It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• limit to decompensation?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
    rent150
    (female)

rent150 HB User
    limit to decompensation?

Over the last week I've been feeling in many ways as sick as I did when my dizziness started a bit over a year ago...tons of dizziness, feeling off balance and barely being able to function outside my home. I'm still waiting the long and hellish wait to see a neurootologist. My question is is there a limit to how much someone can decompensate?? I had a period of 4 months where I felt back to normal and dizzy free, and now I'm about three months in to feeling dizzy again and experiencing one of the worst weeks I've had in a long time. Should I get back to where I was sometime soon, or could I be back to square one. I'm 24 and can't help but feel like a normal future just isn't in the cards for me anymore!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
    Re: limit to decompensation?

Hi rent,

As far as I know a decompensation event shouldn't last for months, but perhaps for a couple of weeks max, and that would be in the early days following a vestibualr injury. Decomp should occur less frequently and end altogether over time.

If you are having an attack lasting months like this following being 100%, I'd be suspecting migraine. Migraine is cyclical and can hang around for months at a time and then vanish again.

Have you been evaluated by a neurotolgist?

Best ... Scott

Old 09-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
    rent150
    (female)

rent150 HB User

Hey Scott, I'm actually waiting to see a neurootologist now and it looks like it could take a few months. As far as I know, I havent suffered any kind of added vestibular damage, but it definitely is suspicious that I've been feeling sick again for so long. A new thing that I have been dealing with is episodes of low blood pressure, I dont know if that's what could be keeping me from compensating this time around. I wonder if I really do have MAV though, it might be something to look into or mention to my doctors i guess.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:57 AM   #4
    dollydd
    (female)

dollydd HB User

Hi rent
    have courage, you will get better. I had 4 very bad decompensation episodes over a 14 month period and several smaller ones. The last of the big ones did set me back to square one. I still hadn't had a diagnosis at this stage as I had got stuck in the ENT loop, just wasting time with the wrong people. My balance was so bad by this time that someone did suggest vrt and slowly I started to improve. But I just didn't feel I was really getting there so after two years of hell at the end of last year I finally worked it out, after reading all the good advice on this board, that I should be seeing a neuro-otologist. Everything changed, they ran all the tests, gave me a diagnosis of left side vn, booked me in with their vestibular therapists for customized vrt, followed me up, gave me a posturography test that showed some visual vertigo, more customized therapy and finally I have reached the point, after nearly 3 years when I can say I am fully recovered. It has been hard work, I still do all the balance and gaze stabilization work every day but I have now got to the stage when I am no longer thinking about it - I can just get on with what I have to do.
    good luck

Old 09-30-2008, 06:39 AM   #5
    nutmeg888
    (female)

nutmeg888 HB User

Hi - I just saw your message and notice that you are in Toronto - me too.
    I had my first episode with vertigo three weeks ago and now it is a contstant. If I move my head in certain directions, I am instantly dizzy - in a room spinning way (not a low blood pressure etc. way). My doctor has referred me to an ENT but the next appointment is end of November! Have you had any success with Epely?

Old 09-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
    rent150
    (female)

rent150 HB User

Hey Nutmeg, sadly I've been dealing with this for a year now and havent managed to kick it yet...I'm waiting to see a neurootologist and am hoping to finally get down to what's wrong with me. I did have a four month break from feeling dizzy, but sadly its come back along with episodes of low blood pressure. I only really ahd spinning vertigo in the very beginning of my illness and since its been more unsteadiess and feeling off balance. It doesnt seem like I have BPPV so i havent tried the epley, but since yours seems more spinning than anything else it might help. Definitely wait to see the ENT first though...hopefully an epley will be all you need to get back on track. Good luck and I hope your dizziness goes away much faster than mine did.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
    rent150
    (female)

rent150 HB User

Thansk for your post Dolly, hearing success stories like yours allows me to keep hope alive in a time when it seems pretty much hopeless!! May your success continue and may dizziness be a thing of the past for you!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:32 AM   #8
    nutmeg888
    (female)

nutmeg888 HB User

thanks so much, rent, for your reply.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    Also, since you're in Toronto, I'll let you know of anything I find out locally that may help.
    Take care,
    *yours on the roller coaster ride*

Old 10-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #9
    rent150
    (female)

rent150 HB User

Thanks so much Nutmeg!! good luck

Closed Thread