It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• Question about vestibular neuritis and anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #16
    AmberWaves91
    (female)

AmberWaves91 HB UserAmberWaves91 HB UserAmberWaves91 HB User
    Re: Question about vestibular neuritis and anxiety

Oh I'm sorry for your cold and feeling setback. :/ Decompensating is so frustrating and discouraging. It seems like we're going right along, getting stronger, then it feels like a couple steps forward and a step back. I have felt a cold coming on and am worried.
    I'm going into my 13th month with this thing. Traveling for me makes it worse and I've traveled a lot, mainly in the car, during this time. It always takes 2-3 days to a week to bounce back to where I was before. Right now, have that floaty feeling and like I am on a boat and my vision is jumping a little bit. Have good days and bad days. Am trying to stay positive and see that I'm getting better which is hard to do with this thing.

The following user gives a hug of support to AmberWaves91:
    Bren819 (11-13-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #17
    Bren819
    (female)

Bren819 HB UserBren819 HB User

My advise to you and anyone dealing with this try with everything not to get a cold,flu etc it will set u backi have gotten 2 cold in the 9 months ive been dealing with this and the first cold sent me back 3 weeks to return to my former state before i had gotten the cold and now im almost 2 weeks in to the cold still cant kick it or the decompensation i am experiencing ughhhh.

few questions does anyone have any advise as to natural methods to help with anxiety??? We are not supposed to take any because they will slow the brain from compensating even all natural anxiety meds are no good stay away!!But I am currently on a Beta Blocker (metoprolol)and wondered if anyone has taken it while dealing with labs and or vn??

My ear doctor knew I was on it and he seemed to say it was fine to take it while recovering just want to keep moving forward not backwards even though its part of the recovery process...and Im curious how much time per day all of u are spending on VRT ??? exercises at home etc ?

I have heard all sorts of people say only 20 mins to an hour a day,but diligence is key...I was in physical therapy for about 2 months and she said the key to get better is to keep doing the exercises every day few times a day even when u are having a good day.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-13-2013 at 10:33 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Bren819:
    AmberWaves91 (11-14-2013)
    Old 11-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #18
    AmberWaves91
    (female)

I used to do 20 minutes to a half hour every day of VRT. This included visual exercises and standing exercises. Such as walking while turning head and looking at objects, and standing on a board, whilst correcting myself when I lose my balance. That was in the summer, during the time and a few weeks after VRT. The therapist said to do them until they become ineffective. Now most of them are. But, that's a good thing, not bad. It means I've compensated really well. I really think with this condition we underestimate how far we have come. Trying to see 'the bigger picture' and notice the small improvements, however small they maybe. They're incremental, but they are there. I figure, it's been over a year, but I'd say I am about 80% or slightly more from where this thing first started.
    I'm having a hard time with my visual right now, of objects jumping around. So then return to the exercises for that.

I guess at a certain stage, it's ok to take certain meds that won't keep you back. My doc and VRT therapist said so. I don't understand it, though. I do know that when I take a beta blocker, it takes the edge of absolute panic I feel especially when I have a 'spell'. I mean, I'm dizzy all the time, 24/7, but I will have episodes that are overwhelming. The other day, I was standing and looked down at a floor that had busy patterns on it, and the whole floor seemed to move, slide right under my feet. I was able to keep under my feet though, and not go into a terrible panic. In general, am able to respond calmly, and use what I know from VRT, and cope with it from own experience as well.

This whole thing sucks, and goes on so long. It feels so long, like a lifetime. Trying to focus on the small changes on progress, though, and remember it really won't be forever.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: AmberWaves91
    biteneck (11-15-2013),Bren819 (11-15-2013)
    The Following User Says Thank You to AmberWaves91 For This Useful Post:
    biteneck (11-15-2013)
    Old 11-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #19
    Bren819
    (female)

Thanku Amber for sharing your info ... I see u mentioned your on a beta blocker too that makes me feel more at ease and ur right they do help alot with the fight or flight feeling...I actually only started taking them because of an irregular heart beat known as PVCs ...But also when I first got sick with vn I had horrible headaches and migraines felt like I was hungover x 10 sick to my stomach and horrible pounding headaches which thankfully since I have slowly gotten better they improved ..I still get sick to my stomach ,headaches if I'm going through a blip ...beta blockers are good for many things actually ...would I prefer to not take anything sure but I find I'm very on edge when I stopped taking them temporarily ...tonight I went to the movies and it was ok felt very nervous though ...wish I could of been more relaxed ..although it is very very difficult at times I make myself do things even if I don't enjoy them like I normally would ...I guess part of that is the stubborn in me wanting to be active and sick of feeling like a hermit I hate feeling limited as to what I can and can't do...amber u say its a good thing when exercises don't stir us up anymore ?? I find alot of the exercises I was doing dont make me dizzy aka stirred up like they once did ...guess I will have to make myself do harder ones walking in the dark is still very hard and disoriented

The following user gives a hug of support to Bren819:
    biteneck (11-15-2013)
    Old 11-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #20
    Bren819
    (female)

JUST curious has anyone been doing good having alot of good days then BAM u feel terrible one day?i had a episode earlier where I thought i was having a good day then all of a sudden i felt like i was going to pass out and had the dreamy like state and very lightheadedthen turned into a bad day

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Bren819
    AmberWaves91 (11-17-2013),biteneck (11-18-2013)
    Old 11-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #21
    AmberWaves91
    (female)

Hi...yeah what the VRT therapist said was that the exercises would stir things up a bit, but then would straighten things out later. If it doesn't, or if you notice there is no benefit for it from what you perceive, then you can stop. But, keep in mind that exercises are also individual and I used to get feedback from the therapist. I would relay to her what the exercises were doing. If they were ineffective, she'd say "ok you can stop those then". Then add some others, or increase for some of them. She also, at the end of my 6 weeks of therapy said that if any of them seem to not stir up symptoms, or if they had no effect at all, or were too easy, then stop.

I do have 'good' days and 'bad' days. I am starting to call them my 'stop' and 'go' days. I do, as you say will have really good days, and then BAM I will have a moment or moments that day that is ferocious. I think try not to focus too much on that and focus on how well the rest of the day is.
    Also will have a really good day, some pretty close to feeling normal, well, 90% better, and then the next day will be absolutely horrible.
    Again, am really trying to focus, to notice how well I feel, and not dwell too much on the bad. I think it makes a big difference toward healing and recovery.

The following user gives a hug of support to AmberWaves91:
    biteneck (11-18-2013)
    Old 11-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #22
    biteneck
    (female)

biteneck HB Userbiteneck HB Userbiteneck HB User

Hi there,
    I know exactly what you mean about the dreamy feeling so badly that you think you will pass out. It's really scary. I have an appt. at the inner ear doctor on Dec 13. I went to see him last year in June 2012 but was told to give it time. Well, it's been 1.5 years since then that I've been waiting it out so now I'm willing to see what medication will help.
    I've only driven about 5-6 times maybe the past 20 months and feel so confined because I used to love driving. I'd hop in the car and go. I am so scared to drive and shopping is horrendous because of the dream feeling.
    I wish you a recovery soon. We understand how you feel! Keep the faith and keep chugging along.
    Nicole

Last edited by Administrator; 12-09-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #23
    biteneck
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AmberWaves91 View Post
    Hi...yeah what the VRT therapist said was that the exercises would stir things up a bit, but then would straighten things out later. If it doesn't, or if you notice there is no benefit for it from what you perceive, then you can stop. But, keep in mind that exercises are also individual and I used to get feedback from the therapist. I would relay to her what the exercises were doing. If they were ineffective, she'd say "ok you can stop those then". Then add some others, or increase for some of them. She also, at the end of my 6 weeks of therapy said that if any of them seem to not stir up symptoms, or if they had no effect at all, or were too easy, then stop.

I do have 'good' days and 'bad' days. I am starting to call them my 'stop' and 'go' days. I do, as you say will have really good days, and then BAM I will have a moment or moments that day that is ferocious. I think try not to focus too much on that and focus on how well the rest of the day is.
    Also will have a really good day, some pretty close to feeling normal, well, 90% better, and then the next day will be absolutely horrible.
    Again, am really trying to focus, to notice how well I feel, and not dwell too much on the bad. I think it makes a big difference toward healing and recovery.
    Hello,
    I have posted on here recently about my vestibular problems. I noticed you said you are taking a beta-blocker. Do you feel that is helping your vestibular problems? My worst parts are driving, I can't drive with this and shopping. I can't walk through the stores without feeling dizzy, disorienting and feeling like I'm going to pass out. It's very scary. Have you felt these? Thank you in advance for your input. Hope you all are feeling better.
    Nicole

Old 01-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #24
    Bren819
    (female)

so my year mark is coming up dealing with vn,and Im wondering if I should continue the VRT?Im curious if any of you other suffers if anyone has done VRT the whole time or was told to stop at a certain point.I am getting better but still very slowly of course.I am active as can be but really want to be back to my old self or close...

Old 01-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #25
    biteneck
    (female)

Hello,
    I only did VRT for two weeks. My doc just dx me with MAV. I have heard that if the VRT does not stir up dizzies, that it's done it's job. I have heard also that you should keep doing them once in a while to keep your brain compensated. I was doing better last summer, I think that's because I was exercising more often. I had hardly any anxiety and dizziness. Then in September, wham. Dizziness in stores and lightheadedness and these dreamy feeling again. This illness really sucks and really sucks that there is no real meds to help. I hope you get better.
    Take care,
    Nicole

Old 01-28-2014, 05:26 AM   #26
    Bren819
    (female)

yes,im a week away from my year anniversary dealing with this crap,and I have times where Im feeling as good as 85% my old self,then bam next few weeks feel horrible again...I believe hormones play a big part for me and if I dont get much sleep I always feel way worse.Its def an up and down illness...

Old 02-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #27
    Bren819
    (female)

I was wondering how everyone is doing? I recently have been informed that for us vn suffers it could very well turn into migraine associated Vertigo....Has anyone know how to tell,i hit my year mark this month and now Im really wondering if the reason Im not better all the way is because thats now what I have...Info would be greatly appreciated.also any one know what the average recovery rate for vn is for us long tern suffers?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #28
    biteneck
    (female)

Hi there,
    I have been suffering for almost two years. My inner ear doctor dx me with migrain associated vertigo in December 2013. He put me on Klonopin for the anxiety I feel from feeling this way. I have a follow-up appt. this Friday. I am hoping to be given a proper medicine to help with this. I wonder if our brains get so bombarded with having to keep us balanced that, that is what can kick off the MAV. I hope you get better. Have you seen a neuro-otologist? I wish you the best.
    Let me know how you get along.
    Nicole
    PS-Do you have any vestibular loss? That would be shown by a caloric test.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #29
    Bren819
    (female)

biteneck have u gotten any better in 2 years??And what exactly are ur symptoms are they every day all day?Most days Im functioning at probly 70%,but on a really good day I feel 90%....I feel like Im stuck at 70%,though so Im getting restless in my efforts to get better...I went to one neuro last year who was a waste of my time,she was too old to even understand what she was saying and was no help what so ever I plan on going to a different one and possible seeing a neuro that specializes in balance too...

Old 02-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #30
    Bren819
    (female)

also I was told my eye doctor last time I saw him that being on a beta blocker would help if i had vestibular migraine..I took it for almost a full year and felt no different,I was on Toporal which is a generic..But then I hear stories how sometimes only certain ones work for certain people...I was prescribed verapamil and never took it though,wondering if I should try that instead...

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, dizzy, vertigo, vestibular neuritis