It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• I am on my road to recovery, please read!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2003, 11:07 AM   #1
    dizzyinmissouri
    Veteran

dizzyinmissouri HB User
    Talking I am on my road to recovery, please read!!!

I am so excited to be able to share what I have discovered thru my three months of being dizzy. First of all here are the symptoms for those who share the same symptoms.
    Vertigo-actual spinning would only occur when lying down and turning over or tilting my head extreme
    Imbalance-NON-STOP
    Anxiety-pretty much non-stop tension and adrenaline rushes thru my body, worse at night when trying to relax
    Panic attacks-short of breath, one really scary attack
    Fullness in ears and head-on and off
    Some ear pain-minor
    Foggy brain-some say that is normal for me
    Anyway, what I think I have figured out from research is that 9 years ago I got a real virus in my inner ear which came from contaminated water. I was severely sick with non-stop spinning. I was only given the initial shot at the hospital to stop the spinning and to stop my vomiting. Since I was pregnant the doctor did not put me on any medication, which I believe was a good thing now. I slowly compensated for the damage that was done in my ear and it probably took a year until I wouldn't actually feel any imbalance in certain settings.The reason I think it was a blessing that he didn't put me on meclizine was my recovery went much smoother and without these terrible ups and downs. Was slow but gradual.
    Nine years later something occurred (I am thinking severe sinus problems, had the worse sinus headache ever about five days before this attack of vertigo hit again). I woke up with spinning pretty severe but only last for as long as I was moving. Nothing like the first time nine years ago. Which is an indication that the compensation that occurred was removed by sinus?, (can be alot of different things). My brain decompensated to the point of vertigo. Not knowing this, I call the doctor and he gives me meclizine which will either stop or hinder compensation which is the only way to recovery if you have a disorder in your inner ear other than surgery and there are those fortunate people that the Epley Manuever works for (not for me). I was on the meclizine for at least 2 1/2 weeks and then on and off after that. Anyway, what I have discovered is that staying off the meclizine or any other sleepy medicine and doing balance exercises which you can find on the internet is the way back to feeling normal again. This is a long explanation, but I want to help those who share my symptoms, start the exercises today!!!! As bad as I was (it was horrible) it only took about a week to really tell the difference. I am a new person and how I appreciate feeling this good again. The exercises are not that difficult and not that time consuming and so worth it. Also, it is important for me to continue exaggerated movements and do some of these exercises daily once the dizziness is gone, cause people like me can always decompensate and land back where I was. Fortunately, the reoccurences are not as bad as the initial virus and if you only take the medicine necessary to get you out of bed, then go off the meds and start the exercises. They will make you feel worse at first (very dizzy) and can take up to a few months to work completely (everyone is different) but, again, it is so worth it.
    Anyway, I have to share this with you all. I also have to say that I am a Christian who loves the Lord very much and I give him the credit for all I have found. Through many tears and prayers and His leading He has done amazing things. Alot more to that, but that is another matter!!!
    Well, hope this helps and if it does, let me know!!
    Vicki
    P. S. The person who helped me most was from the balance center in Chicago. I called there cause that was the one closest to where I live. She was SO sweet and understanding and knew what I was going thru. She sent me exercises and has offered her help. Her advice was in agreement with what my ears, nose, and throat doctor told me. DO NOT avoid movement! It makes you feel worse at first but will help in the end!
    Hope this helps and I am excited to hear how it goes!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2003, 11:12 AM   #2
    littleone1972
    (female)

littleone1972 HB User
    Fantastic news! I'd be really happy if you could share some of the exercises you tried. We have very long waiting lists for balance centres here in the UK and despite asking just for some exercises while I wait for the doctor, they wouldn't offer any, although I was told that this is what would help get me back on the road to recovery. Would you be willing to post them up? really excited and pleased that someone is getting well again

Old 09-22-2003, 11:29 AM   #3
    hbep
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User
    Hi Little One and Miza,

First, Miza, so happy to hear of your progress, fantastic news. It's great to start to feel free of this head monster - I also, touch wood, seem to be improving with the exercises.

Little one,

Do a search on Cawthorne Cooksey exercises, the key is not to do them all at one - this over loads the brain -do one exercise 3times 5 sets, four times a day. When that exercise no longer causes symptoms move on.to th next.

By the way - look at IRobertson's post about Finding a neuro otologist in the UK. Some helpful idea. It's insane to have to wait a year - INSANE - they will see you at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in London in about 1 - 2 months and they are v. good. In your shoes I'd get a referral there from your Gp and travel. You could be seen inside of a month. They do the tests and give you a diagnosis on the same day. The sooner you get a diagnosis and treatment the sooner you'll get better. In your shoes I'd a) Make absolutely sure you aren't being fobbed off and can't be seen by someone sooner near you or b) travel - no question.

I have also been doing the Cawthorne Cooksey exercises - the National sent me to a class and then you do them at home, and they are also really helping me.

Old 09-22-2003, 11:41 AM   #4
    dizzyinmissouri
    Veteran

dizzyinmissouri HB User
    Smile

The name of one of the exercises is (Brandt-Daroff). The exercises are called habituation exercises and you can find alot of them by typing in balance or habituation exercises on google or yahoo or whatever. One of the web-sites is [url="http://www.aos.jax.com"]www.aos.jax.com[/url] and I found a routine of exercises that I began to do on my own and then the lady at the balance center sent me some more.
    Here are what I am doing:
    1: the brandt-daroff
    2: sitting in chair, stand up quickly look over shoulder, turn head back to center position and sit. Repeat on other side and do this for 1 minute once a day
    3: Just get in the habit of looking down at the floor when you bend over and just looking up at the ceiling when you are standing still just on and off thru the day.
    4: lay flat and roll back and forth for 1 minute once a day
    5: Standing balance exercises:
    Set 1: stand with feet apart arms crossed in
    front of you
    Set 2: stand with feet together and arms crossed
    Set 3: stand with feet half tandem and arms crossed
    Set 4: stand with feet full tandem and arms crossed

With each set standing steady go thru these 6 steps:
    1. eyes open, count to thirty
    2. eyes open, move head up and down ten times
    3. eyes open, move head side to side ten times
    4. eyes closed, count to thirty
    5. eyes closed move head up and down ten times
    6. eyes closed move head side to side ten times

6: keep eyes focused on non-moving target, shake head quickly from side to side for one minute
    keep eyes focused on non-moving target, nod your head up and down quickly for one minute
    (Your target must remain clearly focused
    keep your head movements SMALL and quick. It is
    not necessary to move head thru full range of
    motion for this exercise, also change the object
    you are focusing on and do near and far, indoors
    and outdoors, sitting and standing, while riding
    not driving in a car)
    7: go for walks and look around alot more than you would usually, exaggerate

This is it. It sounds like alot but it really doesn't take that much time. Let me know if you have trouble finding the BRANDT-DAROFF let me know.

Old 09-23-2003, 01:36 AM   #5
    littleone1972
    (female)

littleone1972 HB User
    Thanks guys for your post. I sent a note to Ilia Roberston and she kindly told me where I needed to call.. I phoned this morning and pushed hard, explained about the job and it looks like I will get an appointment in November, October is completely full. So thank you all for your support, this forum really helps I surfed the web last night and found some stuff, did it not realising you are only supposed to and today is a BAD day... I'm totally stupid I got referred for some physio, not entirely sure that will help, but I go tomorrow. Thanks heaps for the exercises I'm going to start them tonight. will let you know how I go!!!!! THANKS AGAIN

Old 09-23-2003, 04:28 PM   #6
    dizzyinmissouri
    Veteran

dizzyinmissouri HB User
    Smile

I just want to encourage you with your exercises. I was told by the balance center therapist that it is a long process and to be patient. The exercises will make you feel worse (dizzy) for awhile but you will begin to feel better if you are faithful. My dizziness has improved just a little at a time. I still am struggling with pressure but there is certainly an improvement with my dizziness and my overall well-being. Hope it goes well for you!
    Vicki

Closed Thread