HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Inner Ear Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/inner-ear-disorders/)
-   -   'Heal Your Headache' Diet (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/inner-ear-disorders/641916-heal-your-headache-diet.html)

willholl 10-15-2008 09:20 AM

'Heal Your Headache' Diet

Just wondering if anyone has had their dizziness resolved or greatly improved doing nothing but following the diet in 'Heal Your Headache', and if so, how long did it take? I've been following it at about 80-90% since mid August and I have not noticed any improvement.

I am planning to talk with the doctor in about two weeks about adding some of the foods back into my diet. There's so much on the 'disallowed' list, and I'm starting to wonder if avoiding some of the 'healthy' foods that are on the diet, like veggie burgers, nuts and citrus fruits, may be having a detrimental effect on my overall health (I don't eat much meat, for example, and there's a good chance I am not getting enough protein these days.)

I think there are some sections of the book that are good, but some of it is a bit too simplistic and should be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe that is because it is directed towards headache sufferers rather than those of us stumbling around in a morass of dizziness!

willholl

violet6 10-15-2008 04:36 PM

Re: 'Heal Your Headache' Diet

Hi there! I particularly have a problem with the page where he says he won't write notes for job-related issues for migraine sufferers, or something along those lines. I have met a few neuros who feel the same way, that they have the complete power to control your migraines and therefore won't accept that you might need to miss a day of work. OK, I think we all know by now that not all migraine issues are resolved in a few days...

RE: the diet, I haven't noticed huge improvements from following it, but it is tricky for me to figure out if things cause symptoms, since I'm always feeling some kind of symptoms...not sure yet??

Violet

lookng4answrs 10-15-2008 06:38 PM

I agree with Violet--too hard to tell. I'm on the no gluten, no dairy, no migraine triggers, no salt diet. There IS nothing left to eat and I'm for sure not getting enough protein! Although I found that sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds are high in protein.

L4A

cknmbbl 10-15-2008 07:22 PM

Just wanted to say that when I first was diagnosed I followed the diet very strictly for about 6 months. I did not notice any improvment. I talked to my dr about it and he said it doesn't work for everyone. Thats why I thought the % of people who got better with just diet seemed high.

Violet,

You have a good point. Maybe the diet is more effective for regular migraine.

K

willholl 10-16-2008 06:39 AM

An article I saw on e-medicine said that the migraine diet helped less than 25-30% of people with MAV. If it didn't help after a month, he didn't recommend staying on it. It's hard to go off it, though, thinking that it could somehow make things even worse...

L4A, wow, I was struggling with just migraine trigger and low salt (which actually seem to run counter to each other.) At least I can have cheese and bagels! I give you a lot of credit. Thanks for the seeds idea.

Violet, your point is exactly the one I had a hard time with! I am struggling so hard these days to go to work on any kind of a regular basis. I have to go downtown and feeling dizzy and spacy in a huge crowd is not fun, nor is trying to run meetings through brain fog. Heck, most days I find it challenging to stay sitting up at my desk for the whole day!

willholl

violet6 10-16-2008 06:54 AM

Willholl--I am impressed you have been continuing work! My initial onset was so severe that I could not work at all and it never has gotten a great deal better, so I'm still not working. Telecommuting is a great option if one's work allows it. I'm actually dealing with some work issues right now, relating to the ADA. I'll report back about it once my situation is resolved. Migraine is considered one of the top 25 most disabling conditions by the WHO...for those dealing with intractable, chronic cases it can be quite challenging indeed. I still think in time, however, that we'll find the right combination of treatments to at least get us mostly better! :)

Violet