It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Effects of taking ginkgo biloba?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2003, 08:05 AM   #1
    NoodyPooh

NoodyPooh HB User
    Question Effects of taking ginkgo biloba?

OK, guys...I got a question...Has anyone seen any improvements by taking gingko biloba? My ENT gave me a pamphlet on a over the counter drug, not available in drugstores, but you can call toll free to receive a free sample...I sent for it, and after reading the label, the only 2 ingredients I found to alleviate dizziness was gingko biloba, and magnesium...the rest of the ingredients pertained to nausea, which I have never suffered from...It said this drug was successful in treating vertigo cases, as well as motion sickness...It said it usually takes 2-3 months to see the effects, but was supposed to be very successful in treating vertigo...Since I dont need anything to cure nausea, I bought some ginkgo, and magnesium and have been taking it religiously for the past 3 weeks...So far, I dont notice any difference....Anyone feel any better after taking it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2003, 08:39 AM   #2
    Ruth77
    Veteran
    (female)

Ruth77 HB User
    Hi Noodypooh... I took gingko biloba for a number of weeks and it unfortunately didn't help me - although I've never tried magnesium. Can I ask what the name is of the drug he suggested?

Old 03-29-2003, 09:11 AM   #3
    NoodyPooh

NoodyPooh HB User
    Hi Ruth...It's called T-Bio...all natural dietary supplement...Says on the bottle for relief for patients who suffer tinnitus or motion sickness..The pamphlet my ENT gave me also said for treatment of vertigo..(wasnt sure if I was allowed to post the name of it and I do have the toll-free number, but not sure if thats allowed either) lol..love those smilies!

Old 03-29-2003, 09:18 AM   #4
    Ruth77
    Veteran
    (female)

Ruth77 HB User
    Cheers Noody... have not yet figured out how the smilies work!

Old 03-29-2003, 09:41 AM   #5
    NoodyPooh

NoodyPooh HB User
    Ruth...Right next to the "your reply box"..see where it says "Smilies Legend"? Click on that, and a screen will come up telling you how to type in a particular smilie...I've always been a sucker for new smilies..LOL http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Old 03-29-2003, 11:33 AM   #6
    hbep
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User
    LOL -I've only just figured out how the smilies work. Thought I was the only one who didn't know, felt really stupid. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

[This message has been edited by hbep (edited 03-29-2003).]

Old 03-29-2003, 11:38 AM   #7
    hbep
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yeah I've been taking ginko - one a day, plus a B vitamin (all the B's in one) have absolutely no idea if they've done any good at all, but I have definitely improved, and let's face it I've done nothing else except acupuncture, so it's those or time. My thinking, it can't harm you so anything's worth a try.

And one more smilie just for the hell of it, why not, eh?

Old 03-29-2003, 11:41 AM   #8
    hbep
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

No, that's a lie, I stuck some horrible salt water spray up my nose and some nasal steroids, but I know those made things worse, so I wouldn't recommend them - LMAO.

For those who want some more fun things to pepper messages with.

LOL =Laugh out loud.
    LMAO = Laugh My Arse Off

Old 03-29-2003, 12:47 PM   #9
    NoodyPooh

NoodyPooh HB User
    I tried the nasal steroid rhinocort when I first started getting dizzy because I thought the dizziness was coming from my sinus's...After a catscan, that proved not to be the case...My doctor also put me on predisone for 6 days when I was at my dizziest...Cant say that helped either....I figured the gingko is worth giving a try too...Cant hurt!

[This message has been edited by NoodyPooh (edited 03-29-2003).]

Old 04-15-2003, 11:45 AM   #10
    NoodyPooh

NoodyPooh HB User
    OK...I tried the gingko biloba for about a month and a half...I really think it may have been helping, cause I have been feeling so much better....Hardly dizzy at all at times: maybe it was the gingko, maybe it is just time finally healing itself..I dont know...but I stopped taking the ginkgo because for the past couple of weeks, I have been experiencing severe gas pains to the point I can't eat because it was making me sick to my stomach...Read on the ginkgo biloba bottle that this was one of the side effects from taking them...So, I stopped...Will let you know if I start feeling dizzier again.

Old 04-16-2003, 05:23 AM   #11
    Emsybobs
    Inactive

Emsybobs HB User
    Hi, I tried magnesioum and do think it helped, tried Gingko for a few days but should have given it more of a chance... xxx

Old 04-16-2003, 07:38 AM   #12
    Mica09
    Veteran
    (female)

Mica09 HB User
    I started taking magnesium last week. They say it takes at least 6 to 8 weeks before seeing any results. Will let you know how it goes.

Old 04-16-2003, 08:29 PM   #13
    kippers

kippers HB User
    Hi everyone

For MAV they suggest Ginko and vitam B, for other migraines they also suggest magnesium - i suppose its all about getting the blood flowing properly to the head. I went to a health food shop yesterday and the lady who worked there said her sister had miniers for ever and the only thing that helped her was ginko and valerian, she now hardly has it. I took Ginko for a month 3 months ago and have only just started taking it again, i have been taking magnesium for a month, i'm not better but i don't think i have been taking anything long enough to see the effects. i have also started taking vitam e, gotu kola (good for circulation), valerian (natural form of valium and i found valium helps me more then anything) valerian is an ayurvedic treatment for vertigo, also gotu kola, (ayurveda is the Indian form of Chinese Herbal Medicine). I have started taking echinacha incase my immune system is down. I take so many vitamins my pantry looks like a health food shop. I look so healthy its not fair!! I have also heard that drinking lots and lots of water is good (goes without saying really).

Old 04-17-2003, 11:49 AM   #14
    Spaced out

Talking

Hello all

I've been taking Ginko Biloba, plus vitamin E, and vitamin C with bioflavinoids. I did this after reading a testimony from a Menieres sufferer, who was from the States and complaining he couldn't get Serc over there. Apparently, the medics in the US believe that Serc is a placebo. I was told this by an ENT doc about 3 years ago, when all my tests came back clear, and he told me there was nothing wrong with my ears. I told him I was taking Serc, and he told me they were having a placebo affect. Made me feel like a psycho hyperchondriac! Anyway - this american guy I was reading about said that he was taking a combination of vitamins and other stuff, including Ginko Biloba, and felt that it was the combination that was doing the trick for him.

Apparently Serc (betahistine) works by increasing the blood flow to the inner ear. It's prescribed for Menieres sufferers, or those suffering from similar symptoms. It's also prescribed for severe motion sickness. Ginko Biloba, and vitamin E both help blood circulation. If anything can help my brain - I'm all for it! When I was replying to someone yesterday, I got stuck half way through a word, completely forgetting how to spell it, or even what I was writing about! Anyone else suffer like that? I've only experienced that kind of wierdness since my latest bad turn! Anyway - GB is supposed to help that sort of thing. My friend has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and has been properley diagnosed with M.E - she swears by GB.

The guy in the US also takes a homoepathic med called Vertigoheel, but I haven't been able to find it in the UK - however, I haven't typed it into google yet. He reckons it works the same as Serc.

Good luck everyone and happy Easter! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/gabby.gif

Closed Thread