In order to get the testing free, I would need to take Topomax and if that med doesn't work, then you get the testing free. Its about a $400.00 test.....anyway, I don't like the side effects that I hear people talking about, so I am not sure if I want to try this med. I still have a couple of weeks before I see the doc. Maybe I could do both.

Pam 3

studyin 05-16-2008 04:04 PM

[FONT="Arial"]Hi Pam,

I know another person who has seen some excellent results on Topamax recently and she's on a very small dose – only about 12.5 mg! Hard to believe this would even work but she said Zoloft got her out of bed, neurontin calmed her body down (stopped Zoloft clenching) and let her sleep. Klonopin got her out of the house walking, and let her sleep even more, but Topamax has made her feel steadier than she's felt in 6 years! She's only using Topamax now.

I'm seriously thinking about starting on a really miniscule dose tonight and slowly titrating it up for a few weeks if it goes down ok.

BTW, she also told me she had dealt with a significant amount of anxiety which now seems to be under control although I think that happened way before Topamax.

Howie: Yup, you're basically hitting two parts of the triad hard and it's letting you get on with your life.

Cheers ... Scott :cool:[/FONT]

pamg6 05-16-2008 04:59 PM

Hi Scott,

I hope you do well with the Topomax. Let us know how it goes!!
The 12.5 mg sounds like a good place to start If I should take Topomax.

Wishing you a "Normal" day!!!
Pam 3

studyin 05-16-2008 08:30 PM

Hi Pam - I decided to take the bull by the horns this morning. I took a 50 mg pill and cut it into 6 pieces ... so about 8 mg went down about an hour ago. I'll let you know if the heavens open for me in the next few days! :D

S :cool:

pamg6 05-17-2008 06:51 AM

Scott,

Thats fantastic!!!!!! I am hoping you see improvement this very day!!
Let us know.

Pam 3