It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Dizzy/lightheaded and Anxiety Attacks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
    erg57
    (male)

erg57 HB User
    Dizzy/lightheaded and Anxiety Attacks

I know this will sound like others' , but I would like to share my symptoms for your feedback:

I noticed the ground "undulating" under me and then felt dizzy the next day. I thought I had the flu because I felt nauseated and fatigued. Now a month later I am more foggy and lightheaded rather than dizzy (no swirling, etc.) I have had a few days that felt good but it always returns. I also still feel nauseated a lot and am very fatigued I am still able to work but it is difficult to concentrate. I am still able to eat and exercise but it's a chore on some days. Note: I have not had any headaches or earaches, my hearing test was fine. Back of my neck is a bit stiff and sore but I have some history with my neck. I have never had a migraine in my life. Only headaches are if i forget to drink coffee and this happens rarely.

I am now continuously anxious and foggy...kinda shaky and fatigued. I have a even had a few panic-like attacks. This really threw me for a loop. I did not see these coming. Driving really triggers the anxiety and I am not a fearful driver!!! I think the motion triggers something. I am 40 years old. This is the first time this has ever happened to me in my life. What is this? I am at a loss. Admittedly, its been a rough year for my family and I have always been a worrier...high strung, maybe even a bit neurotic/slightly depressed, but c'mon...I was still able to function and enjoy life

I have been to my PCP who diagnosed inner ear infection (labyrnthitis) one month ago. I was given meclizine which did nothing for me. He had to give me Lorazepam for the anxiety which I am now taking more frequently because the anxiety is ramping up. The symptoms did not go away so I went to ENT a few days ago. She said it is NOT an inner ear infection. and she offered no other dx. So I am seeing a neurologist tomorrow. What is he going to test for? What can he look for that the ENT did not? This is really scaring me now.

sorry if this is unorganized. I hope it makes sense. Any advice. Things I can do at home not involving medicine? I will listen to all opinions and advice. I would rather have a broken limb than this. For real.

erg

Last edited by erg57; 09-03-2009 at 12:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
    ryanjames640
    (male)

ryanjames640 HB User
    Re: Dizzy/lightheaded and Anxiety Attacks

Curious but do you have any ringing or anything in your ears? Specifically one ear? I take it your ENT would of found something if you did. But Meneires Disease can cause the feeling you have. I kind of had the same thing as you but I'm pretty sure i have something going on with my right ear cuz when it starts wooshing I can that foggy/drunk feeling. Not dizzy or spinning but just foggy. My allergies start to act up really bad as well...which that could also be the cause if you have allergies.

I actually found that when i took a claritin 24hr over a 4 day period my symptoms almost went away but when i stopped they came back so i'm starting again.

I'm a 30yr old male but recently got a physical and found i have like really low Vitamin D which can cause lightheartedness/anxiety/mood swings which I was surprised to hear about. My dr has me on 2000iu of Vitamin D a day for the next three months.

Do you get headaches? They can be a sign of a greater problem but if you don't then i wouldnt really worry. It's good your going to neuro..i am thinking of doing it as well just to make sure. Let us know what happens.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
    erg57
    (male)

erg57 HB User
    Wink Re: Dizzy/lightheaded and Anxiety Attacks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryanjames640 View Post
    Curious but do you have any ringing or anything in your ears? Specifically one ear? I take it your ENT would of found something if you did. But Meneires Disease can cause the feeling you have. I kind of had the same thing as you but I'm pretty sure i have something going on with my right ear cuz when it starts wooshing I can that foggy/drunk feeling. Not dizzy or spinning but just foggy. My allergies start to act up really bad as well...which that could also be the cause if you have allergies.

I actually found that when i took a claritin 24hr over a 4 day period my symptoms almost went away but when i stopped they came back so i'm starting again.

I'm a 30yr old male but recently got a physical and found i have like really low Vitamin D which can cause lightheartedness/anxiety/mood swings which I was surprised to hear about. My dr has me on 2000iu of Vitamin D a day for the next three months.

Do you get headaches? They can be a sign of a greater problem but if you don't then i wouldnt really worry. It's good your going to neuro..i am thinking of doing it as well just to make sure. Let us know what happens.
    Thanks. No ringing in my ears...maybe every once in a while in both--intermitetnly-- but that has happened for years. I am 40. Hearing is declining but Im not deaf. I would not call it tinnitus.

speak of the devil. I started taking Claritin a couple days ago and have noticed no difference. I am sampling about everythign now hoping it wil help this. I'd eat chewed gum from under school kids' desks ifI knew it would get rid of this....no joke.

I do not get headaches AT ALL. I am one of those folks who just doesn't get them--save the occasional caffeine withdrawal one once or twice a year when traveling and not being coffee accessible. I am taking vitamins and few other minor supplements. I am hydrating and eating well and I am still maintaining exercise. I have always stayed in shape but this last month has been challenging. I am trying to keep a positive attitude in between my panic episodes

Old 10-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
    dkw5023
    (female)

dkw5023 HB User

ur symptoms sound a lot like mine....i was feeling off one day and went to the doc. and they said i had LABRITTHTIS? or something but i had no spinning dizziness just like a weird off balance feeling and stuff....and from then on i havebeen SOOOO FEARFUL that i was gunna get dizzy so nwo i constantly feel weird. but i think its from the anixtey. i too am an insane worrier...my whole life. and a few weeks later i went to an ENT like you did, and they said my doc. could have never dianosged me with that and said i never had it...sooo im in your boat...i dont no really what it is...but im thinking aixtey and neck issues...b/c i too have a sore neck frm carrying things and going on the computer....soo idk..i still worry everyday i will get dizzy...b/c like once in a while like i guess most people get a little dizzy when i move my head or something...but i dont think its related to an ear thing. i hope this helps...and im wondering if this sounds like you? it would help to hear that someone else has the saem issues.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
    Jsnow
    (male)

Jsnow HB User

ERG

Your problem sounds shockingly like mine and I feel like I'm going nuts! I will give you a brief history to compare.

About six months ago I started to notice that something was wrong, especially when I was at the gym. I started having a lightheaded feeling whenever I would work out. At first it was very faint and I more or less ignored the symptoms but gradually they got worse. Some days were good and I hardly noticed any lightheaded/foggy feeling while other days were more severe and like you, it was a chore to exercise. As the months went on, things got progressively worse up until this point. I now constantly have a lightheaded feeling, occasionally I'm dizzy and I have a lot of difficulty driving (especially on the highway). I'm going to see an ENT doctor in a few days. Has your situation improved since your initial post? Did the Neurologist shed some light on your problem? I'm 33 and have never experienced anything like this before and am finding it very frustrating to deal with. The fogginess/lightheaded feeling is effecting my life on all fronts. Please let me know if your situation has improved.

Thanks.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:10 AM   #6
    dkw5023
    (female)

dkw5023 HB User

yea i think we have the same thing.....b/c it is not vertigo...but more of the fear of getting vetgio...for me thats what it is....which then casues me to feel "off" i notice when im home i feel it much less...btu when im at school or mall or some other place notice it more...which makes me think it is anixty related....i do feel better since april when this all started....at that time i was soo scared to even leave the house...but im still worried i am going to get dizzy....but i think the dizziness which is not frequent...is related to a neck problem. i went to a physical therpits and they said c4 and c5 were misaligned....soo i really not sure. but thats what im thinkning. im still worried i have fluid in my ear....or im worried that im losing my hearing in my ear...but again i thikn it is anxiety....b/c my theory is, is that if it hasnt gotten really worse after all these months...then it is def. not an ear thing...however i still worry that its like the start of an ear thing....im a huge worrier soo idk...
    i ahve been to a therpist and it seems to have helped also.
    i hope this helps
    and i hope you get better tooo....i felt very depressssed when this was all happening but im getting out of it day by day.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:11 AM   #7
    dkw5023
    (female)

dkw5023 HB User

sorry JSNOW....i thought your repsonse was directed to me...but i hope my info helps anyway.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
    mommyx4
    (female)

mommyx4 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Dizzy/lightheaded and Anxiety Attacks

Ihave had the same problem for ever, been to the ENT did all kinds of tests, my PCP keeps telling me it is my anxiety, i say okay but there is something that is triggering it, i get ringing and popping in my ears all the time and double vision sense of not myself, severe fatigue, and so on. I have pain in my head not a headache, dull pain i have pain in the back of my neck and am absolutley terrified to get behind the wheel, which just 3 yrs ago was just fine, i do not get it and i think these doctors are stupid i think they have no idea what we are talking about i complain to my PCP on a regular basis and she just looks at me llike i am stupid, what should we do to try to make this stuff change, i am tired of feeling like this and i have no energy and just getting behin the wheel is a chore for me, i am not the same person i was 2-3 yrs ago and i hate taking medicaine and the doc has got me on klonipin which makes me feeel goofy and i have the shakes or tremors all the time, been to a neuro and he just listened to me did not exam me and said it was extreme anxiety and panic attacks tremors and it was just on on set just happened out of nowhere i do not understand CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME AND GUIDE ME IN THE RIGHT AREA?

Old 11-02-2009, 03:49 AM   #9
    dkw5023
    (female)

dkw5023 HB User

i no its hard to think all of these symptoms could be anixtey but....i really think it is. if you hve been to all these doctors and they say nothing is wrong...then you have to start believeing them. i no its hard but.you just have to ignore it and say to yourself...nothing is wrong...im going to ignore it for just one day and see howyou feel. also go see a therpist...it helped me. i still worry...but a lot less since april when all this started. and my advice is get off the meds....
    laugh more
    surround yourself with happy heplful people
    and realize that if something was truely wrong...it would have gotten sooo much worse in these 3 years you have been feeeling bad.
    i hope thise helps a bit
    and i hope you get better
    i no its hard.

Closed Thread