It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• constant moving ..helpppppppp.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2003, 08:56 AM   #1
    brina
    Veteran
    (female)

brina HB User
    Post constant moving ..helpppppppp.

hi all
    please dear friends with this horrid sensation. can you give me advise on how to distract from it. it seems to have taken over my thoughts.
    i hope u r all feeling better yourselves.
    brina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2003, 09:39 AM   #2
    Ruth77
    Veteran
    (female)

Ruth77 HB User
    Hi brina,
    I had that constant moving sensation for a long time with the labyrinthitis. There is no real answer for making it go away unfortunately! Sometimes I actually felt better if I physically rocked whilst sitting - I thought it would help 'trick' my brain into thinking that the sensation was because I was moving, although this did not always help, as sometimes I just felt too nauseous to even move. Do you have a rocking chair? Sounds crazy, but might help. Sometimes lying down also helped for me, but obviously don't do this too much as you need to keep moving to compensate. I do understand how horrible it can make you feel. I got to the point where I couldn't remember what it felt like to feel still. It is also frustrating in that people cannot 'see' it. I had various types of sensation - rocking, swinging, bouncing, swaying, pulling to one side. Does yours fluctuate? Sometimes I actually felt better if I flicked through a magazine, as it took my mind off it a little, but other times the vertigo was so bad that I couldn't read at all. Another thing I found was that the rocking sensation would always be harder to bear when I was sat at the dining table, as my feet don't touch the floor when I am sat on our dining room chairs (am only 5 foot 3) and consequently would feel much more drunk and unstable whilst eating my dinner, so I reverted to eating my dinner on a tray on my lap, where my feet felt firm on the ground! Sounds potty, but it did at least help a little. Is it making you nauseous? Had many days where I felt really sick - drank a lot of peppermint tea to help that. Hang in there, the constant movement does start to diminish over time........

Ruth
    xxx

Old 05-19-2003, 01:44 PM   #3
    NoodyPooh

NoodyPooh HB User
    I'm a firm believer in rocking chair...Its the only way I can sit without feeling dizzy..My husband and I just celebrated our 31st anniversary and we went out to dinner and I couldnt sit at the table...I had to have him switch places with me so I could lean on the wall while I ate because I felt like I was going to fall off my chair.

Old 05-20-2003, 07:48 AM   #4
    yes102

yes102 HB User
    Hi there Brina and other fellow dizzies!

I am still in that constant moving phase and I know what you mean. No matter how still I am, I feel like I'm moving. It's driving me crazy but I read on one of the links given by Subs30 that it's normal. I agree with the rocking chair and ironically, a lot of people state that driving is scary but for me, it's a relief! I know it sounds weird but when I'm moving, it's all good because I'm supposed to feel like I'm moving. The worst is when I'm sitting still. Feet on the ground help a lot but I have a tendancy to cuddle my feet up when I'm on the couch. Not good! Sitting at a table is difficult and it as suppressed my appetite often. Hang in there, I know how you feel. I'm 5 months into this...

Old 05-20-2003, 11:56 AM   #5
    NoodyPooh

NoodyPooh HB User
    I agree with you, Yahoo about being in a car...When I ride, I am a happy camper, but I do have trouble driving...I dont know if its the constant staring at the highway and not being able to let my eyes roam to let my brain know that I am indeed moving, but whenever I drive, its like my right eye doesnt want to function and I cant seem to focus...But my rocking chair is my best friend right now...I even eat my meals in it ( I got a nice comfy overstuffed rocker) When I sit here at the computer, I have to keep constantly swiveling my computer chair...Sitting still makes me feel so wobbly, like I might fall over.

Old 05-23-2003, 02:26 AM   #6
    I Robertson
    Veteran

I Robertson HB User
    Talking

HiBrina & fellow 'movers/dizzies' - yep I can so relate to the constant sensation of moving and know how it seems to take over your thoughts. Firstly it is so normalt o feel this way so do not panic! I find that trying to keep busy - probably physically active should help distract you a bit. I personally find that after about say 20 mins of constant movement (house work type activiies) the imbalance sensation actually reduces a bit. I think that it is very important to keep a little mantra in mind - foe example: ' evry day in every way I am getting better - this is not a permananemt condition - I am going to get completely better in time - this may feel really awful and sacry but it is harmless just unpleasant'. This will reduce your stress levels and make you kinda accpet the symptoms a bit better and in turn they will diminish. Being stressed about them deffinatelt makes you feel worse. It was funny to read that eating at a dinner table can make you all feel worse - me too - ya know I thought it was because I was constantly looking down and then up to chat. I too prefer to eat my dinner sitting on a lounge chair with a tray! If I have to stand and chat I tend to sway (delibrately to over come the sensation of movement). I also used to sort of shift about in my seat etc if I feel especially yuck when out. I find that in the car I cannot notice the movement feeling at all - I guess because the motion actually over rides the movement senstion. Just keep on trecking you will recover it is just a real pain - my thoughts are with you!!

Old 05-23-2003, 05:59 AM   #7
    brina
    Veteran
    (female)

brina HB User
    Question

dear all.
    thank you for your replies.
    its good to know that there is somewhere u can go
    allthough its online , and know that u r not the only one with these symptoms.
    i think its a shame that we r so far away from each other, and cannot meet. face to face.
    i am suprised that there are not support groups for this inner ear disorder, ie dizzyness,
    when i first got tinnitus, about 11yrs ago , from my own enquiring , i found that there are a lot of support groups for this, which i attended, and found over the long term . it was of help.
    when i first went to the doctor about tinnitus, he didnt even tell me what it was , he wouldnt put a name to it. let alone tell me that there was an organisation called the british tinnitus assoc.
    with a helpline number to contact. with a monthly magazine with lots of info.
    some people may not find these groups of any help,
    but i think they make u feel less isolated.
    do u think tinnitus is more common than dizzyness.
    not the short term dizzness i mean longterm?

Closed Thread