It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Questions about SSRI/Decompensation/Physical Pain/ Need some Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
    StarWars1985
    (male)

StarWars1985 HB User
    Questions about SSRI/Decompensation/Physical Pain/ Need some Help!

Hi all,

I don't post here much but I frequently come here to review threads/search past threads for info etc.

Right now I am going through absolute hell. I am going on almost 3 years with inner ear issues that haven't gone away, only the roller coaster ups and downs, "masking" etc. I've had "good/bad" "days" "good/bad" "moments" Most of this just doesn't make sense into how random inner ear issues can be.

My original dx was labs/VN, than I ended up geting BPPV not shortly after my first viral attack which i still have but I manage. I do epleys/exercises, and it's been kind of an on/off thing for me, however, the few seconds of burst vertigo Is a complete laughable joke to what i go through with my other problems/daily life. That is how bad I feel. I wish chronic BPV was my only problem in life.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont want to make too long of a post but a few months ago I had a
    really nasty sinus infection which probably wreaked more damage inside my labryinth, perhaps a second bout of labs?

Anyway... I was wondering if anyone thinks my problems could be from decompensation or depression.

My symptoms: Pretty much 24/7 everyday, severity does fluctuate though

Stiff/Sore Neck `My muscles get so "tight" / So crazy!
    Pain on my scalp, mild jabbing/burning type pain, very itch and annoying.
    A huge array of dizzy symptoms, too big 2 list so i'll skip it.
    My perception of the world is so hazy/so surreal.
    Mild anxiety.
    Brain "farts" I forget things easily/ Mental confusion
    Out of body type feelings, I couldn't even describe how awfull this is.
    Computer screens are killing my eyes, the glare has affected me a lot recently.
    When i close my eyes, all hell breaks loose and i'm flying at a million miles an hour it seems.

All of these symptoms are post viral attacks, I have never ever had any physical trauma done to my body or neck before my dizzy scandal. no car wrecks, nuthin.

Currently I am depressed and feel like giving up on life sometimes.
    I'm in so much pain, and the only things that help are by taking klonopin and xanax at nightime to give me a few "good" hours.

My doctor just prescribed me 10mg lexapro daily, and I am currently on my 3rd day. I don't know if i should continue to take my xanax/klonopins with this, any insight would be great.

My question is can SSRI'S help a person in this type of situation?
    I have seen every doctor from Dr. tim hain to house ear in L.A.
    I am deemed a lost cause, this invisible illness is killing me.
    I am only 23 years old and just want my life back!
    Any insight would be great, I would really appreciate it guys.

Thanks,

Star wars

Last edited by StarWars1985; 03-09-2009 at 02:23 AM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
    violet6
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User
    Re: Questions about SSRI/Decompensation/Physical Pain/ Need some Help!

Hi, StarWars!

Did Dr. Hain not mention migraine to you? What with all the sore scalp, long time of dizzies, light sensitivity, surreal feeling...it all spells migraine associated vertigo. I've got the same thing with most of the symptoms you mention (BPPV, etc), including quite bad depression...it's all connected & is due to messed up brain chemicals. The Lexapro may well help you. SSRIs are sometimes used to treat this problem. You can take the klonopin also, just all in moderation. Lots of info on these things on this board, but you are not crazy...it is totally horrible; meds seem to be the way out.

Take care,
    Violet

Old 03-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi Star Wars,

Violet is absolutely right on. You sound like a textbook case of migraine vertigo. When did you see Hain? I can't believe he didn't pick this out! All of your symptoms point to that diagnosis: the BPPV, the VN, the exacerbation of symptoms from your infection, the fact that it's been 3 years, scalp pain, depression, computer screens killing you ...

Lexapro may very well clean a lot of this up for you because the SSRIs seem to work well for many people with migraine vertigo. The best antidepressant to use, however, is probably Effexor although Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac and Cymbalta are all known to be effective too.

Did Hain not prescribe antimigraine medication?

Scott

Last edited by studyin; 03-09-2009 at 07:03 PM.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #4
    StarWars1985
    (male)

StarWars1985 HB User

hey guys, thanks for the replies.
    I saw doctor hain a few months after i got sick, my orginial complaint was just the labs/and or VN. I saw him before i developed BPPV, got "worse" etc.

i mentioned hain and the house ear inst. in a point of frustation. I should of clarified. I've seen so many doctors but I have never heard of MAV. I don't really have a history of headache though.

Should I continue the lexapro? i'm on 10mg. and what anti migraine type of medicine? i dont really get headaches though that's the thing...

And another thing. Would i benefit from any VRT?

Cheers and god bless,

starwars

Last edited by StarWars1985; 03-11-2009 at 01:13 AM. Reason: typo

Old 03-11-2009, 01:31 AM   #5
    StarWars1985
    (male)

StarWars1985 HB User

i would also like to add.
    one of the other symptoms that bugs the heck out of me.
    certain objects such as led lights or street lamps actually "jump" for a split second, kind of a quick light zoom in/out. and sometimes when i have my eyes closed say laying in bed, and i open them, my perception of the room will look slanted/crooked for a split second than come back to normal. I think the correct term is "oscillopia".

I'm wondering if this is from never compensating right, low seretonin levels, or maybe this possible MAV.

Any insight would be great, i'm so glad for the support on boards like this. most doctors dont have any clue how much hell we have to go through.

-star

Last edited by StarWars1985; 03-15-2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: typo

Old 03-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
    StarWars1985
    (male)

StarWars1985 HB User

any thoughts guys?
    /bump

Old 03-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
    violet6
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User

Hi! I still think it's probably MAV, and I think that MAV has a lot to do with low serotonin, so an SSRI may well help. Look up vestibular migraine or migraine associated vertigo for more info. Also, lots of info on this site. You don't have to have headaches. That's just one sign of migraine activity. There are lots of others...the book "Heal Your Headache" goes into the many ways migraine activity can manifest. I've read in some places that MAV can involve brainstem dysfunction...it definitely affects the inner ear, resulting in the dizzies, and causes all the light/hearing sensitivity & sore scalp (also tingling) as well. For me, the effects of MAV have been stroke-like in their severity, confining me to bed or the house for many months. They have also been constant for me, although they can fluctuate in many people.

Try charting any headache-like symptoms you have...they may be subtle. I never realized that my headaches were migraines, because they usually haven't been super-severe. In fact, it took me a year to believe MAV was my problem.

Did you have inner ear testing/an MRI yet?

VRT can help some people with MAV; it's best to see a really really good vestibular therapist for help.

Take care,
    Violet

Closed Thread