It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

BPPV not going away..

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
sukanya
(female)

sukanya HB Usersukanya HB User
BPPV not going away..

Has anyone ever had an issue with BPPV that just doesn't go away?! I was Dx with vestibular neuritis (left ear) in the beginning of December.. then sometime in January I developed the BPPV in my left ear.

The spinning sensation from BPPV is ONLY triggered when my head is back and to the left in the Epley Maneuver. Otherwise I never get the spins.. just a feeling of lightheadedness and imbalance that comes and goes. I often find it to be worse at night.

I have done the Epley at least 10-15 times since January. Finally, after being persistent about it with my ENT, I started VRT last week. They're trying to get rid of my BPPV, as I am not sure if the imbalance I am feeling is caused by BPPV or residual vestibular neuritis. My PT has me doing epley maneuvers in the office and at home, and I am doing walking (while nodding/shaking my head) exercises at the office. Since I am still getting the spins in the Epley, my PT suggested the "log roll", in case the ear rocks went into the other canal. He has me doing them this week. Today he told me that aside from the Epley and the log roll, there really isn't anything else that they an offer me to get rid of the BPPV.

I am worried since these Epley's really haven't been helping much, that this will never go away! Was wondering if anyone out there has had BPPV for months, is it possible to have it for life.. or does it eventually go away? I know stressing out won't do me any good, but I figured I'd ask.

Lastly, I was also wondering if it was okay for me to go to the gym, while I Have BPPV. I just started back up this week, first time since I got the Vestibular neuritis. I just had to go back, I couldn't wait any longer! I am doing very simple cardio.. nothing where I am in strange head positions, or my head is shaking too much. My PT said it was fine.. but I was wondering if exercising made anyone else's BPPV worse.

Thanks for the help and sorry for my long winded-ness!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
bindar
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Re: BPPV not going away..

I have had BPPV for nearly 1 year without relief. The Epley Maneuver, Semond maneuver, Brandt Daroff maneuver, and log roll excercises have only offered partial relief. I saw an ENT and a PT and I didnt find them particularly helpful because they told me everything I already knew. So I am currently waiting to see an Otologist who will be more likely to have experience treating the more complicated cases like ours. And if this Otologist isnt helpful, then I will try to get a referral to the Otologists at Stanford or UCSF, or drive down to Southern California to see one of the Otologists there with the Epley Omniax chair.

You just have to be your own advocate in the system and make sure you get where you need to go.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #3
sukanya
(female)

thanks for your reply! Do keep us updated after you see the otologist!

Old 05-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
bindar
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

Do you still have nystagmus? This will help diagnose BPPV vs residual VN damage.

Additionally, your nystagmus will tell the examiner which canal has BPPV.

I would perform the Semont maneuver for the left ear. The Semont maneuver is a little more violent and it could dislodge the existing particles.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
sukanya
(female)

No, no nystagmus really. My PT said I didn't have it either. Only time I ever get the spinning sensation is when I am doing the epley or the log roll and I am on my left side. Otherwise I'll just feel lightheaded/drunk. I will definitely bring up the semont maneuver to my PT at the next session. Afraid of trying it myself. Thanks. Any luck for you so far??

Old 05-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
bindar
Veteran
(male)

I have a very faint nystagmus, so I think it would require a VNG or ENG test to read the nystagmus. It is possible that this could also be the case for you...

I have an ENT appointment on May 23. I suspect that he will order some testing and hopefully get me in contact with one of the Otologist/Neurotologists in the healthcare network.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
bindar
Veteran
(male)

UPDATE: I havent yet seen an Otologist, but I saw an ENT who was experienced with treating dizziness. My ENT found no nystagmus with the frenzel goggles, and after learning more about my symptoms, he thinks i have Vestibular Migraine. On another forum, I talked to the owner of a dizzy clinic and he told me that he often sees patients with residual dizziness/vertigo after being treated for BPPV. He said that he always finds a secondary cause of the symptoms like Vestibular Migraine or an uncompensated vestibular injury.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
Molly1949
(female)

Molly1949 HB User

This may sound goofy (and I certainly am not any sort of medical person) but I started having BPPV attacks that got closer and closer. I accidentally saw a movie in which Merryl Streep played a shrink who gave a patient advice on BPPV - she said to not clean out the ear wax - leave some in. On the slim chance that she was onto something I took her advice and I've not had any episodes since then (over a year and 1/2 now). Hope this helps.
I need advice on Tinnitus now. My GP just said it was very hard to cure and left it at that. Big help. Any ideas?

Closed Thread