It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Mard

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
    cknmbbl
    Veteran
    (female)

cknmbbl HB User
    Mard

Has anyone read the complete article about this? I pulled it up, but would rather not spend the $30 to subscribe. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
    Boslee2008
    Veteran
    (male)

Boslee2008 HB User
    Re: Mard

Yes, I have it saved on my computer. Basically, long story short, MARD is a combination of prior vestibular damage (inner ear damage from VN or labrynthitis), Anxiety syndromes which are either primary, or reactive, and Migraine. Once the migraine gets going, the anxiety just sets off more migraine and the migraine sets off more migraine and on and on it goes. The key is to break the cycle SOMEWHERE but often times, doctors will simply treat the entire picture, by giving medicines for migraine, medicines for anxiety, and if there is any dizziness left from lack of compensation from prior vestibular damage (usually evident on ENG test), VRT is initiated AFTER the migraine/anxiety treatment as VRT usually doesn't work well when the cycle is going. Sometimes one drug can handle both, such as Effexor, which treats both migraine AND anxiety. I hope that helps

Rich

Old 07-31-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi,

Do a search for "migraine-anxiety related dizziness" and you'll be able to access the full article in one of the results.

I've summarised this paper on the boards too. Try a search for MARD here on this forum.

One of the problems is that if MARD is an accurate description of the problem – and I really believe it is for many – that doctors, in fact, MISS the boat. They end up telling the patient, "you are simply anxious", or "you have an overly sensitive inner ear". Most may not make the migraine connection at all because the migraine may show as tension-type headache or no headache at all. All of this is discussed in the article along with a physiological explanation and treatment options. I think it's one of the best papers I've seen on this garbage.

Best ... Scott

Old 07-31-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
    cknmbbl
    Veteran
    (female)

cknmbbl HB User

Thanks guys. Looking at all the info I can get!!
    CK

Old 08-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
    Lenore6
    (female)

Lenore6 HB User

Has anyone brought up MARD to any of their Dr.? Its seems so new, but it does explain my issues. I just wonder how many if any Dr. have even heard of this.

Its almost scary that some of us out there know more about whats wrong with ourselves then our Dr. do. Self diagnosis seems to be the theme with most people, me included. And it worries me that Dr. will tell us that something is wrong with us cause thats what they specialize in, for examlpe I was told by many GP that my dizziness was allergies, because allergies is so common. A neurologist said it was migraines cause thats what he specialized in (just told me to take advil), And ent told me allergies too cause that was his specialty. You know what I mean? Some Dr. dont seem to think outside the box, they are just so use to seeing the typical patients. Sorry to rant, I just dont always think Dr. have all the answers and its hard for me to believe what they say.

Ive always said I dont need a Dr., just give me a prescription pad, cause I already know what I need.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
    Boslee2008
    Veteran
    (male)

Boslee2008 HB User

that's exactly the problem I have run into as well, which is why I have chosen to take myself to medical "centers" that have doctors who deal with figuring out dizzy patients instead of having a specialty. This way, the doctor doing the consult is already familiar with migraine, anxiety, inner ear problems, and dysautonomias as a cause for dizziness. When you end up in the office of a practitioner who specializes in one modality, you end up with either a diagnosis of their speciality, a "guess" as to another possible cause they have little experience with, or they throw their hands up in the air. It's scary, and frustrating at the same time

Rich

Old 08-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
    Lenore6
    (female)

Lenore6 HB User

But how do you find a good medical center? Are there ones that specialize in dizzyness? How you brought up MARD to your Dr?

Thanx for understanding, Im just frustrated today.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:59 AM   #8
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi Lenore,

I gave my doc a copy of the paper. She read it all and found it really interesting and has taken it on board when we try to work out what meds I should try.

Scott

Closed Thread