It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Does anyone know why exercise works?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
    renie2
    (female)

renie2 HB User
    Does anyone know why exercise works?

Hi, I could feel so off balanced and lightheaded, yet when I walk briskly, or do cardio on the gym machines (eliptical, or bike) I get my HR up to almost max, and have NO dizziness and feel almost 100% normal afterwards. Does this mean I have a circulation problem to the inner ear, and so exercise gets the circulation going? Maybe it's not viral labs?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
    gabrielkelly
    (female)

gabrielkelly HB User
    Re: Does anyone know why exercise works?

Hey, I'm new on this site too, and just posted something about the whole exercise thing, so when I saw your post wanted to give you some feedback. First, what were you diagnosed with? Or do you know yet? I actually don't have an official diagnosis yet, but know that I have a vestibular dysfunction. I feel like I'm on a rocky boat on and off throughout the day. Whenever I walk, swim, or do any kind of exercise where I'm moving, my symptoms go away completely.

Prior to your symptoms, did you take a cruise, boat trip, fly on a plane by any chance? If so, you could be experiencing Mal de Debarquement syndrome. Although it typically happens after one of the activities I mentioned, it doesn't have to. People with that syndrome are completely symptom free when they are moving (exercise, or in a car). It's so strange, but I'm the same way.

My neurologist and PT also explained that exercise is the BEST way of getting those signals going between your muscles and your brain (which is where the challenge lies with Vestibular Disorders... it's a brain signal issue). They said it's also the best way to oxygenate your body and your brain as well, all needed to help with this balance stuff. Then they went further to explain that exercise just helps with balance in general, and it helps relieve anxiety which often accompanies these awful balance issues... which again helps the overall picture since anxiety makes these vest. dysfunctions/symptoms worse.

I hope this has been helpful... let me know if you have anymore questions. Good luck, and don't worry, with hard work and determination... you will beat your symptoms for sure!

T.K.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
    renie2
    (female)

renie2 HB User
    Re: Does anyone know why exercise works?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabrielkelly View Post
    Hey, I'm new on this site too, and just posted something about the whole exercise thing, so when I saw your post wanted to give you some feedback. First, what were you diagnosed with? Or do you know yet? I actually don't have an official diagnosis yet, but know that I have a vestibular dysfunction. I feel like I'm on a rocky boat on and off throughout the day. Whenever I walk, swim, or do any kind of exercise where I'm moving, my symptoms go away completely.

Prior to your symptoms, did you take a cruise, boat trip, fly on a plane by any chance? If so, you could be experiencing Mal de Debarquement syndrome. Although it typically happens after one of the activities I mentioned, it doesn't have to. People with that syndrome are completely symptom free when they are moving (exercise, or in a car). It's so strange, but I'm the same way.

My neurologist and PT also explained that exercise is the BEST way of getting those signals going between your muscles and your brain (which is where the challenge lies with Vestibular Disorders... it's a brain signal issue). They said it's also the best way to oxygenate your body and your brain as well, all needed to help with this balance stuff. Then they went further to explain that exercise just helps with balance in general, and it helps relieve anxiety which often accompanies these awful balance issues... which again helps the overall picture since anxiety makes these vest. dysfunctions/symptoms worse.

I hope this has been helpful... let me know if you have anymore questions. Good luck, and don't worry, with hard work and determination... you will beat your symptoms for sure!

T.K.

Hi, thanks for the great response. Yes, I had flown just prior to getting a virus. That virus lasted a month, and according to my ENT, went into the inner ear. My dx is Labrynthitis or Vestibular Neuritis. It's interesting that eventually, the "rocky" or "swaying" motion I felt all the time went away, except when I swim. Once I start swimming, i get motion sickness really bad, which i think indicated to my ENT that it was still inner ear viral stuff. It's not really head movement, just the water effect on the inner ear. Does that make sense? The other attack I had in 2006 happened out of the blue. I was feeling great, day was gorgeous, cool, windy, lots of Spring allergies outside and I was running (I had been running almost every day for 25 years). That episode had me flat on my back unable to move for 24 hours, or the room would whirl and I felt like my head was being thrown to the ground, however, I was able to resume activities with minimal motion sickness within a couple days. This is 6 months now of being unable to swim. I am an avid swimmer (swam almost every day - about 12 miles a week) so this is torture for me.

Closed Thread