It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Psychogenic dizziness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
    lookng4answrs
    (female)

lookng4answrs HB User
    Psychogenic dizziness

CK, Violet, willholl,

Is it possible that we all have psychogenic dizziness?

L4A

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
    cknmbbl
    Veteran
    (female)

cknmbbl HB User
    Re: Psychogenic dizziness

I have thought about that. I kinda ruled that out after I had that true vertigo attack that landed me in the hospital. Maybe you can have true vertigo with that. I also know that about 2 years ago I really had my head on straight with anxiety and all and I wasn't any better. I dunno though. I'm rethinking alot of things these days.

CK

Old 08-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi L4A,

Psychogenic dizziness typically lasts for short periods of time as in less than 60 minutes max. The dizziness associated with it is not anything as severe as the sort we get thrown at us by migraine or VN. The anxiety we feel is mostly otogenic (of the ears) and the fear associated with the attacks. In my opinion, a real fear response does make dizziness worse but not because of a psychogenic cause; rather, it just causes the brain to have a bad time holding compensation in place or simply ratchets up the migraine.

My two cents ... Scott

Old 08-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
    violet6
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User

L4A--

I agree with Scott & Subs...anxiety gets mixed in with this, but it is the dizzy problem that is fueling it. When I first got dizzy, I remember I tried drinking some wine--I was thinking, ok I'm freaking out, maybe this is in my head. Bad idea. I normally love wine and love its relaxing effects, but the wine made me feel much dizzier...haven't had any since. Also, the xanax I took at the beginning of this thing never touched the dizziness. It sounds like valium and klonopin and maybe xanax too can help the dizzies in some way, but at least during the most acute phase for me--while I felt calmer with the xanax--my dizziness was still in full force.

I believe our anxiety and depression will both abate as we get control over the dizzy monster...

Violet

Old 08-25-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
    lookng4answrs
    (female)

lookng4answrs HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by violet6 View Post
    L4A--

I agree with Scott & Subs...anxiety gets mixed in with this, but it is the dizzy problem that is fueling it. When I first got dizzy, I remember I tried drinking some wine--I was thinking, ok I'm freaking out, maybe this is in my head. Bad idea. I normally love wine and love its relaxing effects, but the wine made me feel much dizzier...haven't had any since. Also, the xanax I took at the beginning of this thing never touched the dizziness. It sounds like valium and klonopin and maybe xanax too can help the dizzies in some way, but at least during the most acute phase for me--while I felt calmer with the xanax--my dizziness was still in full force.

I believe our anxiety and depression will both abate as we get control over the dizzy monster...

Violet
    But I guess what scares me is all this talk about brainstem function and things changing in your brain. It sounds like something irreversible. You guys will all have to pardon me, I'm going through a rough time and everything just seems so hopeless right now. I know that will change. I just want to get better, as we all do.

L4A

Old 08-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
    Boslee2008
    Veteran
    (male)

Boslee2008 HB User

I agree. It's not psychogenic. For people suffering with this type of dizziness, they usually feel better when they are in situations where they feel more "in control", or when fear is not an issue. The dizziness is usually not constant either. migraine dizziness is the only constant dizziness I know of. It stinks!

It's funny though. I know people who suffer from plain old anxiety who have anxiety attacks out of the blue, no other symptoms, and I'm standing there completely dizzy, vision bugging out, light stabbing my brain, and my pulse is 60 beats a minute, my blood pressure is 115/76 and you'd barely know I was breathing. I'm talking them down and telling them to breathe slow. If they only knew what I was going through at the exact same moment. It's at those times that I KNOW I have a migraine problem, and the anxiety is largely reactive, even though I am hyperactive at times, and tend to be a worrier. Regardless of that, I don't have full blown panic attacks like that. just low-level anxiety on a constant basis due to the this garbage.

Rich

Old 08-26-2008, 02:30 AM   #7
    dollydd
    (female)

dollydd HB User

Quote:

Violet
    Violet
    It definitely does. I have never suffered anxiety or depression in my life and I don't think I had either during the first year of being ill. But when it dragged on into a second year both anxiety and some depression really kicked in and I could see that the anxiety was making me even dizzier. I was worried 24/7 about 'what if..' and I obsessed all the time about my condition, I literally couldn't think about anything else.

I made the decision not to take medication but to concentrate on deep breathing sessions regularly through the day - that really helped. But now I feel completely normal again, no dizzies at all for several weeks now, and the anxiety has completely disappeared - I just don't have anything to be anxious about any more and I am not depressed as I have my life back.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:21 AM   #8
    violet6
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dolly--

Wonderful news and very encouraging! I am so glad that your dizzies are on their way out and that you are feeling so well. I am going to resume my VRTs and my supplements to see if I can get back to my baseline, which got out of whack with the meds. I'll hope for the best and look forward to posting good news myself!

Also, thank you so much for keeping in touch about the uncompensated VN issues. By the way, did your docs every try any maneuvers on you like the Epley or other repositioning maneuvers? I don't have BPPV per se, but they have done these maneuvers twice now and they never help...always feel worse afterward for a bit. Just curious if you ever had that experience...

Take care,
    Violet

Old 08-26-2008, 07:43 AM   #9
    dollydd
    (female)

dollydd HB User

Quote:
    By the way, did your docs every try any maneuvers on you like the Epley or other repositioning maneuvers? I don't have BPPV per se, but they have done these maneuvers twice now and they never help...always feel worse afterward for a bit. Just curious if you ever had that experience...

Take care,
    Violet
    Violet
    I had the Hallpike test twice and both times it was bilaterally negative. However, last November I had one episode of what my fantastic drs. in London are sure was bppv, sort of - they said from my description of how it felt and the type of vertigo it wasn't a decomp episode. I had turned my head very suddenly to look behind and they reckoned I had dislodged debris or calcium rocks. They said it is very common for vn sufferers to have this kind of 'one-off' event, they think it might be to do with the trauma the inner ear has suffered or just debris left behind by the infection, they called it a 'sequela' to the vn. They said it might happen again but not to worry, it definitely wasn't actual bppv, and it hasn't repeated. But even being certain that it was positional they didn't even suggest Epley.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:57 AM   #10
    violet6
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Interesting, Dolly--thank you so much for this info. I haven't had any quick spins, so no typical BPPV for me as of yet...I think I will steer clear of the moves for now...good to know it can just go on its own.

Violet

Closed Thread