It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Has anyone used chiropractic help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
    bcrelief
    (female)

bcrelief HB User
    Question Has anyone used chiropractic help?

Hi. Just wondering if anyone here has used chiropractic help for any of their symptoms/issues? If so, please tell us what disorder/problem you have and info about your chiropractic session - how long have you been going, what is being done, how has it helped you in any form?

I have begun seeing a chiropractor and am trying to figure out whether I should continue or wait until I have my neurologist and ear doc visits. My chiro knows my background (and is a very nice and straight-forward kind of guy) and said he thinks some chiro could help, but it will take some time. We are being cautious about true adjustments/rotation due to my TMD. Last time he adjusted me, it later made me more dizzy and have more visual issues and it took about 1 1/2 days for most of it to clear. He was not too concerned saying that while he would rather me come in and say I feel better, this reaction means that SOMETHING is happening and therefore can get better. I guess this makes sense in theory but I don't particularly like feeling this way and do worry it may make it worse. Any thoughts/related stories?

Thanks! BC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
    mommyjen
    (female)

mommyjen HB User
    Re: Has anyone used chiropractic help?

I have not done chiro for my ear issue but I have done many months of acupuncture and it has helped a ton! It makes my symptoms lessen right away.
    Hope this helps in some way...

Old 02-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
    xtine04
    (female)

xtine04 HB User

i would be very careful. i have (most likely) a tear in the inner ear called a perilymph fistula. when i went to the chiro 2 weeks after my dizzies begun, she made things much worse. i went to the ER right after my appt since i thought i was having a stroke.

it's not 18 months later and i have dealt with ongoing dizzy issues, anxiety, stress for too long. if i had to do it over again i'd not get that adjustment as i probably would have healed on my own. i will never see a chiro again as i just don't trust that type of medicine.

i've even tried massage and the massage even makes things worse as it increases inter-cranial pressure... i was dizzy for an entire day after massage therapy.

i would be very, very careful. chiros are not trained in ear disorders. they can easily make things worse. the idea that you felt worse after an adjustment is not comforting...

Old 02-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
    mviramgama
    (male)

mviramgama HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Has anyone used chiropractic help?

I have dizziness, vertigo since 5 years. I went to almost all kind of doctors like ENTs, PTs, Neurolgist, Chiro etc.

I tried Chiro for atleast 3 Months. He was doing some general chiro treatment and tried to improve neck curvature. But I didn't get any relief out of that. Also tried Chiro with special Neurology. He was quiet expensive (first treatment $300 and then $100 for each visit). But not useful.

Last I went to Neurologist special in headache and started MAV (migraine associated vertigo) treatment and after 1 month treatment I feeling like 25% relief. So I have hopes now to improve more.

Goodluck everyone.

Manoj.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
    xtine04
    (female)

xtine04 HB User

that reminds me- i saw a top neuro chiro too... after a very long session testing me for all sorts of things- he told me to get ear wax removed from my ears and use ear drops!!!

at that time i didn't know what i had, but i knew i was beyond that... seems they don't know much about vestibular disorders LOL.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi BC,

>>> He was not too concerned saying that while he would rather me come in and say I feel better, this reaction means that SOMETHING is happening and therefore can get better.

In my opinion (you may have already read this before ) adjustments are OK (but potentially hazardous) for loosening up stiff joints. I saw a chiro for a while before I realised it was migraine causing my neck pain. I once thought the neck pain was due to VN and "over-used" stressed muscles. The chiro said the same. It was all bull though. My chiro used to bang on about "subluxations" and nerves not working correctly. It's all nonsense (imagine if it were true that an impinged "subluxated" nerve affected the organs ... what would that mean for a quadriplegic? They still have normal organ function).

Chiros and lots of alternative quacks all say the same sort of stuff too such as 1) we're getting a reaction and that's a good thing ... you just need to keep coming back for months/years until things right themselves. 2) no reaction means it will take time and you need to keep coming for months/years until the effect begins to work. They always have an answer regardless of the outcome to keep you spending your money. And I don't know anyone whose MAV ever went away from these adjustments. At best, it gives temp relief for neck and back pain. Of course, once the trigger load returns, the pain is back. I wasted a stack of money on my chiro when I didn't know any better. All I had to do was stop eating migraine-triggering foods and the neck pain melted away. Of course not a single person knew this. I had to read it in "Heal Your Headache" by Buccholtz. That book was a revelation for me.

Will chat soon .... Scott

Old 02-24-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
    wannarun
    (female)

wannarun HB User

To say all chiropractors are a waste of time is like saying all doctors are a waste of time. We have all experienced doctors (MD's) who just don't know what they are doing, and don't bother to keep up on the latest research etc. There are other doctors who are willing to take the time and sit with you, talk to you and really hear what you're saying. They are your advocate and will keep with you until you get the relief you need. Where are these doctors? I have yet to find one.
    However, I have found a chiropractic neurologist who has done just that. I have experienced great relief, as stated in an earlier post titled "hold onto hope". He never talked about sublaxations and nerve pinching, instead has focused on nutrition and intestinal health. That has made a huge difference in my opinion.
    I did have a couple of other visits with some chiro's who did talk about the sublaxations etc. And they did say it should get worse before it gets better. But, had I given up, I wouldn't have found my "dude", the chiropractic neurologist.
    So, the answer for chiro help is the same as MD help. There are some who are not "quacks" and some who are, and you just can't give up until you find the right one for you.
    You cannot judge for yourself based on the experience of another. You need to make your own decision, take your own health into your own hands.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi Wannarun,

There are actually a very small minority of chiropractors who are legitimate in that they know where to draw the line. They make up about 5% of chiros out there. These particular chiropractors use there skills for manipulation only in order to try and eliminate localised pain (as in back pain or neck pain). But note that this subgroup think that all of the other stuff most chiros go on about such as subluxations and "energy blockage" is nonsense. In fact, they call a subluxation a "dumbluxation". They know it's rubbish.

Hey, if you are seeing a chiro who makes you feel better and you think offers sound evidence-based nutritional advice that has made a positive difference in your life, than great. I am just trying to make clear what is real and what is not. When I was really unwell, the chiro I saw did seem to really care about my health etc. and it made me feel less anxious as a result. He was also great at manipulation and gave me temporary relief from neck pain at a time when physio or massage revved up my dizziness and before I realised my neck pain was caused by migraine. But I took a lot of his other comments with a huge grain of salt. I can remember him once telling a fellow patient that they should eat nothing but green apples for two days to clear something up. Personally, and as someone who works in nutrition here at the university, I wouldn't take nutritional advice from anyone who had not completed a degree in the area. Too many people out there peddle ridiculous nutritional myths.

Be well ... Scott

Old 02-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
    wannarun
    (female)

wannarun HB User

"There are actually a very small minority of chiropractors who are legitimate in that they know where to draw the line."

Yes, and that is my point. They are out there, you have to keep looking for them.
    And there are doctors out there who just keep giving prescription after prescription altering your body's natural chemistry in order to "manipulate", if you will, your body to try to get you to feel better-but it is masking symptoms, not getting to the root of the problem. Not to mention, the side effects of these drugs can be as harmful if not even more so than someone eating only green apples for two days (sounds like quackery to me-and I wouldn't do it, but still better than giving a drug that's going to give someone an allergic reaction and send them to the ER-or keep them up all night with anxiety etc.)
    There are "good" docs and "bad" docs; there are good chiro's and bad ones. And typical MD's have their place in this world with medicine when your body has gone waaay wrong (ie cancer); and I believe chiro's have their place in this world to help keep us on track with a healthy, natural lifestyle.
    It's all in a person's choice.
    Good luck to you.

Closed Thread